Overthinking Alder

In a recent exploration into unisex or traditionally masculine nature names for girls, I abruptly fell head over heels for the name [name_m]Alder[/name_m]. It has so many qualities I love - it’s both a word name and a nature name; it’s incredibly witchy, with all sorts of fascinating magickal lore and medicinal properties; it’s associated with a powerful and compelling fictional character; and it could work equally well regardless of gender identity.

The struggle I’m having is finding a combo that feels harmonious with the other names in my top 10 (which is still under construction and currently a top 6). The other combos that are set include [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]Forest[/name_u], [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Taliesin[/name_u], and [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m] for boys; [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] [name_u]Willow[/name_u], [name_f]Lily[/name_f] Sylvestra, and [name_f]Nimue[/name_f] [name_u]Cypress[/name_u] for girls. I have a mild form of synesthesia that makes it difficult to articulate why I’m drawn to some names and repelled by others (and definitely contributes to the overthinking!). But to me, these names all share a common feeling, imagery, and sense of place - some sort of mystical, druidic forest out of ancient [name_m]Wales[/name_m] or Arthurian legend.

After lots of input and contemplation, I’ve narrowed my [name_m]Alder[/name_m] combos down to the three strongest contenders. At this point, I can tell I’m overthinking it, so I’ve decided to just brain dump the pros and cons for each of these names and get some help sorting through the mess.

My top three contenders are:

• Alder [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] - I love that both of these names reference powerful, complex, layered, ferocious, charismatic women in modern sci-fi and fantasy ([name_f]Sarah[/name_f] [name_m]Alder[/name_m] from Motherland: [name_m]Fort[/name_m] [name_u]Salem[/name_u] and [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] [name_u]Blake[/name_u] from The 100). What I’m struggling with is that this combo is not as harmonious with the rest of my sibset. The other combos all share a lush green feeling, like wild mossy trees in a shadowy forest. [name_m]Alder[/name_m] [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] feels sharper, edgier, more rock and steel and battle cry, less fey woodland. I love both of these names, and they look and sound fantastic together! But when I hold this combo up next to the others, it definitely feels like the odd one out.

• Alder [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] - [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] has been on my list for ages. I know I want her in the top 10, but I have never found a combo that I can stick with. [name_m]Alder[/name_m] is a much more recent addition to my list, but I have definitely had similar difficulties finding a combo that feels right. I was hoping [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f]’s witchy Welsh look and sound would provide that missing wildwood element from the [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] combo. But ultimately, I feel like the two names almost clash with each other, as [name_m]Alder[/name_m] has a starker, more “masculine” energy, while [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] is more dreamy and opaque, darkly feminine and romantic. I feel almost like I’m trying to force together puzzle pieces that don’t actually fit.

• Alder [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] - [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] just might be the happy medium I’m looking for, embodying both warrior strength and mystic enchantment. The meaning, “divine queen,” is powerful and regal enough to stand up next to [name_m]Alder[/name_m]’s sharper edges. And the look, sound, and feel of [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] brings a soft, mystical feeling to the combo that makes [name_m]Alder[/name_m] stand out as a nature name in a way that - for whatever reason - I don’t get when paired with [name_f]Octavia[/name_f]. The major hesitation here is that [name_m]Alder[/name_m] and [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] are both very recent additions to my list. I had always thought [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] was pronounced “REE-ah-nahn,” and that wasn’t appealing to me. For some reason, hearing it pronounced “ree-ANN-nen” radically changed my feelings about the name, and revisiting the [name_m]Fleetwood[/name_m] [name_m]Mac[/name_m] song shaded in so much wild and mysterious fey energy. But I’ve read and said “[name_m]Alder[/name_m] [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f]” to myself so many times now that the letters and sounds are becoming a little disconnected from the meaning, and I’m questioning whether [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] is just a passing name crush or if she actually is the right match for [name_m]Alder[/name_m].

All this to say, I just really need some fresh eyes on these combos, because I’m thinking myself around in circles and need some outside perspective. If you’re still reading, you’re fantastic, and deserve all the kudos for letting me ramble all over the place!

I think all of your names are beautiful! I like [name_m]Alder[/name_m] [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] and [name_m]Alder[/name_m] [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] more than [name_m]Alder[/name_m] [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] because the r at the end and the begging kind of clash for me (aldeR [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f]) but honestly that might just be my accent. I have an urge to add a short 3rd name in the middle there ([name_m]Alder[/name_m] [name_f]Fae[/name_f] [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f]? Maybe [name_f]Fae[/name_f] is a little on the nose for your theme though…)

Alder [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] would sway me because of the science fiction connections (I’m a fan of [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] [name_m]Butler[/name_m] so super biased). I do agree that it’s a little bit different from the rest of the names on your list, but it doesn’t seem like an odd one out to me and sounds very fresh. If you love this combo, I wouldn’t let that hold you back.

With [name_m]Alder[/name_m] [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] I actually really like that they are very different - to me blunter/sharper names sound really nice with longer, softer names. However, if that sounds really mismatched to you it probably isn’t the one!

1 Like

My favourite is [name_m]Alder[/name_m] [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f], I think the contrasting names actually help to tie it all together and create one whole name that isn’t too much of anything. Especially because [name_m]Alder[/name_m] is a typically masculine name, the presence of [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] gently pulls it across to the feminine in a way that I think the others don’t.

