Our huge list - what should we pick?

Only a few weeks left until we will meet our little one. We don’t know the sex of our baby which makes the naming process so much harder! Plus, We live in the UK (my SO is british with Irish heritage), but I am of Swedish heritage and I dream of one day moving back to [name]France[/name] were I lived as a child. So, we would like a name that works in a lot of countries and we would prefer if it wasn’t too popular and if it soundes good with my daughters name, [name]Melina[/name].

It would be very helpful if you could comment or whatever on our huge girls list now when you know a little about us and what we want in a name.

Our list:
[name]Aoife[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Hermia[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name]
[name]Jocelyn[/name]
[name]Leonora[/name]
[name]Niamh[/name]
[name]Noelle[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Sienna[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]

Please be very honest about your opinions. No harsh feelings. Its better to hear the opinions now than when we already have a 2 yo with a bad name :wink:

[name]Aoife[/name] - I love this name, but don’t think it travels very well due to pronunciation/spelling. You didn’t mention anything in your post about Irish ties, so this doesn’t really seem to fit with your family and plans.
[name]Alice[/name] - Sweet name, but I’ve never been a huge fan – probably because I’ve always though [name]Alice[/name] in Wonderland was just weird.
[name]Arabella[/name] - This one could work very well for you. I think the pronunciation is pretty intuitive in most languages, and it goes nicely with [name]Melina[/name]. Different, yet with the same flow.
[name]Adeline[/name] - I like this a lot. I like how it pairs the “lin” sound with [name]Melina[/name] but is kind of hidden in there – it doesn’t jump out at you right away.
[name]Adelaide[/name] - This one is very pretty too and I think sounds good with [name]Melina[/name] too.
[name]Freya[/name] - I love this name. It definitely seems to give a nod toward your Swedish background which is cool.
[name]Hermia[/name] - Not a fan. Reminds me of Herpes or some other disease.
[name]Isadora[/name] - Very pretty and a good pair with [name]Melina[/name].
[name]Jocelyn[/name] - I’m just not a fan of this name, but that’s just me. I think a lot of people like it. I don’t like the popular “lyn” ending for names, and the “Joce” beginning just feels '80s to me. I don’t know why.
[name]Leonora[/name] - This is an interesting choice, but it seems a bit too old fashioned compared with [name]Melina[/name]. It also sounds quite similar to the ending of [name]Melina[/name]. Try shouting out both names as though you were on the playground. It might get to be a tongue-twister.
[name]Niamh[/name] - love it, but see my caveats under [name]Aoife[/name].
[name]Noelle[/name] - This is one of my all-time favorite names. Gorgeous! We used it for DD’s middle name and I’m bummed I can’t use it again!
[name]Rosalie[/name] – Very pretty, and I think it’s a nice pair with [name]Melina[/name]. [name]Hope[/name] you’re not a big Twilight fan though.
[name]Stella[/name] - This has a couple shared sounds with [name]Melina[/name], the schwa “e” and the “a” ending. I don’t know, it just doesn’t seem right to me.
[name]Sienna[/name] - This seems very trendy compared with [name]Melina[/name].
[name]Scarlett[/name] - This seems to be going in a really different direction from [name]Melina[/name]. I don’t know if that’s necessarily a bad thing, but they don’t really “go” together. I was a big advocate for this name with DD#1, so I definitely like it, but it is getting more popular.

Those are just my thoughts. Great list! I wish I could come up with so many I loved!

Thank you for your reply kelleita. You are right, I didn’t mention anything about irish ties in my post. I totally forgot about it. [name]Truth[/name] to be told, my SO’s paternal grandparents are from [name]Ireland[/name]. I will add that to my post. Thank you for pointing it out!

Didn’t want to say it but as you mentioned it - [name]Melina[/name] is very similar to melena/melaena… Sorry you didn’t realise that before using it.

To your list:
[name]Aoife[/name] - i think this would be a hard name to live with unless you actually live in [name]Ireland[/name] regardless of irish ties.
[name]Alice[/name] - pretty, simple, like it
[name]Arabella[/name] - hmmm never really liked this name. think it’s a bit too ott for me
[name]Adeline[/name] - love [name]Adelyn[/name] more but still nice
[name]Adelaide[/name] - again one i’ve never really liked but again is a personal thing
[name]Freya[/name] - not sure
[name]Hermia[/name] - this looks a bit made up to me like you were trying to do [name]Hermione[/name] but avoid the [name]Harry[/name] potter association
[name]Isadora[/name] - pretty maybe a tad ott for me… (I like simple elegant names without frill though…)
[name]Jocelyn[/name] - i like this but i know a boy with the name so it’s a male name to me
[name]Leonora[/name] - again to ott for me but it seems to be your style so ignore me!
[name]Niamh[/name] - pretty but again i think it would be difficult to live with if not in [name]Ireland[/name]
[name]Noelle[/name] - very pretty and elegant - like it just have to watch for the [name]Noel[/name] mispronounciation and following teasing…
[name]Rosalie[/name] - pretty but a little too fluffy for me
[name]Stella[/name] - sorry reminds me of a very unpleasant chav i went to school with…
[name]Sienna[/name] - like this very pretty
[name]Scarlett[/name] - not a fan of colour names

My favs would be [name]Alice[/name], [name]Adelyn[/name], [name]Noelle[/name] and [name]Sienna[/name]. And ignoring my dislike for fluffiness [name]Isadora[/name] and [name]Rosalie[/name] are nice too!
I also love the names [name]Cherie[/name] and [name]Vienne[/name].

