Our princess is almost here

have been lurking on this site for about 2 weeks. I am impressed with how much you all help. Are situation is a bit different but I am hoping you can be open and help us. Are daughter is 3 months old now and we hope to have her home with us in the next month. She is coming to us with name [name]Aphrodite[/name], which we don”t have to keep but do think we like to keep it some way. Our last name is 5 syllables and starts with an E and is 13 letters long. We like shortish names and think 2 middle names is nice to balance are long last name. We do have a list but thought we ask with out it to get everyone raw ideas
Thank you :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name]!

Wow. I can’t even imagine a five-syllable last name right now - they seem very uncommon here. Can you give any more hints about that? Also, would you like to keep [name]Aphrodite[/name] as one of her middle names, or would you like something else relating to love, fertility, or mythology? Are there any sibling names to consider? A final question: what does your little one look like?

So, my favorite short names are [name]Anna[/name], [name]Blair[/name], [name]Claire[/name], [name]Ellis[/name], [name]Flora[/name], [name]Grace[/name], [name]Isla[/name], [name]Jane[/name], [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Maeve[/name], [name]Nell[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name], [name]Quinn[/name], [name]Reese[/name], and [name]Sarah[/name], just to mention a few.

But, at the same time, something like [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Aphrodite[/name] [name]Rose[/name] would be very pretty!

Let me know…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Congratulations! We adopted two of our children ([name]Rosie[/name] and [name]Jasper[/name]), and I know how exciting (yet nerve-racking) the stage you are at is :slight_smile:

Of course, you could keep [name]Aphrodite[/name] as one of the middles. What, in general, are the things you look for in a name? Vintage? Feminine? Good nn options? Unusual? Is there a particular nationality, person or hobby that you would like to honour?

Another idea which I adore would be to use a name in some way linked to [name]Aphrodite[/name].

Other Greek goddess and demi-goddess names (I have filtered off the ones which I think are utterly inacccessible nowadays, and the ones who were goddesses of very unpleasant things, such as gluttony, foolish acts and violence. All Es on the end of Greek names are pronounced as in [name]Aphrodite[/name]) :
[name]Alcyone[/name]
[name]Antheia[/name] (the anglicised spelling is [name]Anthea[/name])
Aphaea
[name]Apolline[/name] (feminisation of [name]Apollo[/name]) nn [name]Polly[/name]
[name]Arethusa[/name]
[name]Artemis[/name]
[name]Athena[/name]
[name]Astraea[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name]
[name]Calypso[/name]
[name]Cleo[/name] (a less elaborate form of Cleocharia)
[name]Clio[/name]
[name]Cybele[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Demeter[/name] nn [name]Demi[/name]
[name]Echo[/name]
[name]Electra[/name]
Elpis
Euterpe
[name]Gaia[/name]
Hecate
[name]Hebe[/name]
Hemera
[name]Hera[/name]
[name]Hestia[/name] (could be changed to [name]Hester[/name], or perhaps [name]Esther[/name])
[name]Irene[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Maia[/name]
Merope
Metope
Metis
[name]Moira[/name]
[name]Nyx[/name] (pronounced nicks)
[name]Pandora[/name]
[name]Persephone[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Rhea[/name]
[name]Selene[/name]
[name]Thalia[/name] (could be a nn for [name]Nathalia[/name] or [name]Nathalie[/name])
[name]Theia[/name] (could be anglicised to [name]Thea[/name], which could also be a nn for [name]Theodora[/name] or [name]Dorothea[/name]).

[name]Venus[/name] was [name]Aphrodite[/name]'s [name]Roman[/name] equivalent. Other goddesses of love include [name]Astrid[/name] (Norse), [name]Branwen[/name] (Welsh), [name]Freya[/name] (Norse), [name]Mariana[/name] (Brazilian) and Zizilia (Polish, and could possibly be anglicised to [name]Cecilia[/name]).