1 Like

Alder [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] is delightful! It’s strong and powerful but with a a hint of femininity, a hint of mystery and a hint of lightness. It’s earthy and forresty and just all round lovely

2 Likes

Firstly, [name_m]Alder[/name_m] is so amazing and I absolutely love it for a girl. Having a name that can fit any gender is always wonderful!
I also have synesthesia so I completely understand what you mean when you say certain names don’t feel right and don’t provoke the right imagery. I believe [name_m]Alder[/name_m] [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] sounds the best but I also see [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] as a sharper name, something that a queen who leads her troops into battle would wear. Definitely off of the theme of the other names.
I’m not a fan of [name_m]Alder[/name_m] [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] but I agree that it brings in both strong and mystical elements!
[name_m]Alder[/name_m] [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] has a very strong mystical, kind of magicky feel to it. Since [name_m]Alder[/name_m] is a traditionally masculine name, having a slightly softer, feminine name is amazing!

1 Like

My favourite is [name_m]Alder[/name_m] [name_f]Octavia[/name_f], which feels lovely and princessy to me (though I may be biased as it’s my middle name!), and then it’s probably [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f]. I must say I also love your other 6!
However I was wondering if you like greek names? I was thinking:

Naias
[name_u]Artemis[/name_u]
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f]
[name_f]Gaia[/name_f]
[name_f]Chrysanthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Demetra[/name_f]
[name_f]Hebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Hermione[/name_f]/Hermia
[name_f]Ianthe[/name_f]

I don’t know if that fits your style, but these immediately came to mind! Sorry if I’ve made it a lot more complicated!

I like [name_m]Alder[/name_m] [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] the best! The two definitely don’t clash at all!

I love [name_m]Alder[/name_m] [name_f]Octavia[/name_f]. I think it sounds perfect, and I love the [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] [name_m]Alder[/name_m]/Octavia [name_u]Blake[/name_u] connections. I understand what you’re saying about it sounding slightly sharper and edgier. I do, however, feel like it fits in really well with the rest of your sibset. In my eyes, all of your names give off mystical, fantasy like, dreamy vibes, and [name_m]Alder[/name_m] [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] is no exception. I also feel like, while your sibset does give off woodland elf vibes, it also does feel very strong and battle ready. I think aside from [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] [name_u]Willow[/name_u], all of your firsts give off the original imagery you said, and all of your middles give off the sharper imagery (I think [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] [name_u]Willow[/name_u] is the reverse, imo!) Because of that, [name_m]Alder[/name_m] [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] fits in perfectly and goes so nicely with your other names.
However, if you don’t feel like it fits, that matters more. I just wanted to give you my views on the name!

Alder [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] is also perfect, and would be my second choice. I think its dreamy and ethereal, and I like that [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] adds a more romantic vibe to [name_m]Alder[/name_m]. I absolutely feel like they fit together, really really well actually!

I’m personally not a fan of [name_m]Alder[/name_m] [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f]. I love the way [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f] feels for you, but it just doesn’t give off those vibes for me. It may be because I grew up with a few Rhiannons, so the name is less mystical and enchanting, and more modern feeling than the rest of your names. I also think the r’s run into eachother a bit, but that just might be another me thing. It seems like you really love [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f], so that matters way more than my opinion on it!

1 Like

Thank you all so much for the feedback. I wish I could say that it perfectly clarified things for me, but I might be even more confused now!

You all make some great points. I agree that [name_m]Alder[/name_m] needs a really feminine name to balance out the combo, especially when put in the context of the rest of the names on my list. She is definitely more forceful and intense than the rest of my girls. Out of the three combos discussed, [name_m]Alder[/name_m] [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] looks, feels, and sounds the most feminine, but something is still holding me back from pairing these two names together.

So I saved this draft and had a think before coming back to it with fresh eyes.

I think [name_m]Alder[/name_m] [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] is out of the running. As gorgeous as this combo is, it’s the odd one out in the sibset.

I did find some clarity on why [name_m]Alder[/name_m] [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] doesn’t work for me, even though I feel like it should. I think the dissonance is synesthesia related - to use a tarot metaphor, [name_m]Alder[/name_m] feels like a Wands name to me and [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] feels like a Cups name. I think I’m holding out for a [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] combo that taps into all those fluid, shadowy, water witch vibes, and [name_m]Alder[/name_m] has too much fire energy for the two to be compatible in my - admittedly super abstract and nitpicky - mind. So I think I’ll take [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] back to the drawing board to see if I can find a combo that feels right for her.

As for [name_m]Alder[/name_m] [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f], that one’s going up on the shelf where I can ruminate and see how I feel about the combo after some time has passed. In the meantime, I think I’m going to try out some combos with [name_m]Alder[/name_m] in the middle name slot and see if that takes care of some of my concerns about her blending harmoniously with the rest of the 6, especially the girls’ names.

Thank you all again for the patient, thoughtful, and thorough replies. Your feedback was super helpful!

1 Like

I love [name_m]Alder[/name_m] [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f]! I really like [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f], but I don’t like how it sounds with [name_m]Alder[/name_m], it’s too heavy on the R.

I just read your most recent post and what you say about the imagery/feel of it is interesting, I’m not getting that at all and I think they work well together but ofc it’s your opinion that matters most!