Our sons name

[name]Hi[/name], we would like to give our son the French name Noän [name]Julien[/name], but is this a strange name in the US??? Do[name]How[/name] would you pronounce the name??

No-anne is how I would say it…but that’s just at first glance and seeing as there arent too many names with an umlaut above them here in the US I would say teachers are going to be asking how he says he name till he graduates…but it looks super cool

[name]Hi[/name] Julin,

Noän would definitely be considered an unusual name in the US. People aren’t used to seeing accents over letters, and would probably pronounced it close to “no one.” Out of curiosity, what is the correct pronunciation? :slight_smile:

[name]Noah[/name] (pronounced NO-ah) is an alternative that would be recognizable in the US.

[name]Julien[/name] isn’t strange, although the common US spelling is [name]Julian[/name].

À mon avis, le prénom Noän est vraiment cool! :slight_smile: (Please correct me on my French if it’s wrong.)

I would pronounce Noän as ‘no-AN’. I’m sure [name]Julien[/name] would be recognised in the US, they would probably pronounce it JOO-lee-un, like [name]Julian[/name]. I like the previous poster’s suggestion of [name]Noah[/name].

[name]Mercie[/name], vous l’avez dit très bien!

So the pronunciation would be strange, also without the umlaut? Noan? Funny how a name can be normal in one country and not in another. But the pronunciation is something like Nohw-un…does this make sense? It sounds a bit like [name]Nolan[/name]. Does that sound to much like No one?

We like [name]Noah[/name] too!

I’ve never heard the name Noän before, but I really like it! It would definitely be considered unusual in the U.S. - [name]Noah[/name] or Noël are more familiar. [name]Julien[/name] is easy enough for most Americans, though!

Ooh, I like Noän! I think some people won’t know what the umlaut means and so I think a lot of people will pronounce it like the English word “known”, rhyming with “[name]Joan[/name]”. Unfortunately he might get that pronunciation a lot. But I still think you should use it because it’s just so cool!

I think that is a wonderful name! It’s unique, but not TOO unique that it would be a teasing factor!

• [name]Evelyn[/name]

I really like it. If I was seeing it for the first time, I would pronounce it no-AHN. If it is pronounced like [name]Nolan[/name] without the L, it would sound a bit like no one, but I don’t think that would really be a problem. Almost all names at least rhyme with another word. [name]Julien[/name] i would pronounce like JOO-lee-en. [name]Don[/name]'t know if that’s right, but my excuse is that I’m from [name]Texas[/name] :wink: We don’t say anything right.

J’adore l’idée de Noän [name]Julien[/name]! (Sorry, my French is really rusty–haven’t practiced it since high school! haha. I hope it made sense…)

But… I’m not too sure about in reality. I absolutely love [name]Noah[/name] alternatives (the Hebrew [name]Noam[/name] is a huge GP of mine!), but I agree that Noän sounds like “no one” to me (although I’ve been told that [name]Noam[/name] sounds like a garden “gnome” to some, too…). Would you visit the US often? If so, maybe he could just go by [name]Noah[/name]? If it’s commonly acceptable and highly usable in [name]France[/name], why not? It’s a really cool name and Noän [name]Julien[/name] sounds really cool together.

Hmm, Noän is unusual in [name]France[/name] too, is it not? I have never heard of this name before and it does not look French to me, it looks more Dutch. I am fluent in French and lived there, so my impression may not be the best when it comes to how an American would view this name. The U.S. is a pretty diverse country and we are used to seeing very unique names from across the Globe, and names that Americans themselves just make up. I would pronounce this name as (noh-[name]ANN[/name]).

It’s certainly unusual here but I think that people can easily pick up the pronunciation. I think it’s similar enough to other names out there. My name is Dorothée, and I grew up here in the states. That’s even trickier since without the accent people just assume it’s [name]Dorothy[/name]. I think your choice is handsome - and while it’s unusual, I don’t think it’s awkward to say. You would probably have to correct people since they won’t know it automatically, but I really think it’s easy enough for people to pick up. I would say that you should be OK with the idea that nobody here would spell it with an accent (most forms, etc. won’t allow you to put one in anyway). Anyway, I think it’s very handsome.

Anything French will be butchered by Americans in general, me in particular.

Noan is unusual here but I think its also unusual in [name]France[/name], I always see it spelled Noan on french name sites and I think that spelling would be easier for Americans if you are open to using it.

[name]How[/name] would I pronounce it? I am bad at describing pronunciations but I guess I would say it almost like Noé or [name]Noah[/name] but ending with âne (sorry :frowning: thats the best way I can describe it), put together it isnt noticeable! Its a nice name that should work just fine here.

I don’t think it’s Dutch.

What a fabulous name! I would prn it No uhn. Is this correct? [name]Love[/name] it though. Once you tell people the prn I am sure it will not be a huge issue.

I like the nickname Noé also! [name]Don[/name]'t you think it is to feminine or ok for a boy? I know it is a Portugese name.

Noan is not a Dutch name, it is a French name of [name]Breton[/name] origin. The correct spelling is indeed Noan but we like Noän more. The name is definitely not unusual over here. For a girl we like Maëlys/Maëlie or Amélie.

Thanks for all the comments! REally appreciate it!