The symbols of [name]Aphrodite[/name] :
[name]Columba[/name] (meaning ‘dove’)
[name]Delphia[/name] (meaning ‘dolphin’)
[name]Delphine[/name]/a (meaning ‘dolphin’)
[name]Jemima[/name] (meaning ‘dove’)
[name]Odette[/name] (for the swan connection)
[name]Paloma[/name] (meaning ‘dove’, nn [name]Lola[/name])
[name]Pearl[/name] (a connection to scallop shells)
[name]Myrtle[/name]
[name]Rose[/name] (and related names - [name]Rosette[/name]/a, [name]Rosanna[/name], [name]Rosa[/name], [name]Rosamund[/name], [name]Ambrosia[/name])
[name]Sparrow[/name].

Other love-related names :
Agape (a-guh-pay)
[name]Amanda[/name]
[name]Amy[/name]
[name]Cara[/name]
Caramia
[name]Carina[/name]
[name]Carys[/name]
[name]Milena[/name]
[name]Rose[/name] (again!)
[name]Suki[/name] (perhaps a little cutesy as a full name, but a wonderful nn for [name]Susanne[/name]/ah)
[name]Valentine[/name]/a.

Names of famous lovers (their lovers’ names are in brackets) :
[name]Chloe[/name] (and [name]Daphnis[/name])
[name]Cleopatra[/name] (or the much more accessible [name]Cleo[/name]) (and [name]Anthony[/name])
[name]Daphne[/name] (and [name]Apollo[/name])
[name]Grainne[/name] (GRAWN-ya) (and [name]Diarmuid[/name])
[name]Guinevere[/name] (and [name]Lancelot[/name])
[name]Halcyone[/name] (hal-see-own-ee) (and Ceyx)
[name]Helen[/name] (and [name]Paris[/name])
[name]Heloise[/name] (you could use simply [name]Eloise[/name], [name]Louise[/name]/a, or even just [name]Ellie[/name]) (and [name]Abelard[/name])
[name]Hero[/name] (and [name]Leander[/name])
[name]Isolde[/name] (iz-old-uh, or the variant [name]Iseult[/name]) (and [name]Tristan[/name])
[name]Josephine[/name] (and [name]Napoleon[/name])
[name]Juliet[/name] (and [name]Romeo[/name])
[name]Layla[/name] (and Majnun)
[name]Niamh[/name] (anglicised to [name]Neve[/name]) (and [name]Oisin[/name])
[name]Penelope[/name] (and [name]Odysseus[/name])
[name]Roxanne[/name] (and [name]Cyrano[/name])
[name]Thisbe[/name] (thiz-bee) (and Pyramis)
[name]Victoria[/name] (and [name]Albert[/name]).

If you would like any more information on any of the goddesses or famous lovers that I have mentioned, or clarification on pronunciation, just let me know!

Good luck!

EX/SAN/[name]DRO[/name]/[name]AL[/name]/[name]VIC[/name] it is Czech are daughter is ” Caucasian ” [name]Asian[/name] ” Native. She has a head of jet black wild hair that is poker straight; she still has blue eyes right now. She is tiny only about 1.5 kg right now that what we are waiting for her to be declared fit to come home. We like a name that easy for her to learn to say because we don”t know what issue we will have in the future. English is not my mother tongue but it is my partners. We don”t have any other children and don”t plan to one is all we ever wished for. The name her birth mother gave her in love so I think that how we like to keep it in love.

we will look over all the names and let you know if there any we adore

[name]Cara[/name] - means “dear”
[name]Carys[/name] - means “love”
[name]Rose[/name] - Roses make me think of the word “love”.

Your daughter sounds absolutely gorgeous, you must be so excited!

Some names I can randomly picture without really knowing your style (sorry for repeats)

[name]Ann/name
[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Faryn[/name]
[name]Jorja[/name]
[name]Neve[/name]
[name]Nelle[/name]
[name]Maia[/name]/[name]Maja[/name]/[name]Maya[/name]
[name]Mireille[/name]/Mirej
[name]Nascha[/name]
[name]Kate[/name]/[name]Cate[/name]
[name]Liesl[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Sophia[/name]/[name]Sophie[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Tamsyn[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]

Very nice and thoughtful suggestions, everyone, but I just want to say, Twinkle, that yours was a masterpiece. So brilliant and generous!

reading through, I also really like twinkle’s suggestion of [name]Thea[/name] - Greek for [name]Goddess[/name], so it pays homage to [name]Aphrodite[/name]

also, [name]Zoe[/name] sprung to mind, as did [name]Freya[/name], [name]Thalie[/name], and [name]Persis[/name] . . .