[name]Rachel[/name]

[name]Aoife[/name]- I had to look up how to spell this name and even then I’m still confused so I would say no to hard to pronounce unless you are in [name]Ireland[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]- Beautiful name
[name]Arabella[/name]-A very cutesy name, I love it!
[name]Adeline[/name]-Okay name not crazy about it.
[name]Adelaide[/name]-I like it very cute and spunky
[name]Freya[/name]-My favorite name out of your list.
[name]Hermia[/name]-No I agree with PP it make me think of Herpes
[name]Isadora[/name]- Is Adorable jk
[name]Jocelyn[/name]-It’s a nice name
[name]Leonora[/name]- I haven’t heard of this name love the nicknames, the name itself is okay
[name]Niamh[/name]-[name]Love[/name] this name but people might not now haw to pronounce it
[name]Noelle[/name]-Like it as a middle name
[name]Rosalie[/name]-Perfect name for a little girl and and Grandma
[name]Stella[/name]- Gorgeous, I always picture a beautiful girl with this name
[name]Sienna[/name]-Not crazy bout this name but it a very nice name.
[name]Scarlett[/name]- Okay

[name]Aoife[/name]- As I understand it, this name is pretty popular in the UK so I don’t think the pronunciation issue would really exist as much there. I don’t love the sound, but it’s nice enough.
[name]Alice[/name]- I love this one! But I think it’s gaining popularity pretty quickly in the UK- though that on its own isn’t a reason not to use it.
[name]Arabella[/name]- Very pretty, and goes with the Latinate-sounding [name]Melina[/name]
[name]Adeline[/name]- Eh. Take it or leave it, no strong feelings.
[name]Adelaide[/name]- I like it enough.
[name]Freya[/name]- There’s something about the F-beginning that makes me not like it, but that’s totally personal. There’s nothing wrong with the name.
[name]Hermia[/name]- This seems too, I don’t know, god-ly to use on a child.
[name]Isadora[/name]-same as [name]Hermia[/name].
[name]Jocelyn[/name]- I don’t like it at all. It feels very trendy with the J-lyn thing.
[name]Leonora[/name]- Very pretty! I love it.
[name]Niamh[/name]- Another one I don’t really have strong feelings about.
[name]Noelle[/name]- I like it. Not love, but definitely like.
[name]Rosalie[/name]- I’d be so excited to meet a little [name]Rosalie[/name]! It’s such a cute name. I love this one too!
[name]Stella[/name]- Yet another name I love. I think we have very similar taste- I may not be of much help to you!
[name]Sienna[/name]- Spelled this way, brown. Spelled [name]Siena[/name], a place in [name]Italy[/name]. Neither to me are name-material, though it does have a very pretty sound.
[name]Scarlett[/name]- I’ve never understood [name]Scarlett[/name]. Starts with Scar and rhymes with harlot. I like [name]Charlotte[/name] more.

Thanks everyone.
We had never thought about the [name]Hermia[/name]-herpes thing. I just loved the [name]Shakespeare[/name] connection. But now, herpes is all I can think of! So no little [name]Hermia[/name] for us. I think we might be able to actually name a little girl, if we have one. :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name]!

[name]Aoife[/name] - Well, I don’t know how to say this because I’m in [name]America[/name], but it seems that won’t be a problem for you in the UK, right? I just think it looks a little harsh next to [name]Melina[/name]…

[name]Alice[/name] - I love [name]Alice[/name]! So whimsical and fun yet still sophisticated. [name]Don[/name]'t love it with [name]Melina[/name], but still like it.

[name]Arabella[/name] - Beautiful name, and it really brings out the princess side of [name]Melina[/name]'s name!

[name]Adeline[/name] - Great classic name, but I think you need something a bit more frilly to go with [name]Melina[/name]…

[name]Adelaide[/name] - Another great, comfy vintage favorite, but I think it needs a bit more sass and spice!

[name]Freya[/name] - Oh, this would be cool with [name]Melina[/name]! It feels mysterious and playful, yet very elegant. I like this a lot!

[name]Hermia[/name] - Yeah, I don’t like it, either…

[name]Isadora[/name] - Great with [name]Melina[/name], but it isn’t that far of a stretch from uber-popular [name]Isabella[/name]. Still, very pretty!

