Otis vs. Pyrus

[name]Otis[/name] is my favorite boy’s name, but my husband loves Pyrus. Which do you think works best? See signature for the combos.

Pyrus? As in pyromaniac or pyrrhic victory? I think that’s stretching it way too far.
I love [name]Alasdair[/name] – not sure where you got the spelling Alastor – but I don’t know about [name]Otis[/name]. Most schools sell the Spunkmeyer cookies… From your signature names, I like [name]Torquil[/name], [name]Magnus[/name], and [name]Blaise[/name] the best.

Pyrus is the name for a genus of trees. Alastor is from Greek
mythology.

I love [name]Otis[/name], [name]Theodore[/name], [name]Aurelius[/name], [name]Linus[/name], [name]Phineas[/name], and [name]Oliver[/name] as mn. [name]India[/name] is perfect too!

Definitely [name]Otis[/name] Alastor, although it’s a little hissy when I say it aloud.

I just don’t find Pyrus attractive at all. It sounds too much like an illness or medical condition to me, probably because I find it too similar to words like pyrosis (heartburn) or a slew of py- words relating to pus.

Definitely, definitely [name]Otis[/name].

Def! [name]Otis[/name]… its sooo super cute!

[name]Otis[/name] for sure! And [name]Otis[/name] Alastor sounds funky and cool, like a really well-named fictional character.

Pyrus sounds like a flower or plant so I’d say [name]Otis[/name].

Pyrus is just bad. It would be like naming a kid Malus or Prunus. Biological classifications do not make good names.

I don’t see anything positive about Alastor, either. It was used as an insult in Greek. In Greek mythology, Alastor was the avenger of evil deeds, specifically familial bloodshed. The name was also used by writers to designate any deity or demon who avenged wrongs committed by men. In Christian demontology, it came to be considered a possessing entity (likened to Nemesis) and the name was used as a general term for a class of evil spirits. Everything about this name is evil.

Otis would get my vote but with a different middle name, perhaps the similar sounding Alasdair, which is the Scottish form of Alexander.

I prefer [name]Otis[/name] by far. [name]Otis[/name] is certainly bold, but far more appealing than Pyrus. Pyrus would be cool middle though (so would [name]Otis[/name] for that matter). Good luck!

Neither but if you had to choose one it would be [name]Otis[/name].

I definitely prefer [name]Otis[/name].

[name]LOVE[/name] [name]Otis[/name]! I think [name]Juniper[/name] and [name]Otis[/name] are wonderful together. I don’t love [name]Otis[/name] Alastor, but I think something like [name]Otis[/name] Oleander, [name]Otis[/name] [name]Alistair[/name]/[name]Otis[/name] [name]Alasdair[/name], or [name]Otis[/name] [name]Theodore[/name] would be lovely options. I like the sound of Pyrus (and most -s names for boys!), and the idea of it, but it seems to get fairly negative responses across the board so if I used it, I would probably use it as a mn only. Something like [name]Theodore[/name] Pyrus would be cool!

Good luck!