[name]Just[/name] spent time going over the list they are wonderful and keeping me very busy while I am stuck at home with a cold unable go visit. We are not fans of common names she is one of a kind and we like her name to be I really be upset is she is one of three other say [name]Layla[/name] at her school, so even thought I like the name it is out. I love [name]Nyx[/name]!

I like [name]Nyx[/name] :slight_smile: What about [name]Aphrodite[/name] nickname [name]Aphra[/name] then you could use family middles maybe your own, a feminine version of your partners? other special family members.

[name]Nyx[/name] sounds like nicks and I worry about the slang interpretations.

“We got her for nicks”

translation “We got her for nothing (no money)”.

“We are going to nix her from the netball team”

translation “We are going to take her off the netball team.”

“She is [name]Nick[/name]'s.”

translation “She is [name]Nick[/name]'s girlfriend/daughter/granddaughter etc.”

hmmm here are some unique names that I can think of

[name]Amadora[/name]
Arindel
[name]Calantha[/name]
[name]Ayelet[/name]
[name]Capella[/name]
Caraway
[name]Domino[/name]
Fairamay
[name]Faline[/name]
[name]Ida[/name]
[name]Idamae[/name]
[name]Idony[/name]
[name]Inanna[/name]
[name]Kiona[/name]
[name]Isolde[/name]
[name]Keiko[/name]
[name]Kerensa[/name]
[name]Nara[/name]
[name]Arianne[/name]
[name]Nova[/name]
[name]Olena[/name]
[name]Sarita[/name]
[name]Rosen[/name]
[name]Selah[/name]
[name]Seren[/name]
[name]Venice[/name]
[name]Verona[/name]
Zerene
[name]Yara[/name]
[name]Zelia[/name]
[name]Zinnia[/name]

CindyLou,

Some more suggestions for your beautiful baby girl…

Names meaning “black” include: [name]Ciara[/name], [name]Keira[/name], [name]Kira[/name] (all three are said [name]KEER[/name]-ah), [name]Melania[/name], and [name]Raven[/name].

Names meaning “gift” include: [name]Adia[/name], [name]Dora[/name], [name]Dorothea[/name], [name]Isadora[/name], [name]Mattea[/name], [name]Nita[/name], [name]Shiloh[/name], and [name]Thea[/name].

Names meaning or related to love - as [name]Aphrodite[/name] is the goddess of love - include: [name]Adabella[/name], [name]Adora[/name], [name]Cari[/name], [name]Esme[/name], [name]Freya[/name], [name]Milena[/name], [name]Pippa[/name], [name]Priya[/name], [name]Siran[/name], and [name]Venus[/name] (the [name]Roman[/name] alternative to [name]Aphrodite[/name]).

I also think that [name]Anya[/name] would be a beautiful name for her. It is Russian and means “gracious.”

So, here are names I would suggest for her!

[name]Priya[/name] [name]Melania[/name] [name]Venus[/name] - [name]LOVE[/name] this!
[name]Anya[/name] [name]Venus[/name] [name]Siran[/name]
[name]Kira[/name] [name]Shiloh[/name] [name]Aphrodite[/name]
[name]Thea[/name] [name]Raven[/name] [name]Adabella[/name]
[name]Melania[/name] [name]Venus[/name] [name]Adia[/name]

Good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Yay, Twinkle!

I loved Twinkle’s suggestion of [name]Hero[/name]. Her name is a favorite of mine out of [name]Shakespeare[/name]'s heroines. It is bold, amazing and feminine all at the same time. It also makes me think of how this little girl has already come out victorious from a rough start.

Good luck with your new daughter!

High-fivies to Twinkle! :slight_smile: So many great suggestions! About [name]Nyx[/name], I thought I’d mention that in the U.S., [name]Nix[/name] is the brand of a treatment for head lice. It may not be an issue for you, even if you’re in the U.S., but I thought I’d mention it just in case.

