Our final two! Connor vs. Asher

DH and I have finally narrowed down our list to our final two names for our baby boy due in a few weeks!

What do you think of [name]Connor[/name] and [name]Asher[/name]??

I’m personally leaning toward [name]Asher[/name] because I don’t really want to feel like we’re settling for the “safe” choice (both of our families are pretty conservative when it comes to names and we’re not telling them until after baby arrives). Other names that I loved that DH vetoed were [name]Seamus[/name], [name]Leo[/name], [name]Levi[/name], [name]Charles[/name], [name]Henry[/name], [name]Desmond[/name], [name]Samson[/name], [name]Finn[/name], [name]Donovan[/name], [name]Dexter[/name] and [name]Sebastian[/name]. So I definitely think [name]Asher[/name] fits in with these classic and under-used names that I’ve been pushing for all along. I also think it’s the “cooler” of the two names… it seems like it would suit a rugged, sporty, outdoorsy guy.

On the other hand [name]Connor[/name] is a very comfortable name for us and it’s classic and strong. I have an issue with there being various spellings of it, though… both DH and I have constantly had our names misspelled growing up and it’s one thing I was hoping to avoid doing to our son. I also like that [name]Connor[/name] is an Irish name in honour of my mom who was born there… so our boy will be a second generation Irish ‘immigrant’. [name]Connor[/name] also seems to be a lot more common than [name]Asher[/name], but it doesn’t seem to be rampant where I live anyway.

I prefer [name]Asher[/name]. I dont think [name]Connor[/name] ages really well. Everytime I hear the name it seems to be on someone in the under 10 age group. [name]Asher[/name] is more distinctive and original, and I think it will age well.

I’ve never met anyone by the name of [name]Asher[/name] OR [name]Connor[/name], but I do agree that it’s hard to picture a grown man named [name]Connor[/name].

I prefer [name]Connor[/name]. Compared to [name]Asher[/name], it is more well rounded and masculine. [name]Asher[/name] actually sounds quite feminine to me, probably because I have come across several [name]Ashley[/name]'s that go by [name]Ash[/name]. [name]Asher[/name] definitely sounds like it could be possibly used as a girl’s name, while [name]Connor[/name] is definitely all boy and classic.

[name]Asher[/name]! So elegant and handsome and distinctive. [name]Connor[/name] sounds is rather unmemorable and lacks imagination. It also sounds like a name that is dated to the 90’s.

I am a big fan of the book The Giver, thus I prefer the name [name]Asher[/name].

Definitely [name]Asher[/name]. [name]Connor[/name] is cutesy, [name]Asher[/name] is handsome.

I think [name]Connor[/name] will seem much more dated. [name]Asher[/name] is more distinguished and has more history to back it up.