Our First Child-Any Ideas?

Hello, berries! [name_f]My[/name_f] DH and I are expecting our first child, a baby boy, in [name_u]December[/name_u]. DH has avoided the topic of names for three months, and now that we’ve actually discussed them, we have very little in common.

DH’s Favorites:

[name_f]Ava[/name_f]
[name_m]Cooper[/name_m]
[name_u]Aiden[/name_u]
[name_u]Evan[/name_u]
[name_m]Gavvin[/name_m] (yes, with two v’s)
[name_f]Emily[/name_f]
[name_f]Jennifer[/name_f]

I don’t hate any of these, I just don’t particularly like them.

[name_f]My[/name_f] Favorites:

[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_m]Maxwell[/name_m]
[name_m]Nicholas[/name_m]
[name_m]Judah[/name_m]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Miranda[/name_f]

Thankfully, we’ve agreed on middles, [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_f]Marie[/name_f], or [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f]. Any ideas of names we both might like?

His favorites are very popular. Not that that makes them bad names, but maybe you can get him to see it from that angle–that with some of his names your child might be one of several in their classes. And try to find updated versions of his names.

Some of your names have some cross over, like [name_f]Ava[/name_f] and [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]… maybe you could compromise with [name_f]Eva[/name_f] or [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] nickname [name_f]Eva[/name_f] or [name_f]Evie[/name_f].

[name_f]Emily[/name_f] and [name_f]Lily[/name_f] are similar… maybe [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Millie[/name_f]? And maybe he’d like [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] more with the nn [name_f]Mira[/name_f]? [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] would be gorgeous.

As for boys… I think you should work on him with [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m]. :wink: [name_u]Max[/name_u] seems like he’d fit in on his list too. Such an approachable name. Otherwise, maybe find some names with that you like with similar sounds to the ones he likes. [name_m]Calvin[/name_m]? – similar to [name_m]Gavin[/name_m] but not as popular and maybe more current?

[name_m]How[/name_m] about:

[name_u]Owen[/name_u]
[name_u]Emmett[/name_u]
[name_m]Bennett[/name_m]
[name_m]Holden[/name_m]
[name_u]Hudson[/name_u]

[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] as a first
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]

[name_u]Evan[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u] is lovely, as is [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] [name_f]Marie[/name_f]. [name_m]Both[/name_m] of these choices are also not as popular right now…

[name_f]Ava[/name_f] & [name_f]Emily[/name_f] are lovely classic choices, as are [name_m]Nicolas[/name_m], [name_m]Felix[/name_m], [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m], [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] & [name_f]Lily[/name_f].

Personally [name_m]Gavvin[/name_m] & [name_m]Judah[/name_m] would be off the list. The two v thing you would need to explain frequently & [name_m]Judah[/name_m] is fairly negative biblically…

[name_f]My[/name_f] sister is [name_f]Megan[/name_f] [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] :slight_smile:

[name_m]Just[/name_m] a quick note-the girls names are for the future. DH and I figured, might as well discuss both genders now and get it over with.

The best matches of your middle names to my ears: [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f], and [name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_f]Marie[/name_f]. The popularity of [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] has been on a steady decline (#191 in the United States in 2013) and I have honestly only met two in my life, both of whom are in their 30’s. [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f], too, is uncommon. ([name_f]My[/name_f] grandmother, in her 80’s, is the only [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] I’ve met.)