Our Faves

Okay… time to share our favorites & why! Whoops, sorry, I think my computer had a problem there…

BOYS
[name]Miles[/name]- Mmm, love this one. I like most boy names that end in a z- sounding ‘s’ like [name]James[/name].
[name]Levi[/name]- The jaunty -vi and comfortable [name]Le[/name]- make for a great name.

GIRLS
[name]Rochelle[/name]- A lovely, fresh, French alternative to [name]Rachel[/name]. Plus there are the nicknames [name]Elle[/name] and [name]Ellie[/name].
[name]Jane[/name]- The simplicity and familiarity of it is beautiful. It had its moments of over-popularity but is now in something of oblivion. Bring it back!

I’ll list 2:

[name]Rufus[/name]: Charming, suave and comfy all at the same time.
[name]Winifred[/name]: [name]Love[/name] her starchy, proper feel and the contrast to how open and free [name]Winnie[/name] feels.

This a fun topic!
Today I love [name]Lionel[/name] [name]Andrew[/name] and [name]Annika[/name] [name]Fern[/name].
[name]Lionel[/name] because I love lions. Plus I just discovered that he was a knight of the round table!
[name]Andrew[/name] because that’s my husband’s middle name.
[name]Annika[/name] because we have lots of relatives on either side named [name]Ann[/name] or [name]Anna[/name] plus I love the little neighbor girl in [name]Pippi[/name] Longstocking.
[name]Fern[/name] because I love fern plants and it sounds so much like my maiden name.

There are names I love and names I’d use; I have a soft spot for exotic names like [name]Paloma[/name] and [name]Cosima[/name] but I’m pretty sure my daughter will inherit my red hair and freckles, so that’s all wrong. For the past couple of years, I’ve been stuck on the combo [name]Louise[/name] [name]Aimee[/name] [name]Ernestine[/name], which makes the fiance roll his eyes. I love [name]Louise[/name] because it’s classic, sounds exactly the same in French and English, and has the sassy nickname Weezy. (Oh yes, I would.) [name]Aimee[/name] sounds charming in French and means “beloved,” which she would be… I never thought I’d want to have kids. And [name]Ernestine[/name] is my beloved grandmother, my favorite person on [name]Earth[/name], and even though she doesn’t like her name either, just hearing her name makes me feel warm and loved.

For boys, I can never settle on a favorite. [name]Jules[/name] to honor my [name]BIL[/name] (his mn is [name]Julius[/name]), [name]Enzo[/name] because I lurrrrv it, and [name]Atticus[/name] because of Mockingbird… even though I’ll never get to use [name]Atticus[/name]. I still love it.

My favorites for boys are:
[name]Tucker[/name] [name]Alan[/name] [name]Michael[/name] (the mn are for our fathers)
[name]Archer[/name] Clebert [name]Roy[/name] (mns for our grandpas. My husband is an archer, too, so it is kind of like naming after him).
I love the country feel of these names and think that they are fairly unique. The middle names are important to us, too. But we can’t agree on any girls! Right now I am liking [name]Hazel[/name], [name]June[/name], [name]Emery[/name], [name]Gemma[/name], [name]Alice[/name], [name]Maisie[/name] and [name]Holly[/name]. His favorites (that I like) are [name]Milly[/name] and [name]Christian[/name].

I mean to say!

[name]Don[/name]'t you think that [name]Levi[/name] is underused? I can see why the 1st poster likes it. Maybe with the popularity of all those ‘V’ names it will be rediscovered. And, Melisa2, I love [name]Louise[/name] [name]Aimee[/name] [name]Ernestine[/name] - so beautiful.

Today I love [name]Anna[/name] more than [name]Annika[/name]. This happens. I think I love one name the best and then the next day I don’t love it as much. So today I love [name]Anna[/name] [name]Cordelia[/name]. [name]Cordelia[/name] was my grandmother’s middle name and she deserves to be honored (even though she was always grumpy and smelled) because she raised eight kids during the depression even after she got divorced. Then she took in borders. Today I still love [name]Lionel[/name] [name]Andrew[/name]. [name]Andrew[/name] never changes.

