Out of the blue...

So my husband and I had decided on [name]Finley[/name] [name]Willow[/name] if our baby was a girl, but have been struggling with a name if the baby is a boy. Today he decided that he also likes the nn [name]Finn[/name] for a boy. I hadn’t even consittered this as a name for a boy. It’s not that I don’t like the name, I just always thought of it as a girls name. What do you think? Is [name]Finn[/name] a good name for a boy? What are some ideas for full names for a boy with the nn of [name]Finn[/name]?

Personally, I love the name [name]Finn[/name]. I think it’s a wonderful name for a boy.

Full name possibilities:
[name]Finn[/name] (I think it works well on its own, too)
[name]Finley[/name]/[name]Findley[/name] (although you do also like it for a girl)
[name]Finnegan[/name]
[name]Finnian[/name]

Good luck!

I love [name]Finn[/name] for a boy! I actually like [name]Finley[/name] more for a boy than a girl, much more in fact. My cousin recently named her son [name]Finn[/name], just [name]Finn[/name]. Some longer versions (and I apologize for repeats)
[name]Finnian[/name]
[name]Finlay[/name]/Finely (obviously :slight_smile:
[name]Finnigan[/name]

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I would stay away from [name]Finley[/name], since it does sound more feminine to me. I like the suggestion of [name]Finnian[/name] though. [name]Do[/name] you think Finland is too feminine?

[name]Fintan[/name] is kind of groovy

My son’s name is [name]Finley[/name] nn [name]Finn[/name], so naturally I love it! I personally think that [name]Finley[/name] is a strong, masculine name, and find it a little odd on girls, as it means “Fair Warrior”, and there is a Celtic story about a warrior, [name]Finn[/name] McCool, who is very similar to the English [name]King[/name] [name]Arthur[/name].

If you are looking for other names for a boy to shorten to [name]Finn[/name], here’s a few suggestions:

[name]Finnegan[/name]
[name]Griffin[/name]
[name]Phinneas[/name]/Finneas

Fintenn
Finneach

I love [name]Finn[/name] for a boy. [name]Finn[/name] on its own is great but if you want a longer name go for [name]Phinneas[/name].

I like the suggestion of [name]Finnian[/name] the best. I don’t really care for Finland and wouldn’t know whether it was a boy or girl.

I would only ever think of [name]Finley[/name] as a boys name. Here in the UK I have come across lots of little boys named [name]Finley[/name] but I have never even heard of it used as a girls name! I also love [name]Finn[/name] for a boy- a good solid Scandinavian name. Or [name]Finton[/name] and Finneus are also great.

[name]Finley[/name] for a boy is growing on me. I am starting to think that this baby will be [name]Finley[/name] whether it is a boy or a girl. I also really like [name]Finnian[/name] if it’s a boy, but everytime I say the name to someone they ask me to repeat it, like they aren’t understanding what I am saying. If I use [name]Finley[/name] for a boy, do you think it looks more like a boy’s name if it is spelled with a Ph, like Phinley?

Phinley does not look more masculine. It looks kind of silly imo. I’ve seen [name]Findlay[/name] though. [name]Finley[/name] doesn’t really look feminine to me though so I don’t know if you need to worry about it.

No, Phinley does not look more like a boys name! It just looks like you didn’t spell it right. If I saw the name [name]Finley[/name] on paper I would assume it was a boy, but not be surprised if it were a girl. [name]Finn[/name] on it’s own is a great name for a boy, it totally stands alone! I adore the name [name]Finn[/name].

I agree! If you’d like to use “Ph” I suggest [name]Phineas[/name].

I agree! If you’d like to use “Ph” I suggest [name]Phineas[/name].[/quote]

Ditto

Well, it’s been confirmed. We are having a boy. We are really looking forward to having 2 little boys, however, I am having a hard time accepting that we won’t have a girl (we only want 2 kids), and mainly it is because I love the name [name]Finley[/name] [name]Willow[/name] so much. Maybe this is a sign that we should just name this boy [name]Finley[/name] [name]William[/name]. Thanks for all the advise, after reading all the posts I am much more comfortable with this name for a boy. Maybe I will get my little “[name]Finn[/name]” Afterall!!

[name]Finn[/name] is an excellent name for a boy , maybe the double n gives it the masculine feel.