Congratulations on your baby girl! :slight_smile:

Take care!

Good [name]Morning[/name]
My partner agrees no to Nyk :frowning: thicg lice thing was the first thing that was thought of.
Thank you all for your wonderful names I am still looking up means.
the Grandmother / family names have been asked about they are Frantiska,[name]Katarina[/name],[name]Dorota[/name],[name]Nova[/name],[name]Elizabeth[/name](which we hate with our last name) and [name]Jennifer[/name].
We know our last name is a mouthful for here in the States which makes this a bit harder.
Twinkle we adore the myth list . [name]Lemon[/name] we like the names that mean black it the first thing we got to see of her was her black main of hair
We are and were before thinking
[name]Gwen[/name]( but worried about the singer)
[name]Brie[/name]( is cheese ok to name baby)
[name]Polly[/name]( will people think she bird)
Thank you all again
Still stuck at home sick so will be spending my day looking

My name is [name]Bree[/name]! I don’t like the [name]Brie[/name] spelling because of the cheese but I love my name and always have. No one has ever said “Oh! like the cheese?”

What about…
[name]Verity[/name]
[name]Cecile[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Rosie[/name]
[name]Mila[/name]
[name]Adele[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Nell[/name]
[name]Honey[/name]
[name]Roxy[/name]
[name]Kit[/name]
[name]Bellamy[/name]
[name]Perla[/name]
[name]Rita[/name]
[name]Della[/name]
[name]Goldie[/name]
[name]Calla[/name]

HTH!

Thank you so much, [name]Pam[/name]! I adore Greek mythology, so I jump at any chance to put my passion to good use :slight_smile:

Cindylou,

For your little girl, I can especially see these names from my suggestions :

[name]Artemis[/name] - the goddess of the hunt, forests, hills and childbirth, among other things.

[name]Cleo[/name]/[name]Clio[/name] - Cleocharia was a river nymph (nymphs are spirits, somewhat a mixture of a fairy and a goddess). [name]Clio[/name] was a muse (a goddess who inspired mortal men in their writings, etc.); she was the muse of history, and so is said to inspire anyone who writes or teaches about history. [name]Cleopatra[/name] was the last [name]Pharaoh[/name] of [name]Egypt[/name] who ruled for any significant amount of time, and was a strong and ambitious woman, although she met a tragic end.

[name]Cybele[/name] - ([name]SIB[/name]-eh-lee) she was a sort of Greek version of Mother Nature.

[name]Daphne[/name] - [name]Daphne[/name] was a beautiful nymph. The god [name]Apollo[/name] supposedly fell in love with her and, in order to escape him, she prayed to [name]Gaia[/name] and was transformed into a laurel tree.

[name]Echo[/name] - the story of [name]Echo[/name] is tragic, perhaps too tragic for it to be used as a name. She was a talkative mountain nymph, and [name]Hera[/name], [name]Zeus[/name]”s wife, punished her so that she was only able to repeat the words of others. Later, she fell in love with the vain [name]Narcissus[/name], and he rebuked her; she pined away until all that was left of her was her voice.

[name]Iris[/name] - she was the messenger of the gods and the personification of the rainbow, and was said to travel as fast as the wind. This is also a flower name; I really love this one!

[name]Maia[/name] - (MEYE-uh) she was the eldest of her sisters, the Pleiades, and also the most beautiful and the shyest. Her and her sisters are the namesakes of the cluster of stars called the Pleiades.

[name]Phoebe[/name] - [name]Phoebe[/name] was a Titan (one of the first gods and goddesses). She was associated with the moon.

[name]Selene[/name] - (se-[name]LEE[/name]-nee) she was the goddess of the moon. Her name probably means ”brightness”.

[name]Thea[/name] - [name]Theia[/name] was one of the very first goddesses, and the daughter of the creator goddess Eurynome. She was the mother of the sun, the moon and the dawn.