[name]Anna[/name] [name]Cordelia[/name] is fabulous. I like [name]Annika[/name] and [name]Anya[/name] for their spin on on the classic [name]Anna[/name], but there is just something about names like [name]Anna[/name], [name]Jane[/name], and [name]Kate[/name] ([name]Katherine[/name]) that continue to be appealing. Combining it with [name]Cordelia[/name] definitely gives it a more unique feel. Right now I also love:

[name]Anna[/name] [name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Anna[/name] [name]Sophia[/name]
[name]Anna[/name] [name]Luciana[/name]
[name]Anna[/name] [name]Frances[/name]
[name]Anna[/name] [name]Cecilia[/name]

[name]Smitty[/name], you’re the best! You’re the only other person who’s heard my [name]Louise[/name] combo and not gagged. :wink:

[name]Susan[/name], while I can be objective enough to see that [name]Anna[/name] is a pretty name, in my area it’s sooooooo overused on baby girls. I can think of half-a-dozen Annas without even trying. [name]Anna[/name] [name]Grace[/name] (times two). [name]Anna[/name] [name]Olivia[/name]. [name]Anna[/name] [name]Lynn[/name]. [name]Anna[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]. So for me, [name]Annika[/name] would be preferable based on originality alone. I have a student called [name]Annick[/name]-- I really like that one too.

This is really sad but I live in L.A. where names like [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Lucy[/name], and [name]Anna[/name] are a breath of fresh air. I think it’s because people don’t love tradition as much out here. Plus I’m 49. It is extremely unlikely that I will ever have any more babies, so I can have my [name]Anna[/name] fantasy forever if I want to. [name]Henry[/name] is also very rare where I live unless your kid goes to a very nice private school. I am blown away by the names that are popular back [name]East[/name]. They are often really classic. I just looked at the top 100 names for [name]CA[/name] on ssa gov. [name]Anna[/name] is #92! [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Lucy[/name], and [name]Henry[/name] aren’t even on the list. It’s like I live in a different country than you live in. That’s why it’s really fun to go on vacation. But I love L.A. because it’s so beautiful, warm, and has mountains and palm trees and gorgeous flowers even in the dead of winter.
[name]Smitty[/name], I love all the middle names you put with [name]Anna[/name], especially [name]Clementine[/name]. [name]Anna[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] is wonderful, too. My daughter loves the name [name]Anna[/name], so maybe she will use it someday. She also loves [name]Catherine[/name].

[name]Just[/name] thought of another [name]Anna[/name] variation”I know a wonderful woman named [name]Anouk[/name] (she’s French), which sounds so exotic to my ear.

I think it’s pretty! I love [name]Louise[/name]/[name]Louisa[/name] my my husband won’t go for it. And don’t you think that sometimes the meanings behind the name (after grandma, etc) can make a name that might not normally be your favorite be very special and beautiful to you? That is definently how I feel about some of the names that we like :slight_smile:

i totally agree with that. i wonder how much i would like certain names if they weren’t connected to such important people in my life. but since they are, i just love them so much. almost all of my favorite names are the ones that have the most meaning.

i totally agree with that. i wonder how much i would like certain names if they weren’t connected to such important people in my life. but since they are, i just love them so much. almost all of my favorite names are the ones that have the most meaning.[/quote]

I love names from my family! Sometimes I’m not certain that they are actually my favorite names in the world but I just love them because they are family names. That is why I love [name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]Anna[/name] so much. My sister chose [name]Rebecca[/name] for her daughter’s middle name. We had a wonderful Great Great Aunt [name]Rebecca[/name] who was very generous and kind to my father’s family. Her sister who was also wonderful was [name]Libby[/name], short for [name]Elizabeth[/name]. My daughter’s middle name is [name]Elizabeth[/name]. My mom and sister’s middle names are also [name]Elizabeth[/name], too. I am so glad those independent, educated and wonderful aunts live on in our family even though I never met them. They died years before I was born. [name]Ann[/name] was the name of my great grandmother and [name]Anna[/name] was the middle name of my husband’s grandmother. I also have one cousin named [name]Ann[/name] and another named [name]Rebecca[/name]. If I had more than one daughter, I would be tempted to give them all [name]Elizabeth[/name] as a middle name.

There must be something about the name [name]Elizabeth[/name], huh? I’ve got a great-great aunt [name]Betty[/name] who died long before I was born, but I’ve heard so many great stories about. My grandfather’s cousin [name]Bess[/name] was also completely amazing. My mom wanted to name me [name]Elizabeth[/name], but my maiden name is [name]Taylor[/name] and she thought that would be too much to live up to.

my favorite girls name, Lulette, is my favorite because it was my great-grandmother’s name. She’s the mother of my grandpa, who’s one of the most important people in the world to me. And he thought the world of her. She had an incredible life, and lived to be 101. She didn’t die until I was twelve, but sadly I never met her, she lived very far away. I so wish I could have met her. Anyway, the name has always been so familiar to me that until a couple years ago I had no idea it was so uncommon. And though there are so many other girls names that I adore, I think I would always regret it if I were to name my potential first daughter anything else.