See the results of this poll: Our Shortlist Needs Narrowing

Respondents: 66 (This poll is closed)

• Anne Beatrix :: Annie : 30 (45%)
  • Josephine Helen :: Sephie : 11 (17%)
  • Kathleen Eleanor :: Kitty : 9 (14%)
  • Helen Josephine : 8 (12%)
  • Lauren Kathleen : 3 (5%)
  • Mary Margaret: 5 (8%)

I think [name_f]Anne[/name_f] and [name_f]Helen[/name_f] are lovely. [name_f]Annie[/name_f] for [name_f]Anne[/name_f] and maybe [name_f]Nell[/name_f] or [name_f]Lena[/name_f] for [name_f]Helen[/name_f].

[name_f]Lauren[/name_f] is a lovely name. In my opinion, it’s a little underused. [name_f]Lauren[/name_f] [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] definitely wins my vote.

[name_f]Helen[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] is beautiful and would be my first choice. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] would be my second choice with [name_m]Henry[/name_m] & [name_f]Jane[/name_f].

Thank you @madrigal and @~teenberry~

~teenberry~ I completely agree with you about [name_f]Lauren[/name_f]. it’s quite common in my generation but I’m sure it’s losing favor now; it’s in the same camp for me as [name_f]Caroline[/name_f].

I forgot to say that I think [name_f]Mary[/name_f] is really cute and sweet and would be perfect for [name_m]Henry[/name_m] and [name_f]Jane[/name_f]'s sister - coming to think of it, maybe more than [name_f]Anne[/name_f] or [name_f]Helen[/name_f] which I wrote about before. There’s something about [name_f]Mary[/name_f]…

Thank you, MauraB :slight_smile:

[name_f]Helen[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] is the name of my grandmother, so absolutely holds special meaning.

Laughing :slight_smile: there IS something about [name_f]Mary[/name_f]

Oh my Gosh! I didn’t even realize I was referencing the movie until now - now I’m laughing too and embarrassed! lol.

I thought it was funny :slight_smile:

I think [name_f]Anne[/name_f]/[name_f]Annie[/name_f] fits well the [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and [name_m]Henry[/name_m]. :slight_smile:

I really love [name_f]Anne[/name_f] and [name_f]Mary[/name_f] with [name_m]Henry[/name_m] & [name_f]Jane[/name_f]; [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] is lovely, too.
[name_f]Helen[/name_f] gives the set a more 1940s vibe (though [name_f]Helen[/name_f] has been popular before, it still strikes me as both a grandmother’s and great-grandmother’s generation name), [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] makes me think of the 50s (a period whose style I quite love but name-wise I tend to stay away from it), [name_f]Lauren[/name_f] makes me think of the 1980s and feels a bit mismatched (not a bad thing but either way it’s not a favourite).

I love [name_f]Anne[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]! [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and [name_f]Anne[/name_f] are perfect siblings. [name_m]Just[/name_m] like [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]:slight_smile: Great choice for a boy, by the way.

I prefer [name_u]Josie[/name_u] over Sephie as a nickname for [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]. Sephie is unheard off and will very likely be often mistaken for [name_f]Sophie[/name_f].

Thank you for your post, Bellaczh.

I’m not a fan of [name_u]Josie[/name_u] but I think Sephie would be so adorable and unexpected, and it sounds distinct enough to us from [name_f]Sophie[/name_f].

Here is a great post from Appellation Mountain about [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] and her various nicknames…

Well, [name_f]Anne[/name_f] certainly matches with the kind of names you’ve already given your other two children.

I voted [name_f]Anne[/name_f], but I think [name_f]Lauren[/name_f] could also work. I actually like [name_f]Lauren[/name_f].

Now that I think about it, even though [name_f]Anne[/name_f] appears to have that same simple vibe of the other names, it’s a bit too close to [name_f]Jane[/name_f]. They share a lot of the same letters.

I think I kind of change my vote to [name_f]Lauren[/name_f], sorry about that!

Congratulations! :slight_smile: [name_m]How[/name_m] exciting for you! [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] ‘[name_m]Archie[/name_m]’*[name_m]John[/name_m] is spot on gorgeous with [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and [name_m]Henry[/name_m]! You have a lovely collection of Girl’s Names! Here are my thoughts:

[name_f]Josephine[/name_f][name_f]Helen[/name_f]:: Sephie - I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] and have always planned to use Sephie if we ever have a [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], but have never seen it used, or even mentioned, by anyone else before, so I am very excited by this option! My only slight hesitation is that the Girls would share the same initial, but then [name_f]Helen[/name_f] and [name_m]Henry[/name_m] both start with H so it ties both Older Siblings to their new [name_m]Little[/name_m] [name_f]Sister[/name_f] quite nicely!

[name_f]Lauren[/name_f][name_f]Kathleen[/name_f]- To me [name_f]Lauren[/name_f], although lovely, doesn’t sound “Classic British Traditional” enough to be in a Sibset with [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and [name_m]Henry[/name_m], sorry!

[name_f]Anne[/name_f][name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]::*[name_f]Annie[/name_f] - ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!! Got my vote! :smiley:

[name_f]Mary[/name_f][name_f]Margaret[/name_f](double-barrel name) - Absolutely ADORABLE and would work wonderfully well! Comes in a close second behind [name_f]Anne[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]!

[name_f]Helen[/name_f]*[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] - Personally I find that [name_m]Henry[/name_m] and [name_f]Helen[/name_f] sound much too similar to be together, unless, possibly, if they were Twins.

[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f][name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]::*[name_f]Kitty[/name_f] - Really lovely, just not as perfect a fit as [name_f]Anne[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] or [name_f]Josephine[/name_f].

The Three Combinations I would keep are:

[name_f]Anne[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Helen[/name_f]

I feel like the odd one out, but I voted for [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] is so underused but also feels so classic and beautiful. I also get the impression that you’re drawn to names with nicknames, and [name_f]Kitty[/name_f] is simultaneously unexpected and [name_u]Austen[/name_u]-esque. I really love it! [name_f]Anne[/name_f] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] and [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] probably would’ve been my second choices. I love [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Helen[/name_f] but Sephie isn’t really my style. [name_f]Helen[/name_f] is gorgeous but I find it a bit close to [name_m]Henry[/name_m] personally; ditto [name_f]Anne[/name_f] with [name_f]Jane[/name_f], although [name_f]Annie[/name_f] is more distinct. I knew way too many [name_m]Laurens[/name_m] in college 10 years ago, so I prefer the freshness of all the other choices.

My two favourites are [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] and [name_f]Lauren[/name_f] [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f]. All three names are fabulous and underused. The only thing that I would change is the nickname for [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] as I prefer [name_f]Katie[/name_f] :slight_smile:

Thank you for all of your insights!!

Taking it all in, it seems [name_f]Anne[/name_f] is the most natural fit, but maybe too matchy?

[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] is a contender

[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f] may feel too mid-century with our other children, but I do feel [name_f]Kitty[/name_f] brings her back into a similar style of [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and [name_m]Henry[/name_m]

[name_f]Helen[/name_f] may be too close to [name_m]Henry[/name_m], which I never considered but agree with

[name_f]Lauren[/name_f] is the out-of-left-field pick, I’ve always found it classic but maybe way too much of an 80s name still

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], at this point, is my favorite; it has a unique first initial among our sibset, goes perfectly with [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and [name_m]Henry[/name_m] (and [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]), and it means bitterly wished for child (we’ve had a few losses before conceiving this child, and named our first loss [name_f]Mary[/name_f]; making this one double-barrel [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] feels like a fitting tribute and meaning)

I can’t thank you enough for helping us sort through these options!