[name]Jocelyn[/name] - I think you need something with a bit more pizazz and feminine flair, honestly…

[name]Leonora[/name] - [name]Lenora[/name] would be my preferred spelling, as [name]Leonora[/name] feels a bit clunky. Actually, I like [name]Leona[/name] best!

[name]Niamh[/name] - This just seems off with [name]Melina[/name], style-wise. I think it might make a good middle name, though!

[name]Noelle[/name] - Cute and spunky with [name]Melina[/name], but maybe [name]Noella[/name] would be more unique?

[name]Rosalie[/name] - This would be very pretty with [name]Melina[/name]. It’s romantic and feminine yet still very playful…

[name]Stella[/name] - Why not use [name]Estella[/name] with [name]Stella[/name] as a nickname? [name]Estella[/name] is that much cooler to me!

[name]Sienna[/name] - This doesn’t feel so fresh to me anymore, and you’ve got much better options…

[name]Scarlett[/name] - Oh, this would be cute with [name]Melina[/name], too! I like it a lot! Sassy and playful and romantic.

SUGGESTIONS - [name]Adora[/name], [name]Carissa[/name], [name]Fiona[/name], [name]Gisela[/name], [name]Juliet[/name], [name]Kira[/name], [name]Livia[/name], [name]Roxana[/name], [name]Simona[/name]

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Melina[/name] is a feminine name so I think another frilly name would be a good pairing. From your list, [name]Freya[/name], [name]Isadora[/name] and [name]Arabella[/name] would be the best matches. I prefer [name]Estella[/name] to [name]Stella[/name]. The other names just don’t look or sound quite right with your eldest daughter’s name.

Keep in mind I am from the US so my feelings might not match the feelings in the UK.

[name]Aoife[/name]- don’t know how to pronounce this…so I can’t really comment! Is it [name]Effy[/name]? If so I like that!
[name]Alice[/name]- [name]Lovely[/name]
[name]Arabella[/name]- I’m kind of tired of the “bella” names, they same kind of tired now.
[name]Adeline[/name]- [name]FAVORITE[/name]: This is a awesome name, love the idea of Iddie as a NM
[name]Adelaide[/name]- [name]Favorite[/name]: Also like this one, I’m a musical geek so to me it’s very Guys and Dolls…which is a good thing :slight_smile:
[name]Freya[/name]- Not a fan, reminds me of [name]Frida[/name] both sound like frumpy names
[name]Hermia[/name]- I want to like it…but every time I say I think Hermit or Herpes…I think I am crazy.
[name]Isadora[/name]- OK, [name]Izzy[/name] as a NM would be cute
[name]Jocelyn[/name], OK
[name]Leonora[/name], OK
[name]Niamh[/name], again not sure how this is pronounced.
[name]Noelle[/name]- Like it
[name]Rosalie[/name]- I prefer [name]Rosie[/name], this sounds very spanish
[name]Stella[/name]- Trendy but still loving it
[name]Sienna[/name]- [name]FAVORITE[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]- [name]FAVORITE[/name]

[name]Aoife[/name]: I think [name]Aoife[/name]'s really pretty, but it’d be a nightmare of pronunciation and spelling issues if you don’t live in [name]Ireland[/name]. It also seems very mismatched with [name]Melina[/name]. Maybe as a middle?

[name]Alice[/name]: I love the name [name]Alice[/name]! This is my favorite on your list.

[name]Arabella[/name]: It’s nice, but too frilly for me (and I’m a fan of most frilly names).

[name]Adeline[/name]: I’ve never really loved this. It doesn’t have a solid pronunciation either.

[name]Adelaide[/name]: Not my favorite, but a nice name.

[name]Freya[/name]: Again, not a personal favorite, but it’s nice. Isn’t it pretty trendy in the UK?

[name]Hermia[/name]: [name]Way[/name] over the top. I like [name]Helena[/name], though.

[name]Isadora[/name]: [name]Melina[/name] and [name]Isadora[/name] go very well together.

[name]Jocelyn[/name]: It seems dated to me, and too masculine to go with [name]Melina[/name].

[name]Leonora[/name]: It’s really pretty, but too close to [name]Melina[/name]… maybe that’s just me.

[name]Niamh[/name]: I love [name]Niamh[/name], but same as [name]Aoife[/name] with the spelling/pronunciation issues.

[name]Noelle[/name]: Very pretty-- it goes wonderfully with [name]Melina[/name].

[name]Rosalie[/name]: I love this with [name]Melina[/name]! My second favorite on your list.

[name]Stella[/name]: Too trendy for me, but not an awful name.

[name]Sienna[/name]: Very trendy and a teeny bit downmarket. It’s very different from [name]Melina[/name].

[name]Scarlett[/name]: Same as [name]Sienna[/name].

My favorites are [name]Alice[/name], [name]Isadora[/name], [name]Noelle[/name], and [name]Rosalie[/name]. :slight_smile:

[name]Laylah[/name]/[name]Leilah[/name] is fairly international. It is middle eastern as well a european.