[name]Nyx[/name] - although, I would be worried about the head lice lotion connotation. [name]Nyx[/name] is one of my favourite Greek goddesses - she just seems so mysterious! She was a primordial goddess, meaning that, according to Greek mythology, she was present at the creation of the world. [name]Nyx[/name] was the goddess of the night, and extremely powerful and beautiful; even [name]Zeus[/name], the father of the Gods, was said to be scared of angering her. In some ancient poems, attributed to the poet [name]Orpheus[/name], the entire universe is said to move to the rhythm of [name]Nyx[/name]”s chanting. She had many children, including the god of air and the goddess of day, and the personifications of dreams, friendship, sleep and the powerful Fates.

[name]Freya[/name] - (FRAY-uh) Freyja was a Norse goddess, associated with love, beauty and gold, among other things. She wore a cloak made of falcon feathers, and drove a chariot pulled by two cats!

[name]Delphine[/name] - meaning ”dolphin”.

[name]Odette[/name] - (oh-DETT) the main character of Tchaikovsky”s ballet, Swan [name]Lake[/name]; she was a princess who was turned into a swan by an evil sorcerer.

[name]Pearl[/name]

[name]Rose[/name]

[name]Cara[/name] - meaning ”beloved”.

[name]Suki[/name] - (SOO-kee) part of the Japanese verb meaning ”like” and used in the phrase ‘anata ga suki’ to mean ”love”.

[name]Helen[/name] - [name]Helen[/name] was a daughter of [name]Zeus[/name], and was married to the Spartan [name]King[/name] Menelaus when she was abducted by [name]Paris[/name], a Trojan prince. This sparked the Trojan war. She was supposedly the most beautiful woman on earth.

[name]Hero[/name] - she appears in [name]Shakespeare[/name]”s Much [name]Ado[/name] About Nothing, but the story of [name]Hero[/name] and [name]Leander[/name] is actually a Greek myth; she was a priestess of [name]Aphrodite[/name] (what a neat connection!) who fell in love with [name]Leander[/name], a man who lived on the other side of the river. [name]Every[/name] night she would light a lamp in her room, and it would guide his way as he swam across to be with her. One night, there was a storm, and the light from the lamp was blown out - [name]Leander[/name] lost his way in the stormy river and drowned. As usual, the ending is thoroughly tragic - [name]Hero[/name] committed suicide.

[name]Isolde[/name] (i-ZOL-da)

[name]Neve[/name] - the daughter of the sea god in Irish mythology.

Of other suggestions, I can see these on a little girl of your description :
[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Anya[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Kit[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Nola[/name]
[name]Perla[/name]
[name]Selah[/name]
[name]Tess/name
[name]Verity[/name]
[name]Willa[/name].

Another which sprung to mind was [name]Imelda[/name], but I think the [name]Imelda[/name] [name]Marcos[/name] connection may be too strong ”

For her blue eyes, you might like [name]Ondine[/name]/[name]Undine[/name], meaning ”little wave”.

Of your family names, of course all would work for middles when the first name has been chosen, but I also think that [name]Dorota[/name] (or [name]Dorothy[/name]/[name]Dorothea[/name]) nn [name]Dora[/name] or [name]Dotty[/name], and [name]Nova[/name] would make brilliant first names!

[name]Gwen[/name] - I like this, and do not think of the singer.

[name]Brie[/name] - I do think of the cheese! Also, names like [name]Brianna[/name] (bree-anna) are very popular, and a little trendy, at the moment.

[name]Polly[/name] - I love [name]Polly[/name]! It is sweet and accessible, but not too common. It could also be short for [name]Apolline[/name], if you wanted a longer full name. This is my favourite of the three.

Good luck!

[name]Hi[/name]! I’m sorry you’re not feeling well, and I hope you feel better soon. :slight_smile:

I just want to say that I saw [name]Polly[/name] on your list, and I absolutely love it! I would love to meet a little [name]Polly[/name]. :slight_smile:

Some names that remind me of [name]Polly[/name] that you may like:

[name]Belle[/name]
[name]Clover[/name]
[name]Daisy[/name]
[name]Eve[/name]/[name]Evie[/name]
[name]Goldie[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]June[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Maisie[/name]
[name]Maude[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Mae[/name]
[name]Nell[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]

This may have been suggested already, but I think that [name]Wren[/name] would be really pretty with your last name.

I hope you feel better! :slight_smile:

Take care!