Overused Names

Happy [name_f]Monday[/name_f], Berries!

Just because I’m really curious, tell me what boys and girls names you think need a break. I know there are plenty of popular classics that just feel bland and boring now because there’s one of each everywhere you go!

Examples:
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]/Ben
[name_f]Sarah[/name_f]
[name_m]Samuel[/name_m]/Sam
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]

And there are also the modern staples that just feel painfully overdone. Such as [name_u]Madison[/name_u], [name_u]Tyler[/name_u], [name_u]Madison[/name_u], [name_u]Jackson[/name_u], [name_f]Bella[/name_f], [name_u]Madison[/name_u], etc.

What popular names are you tired of hearing?

4 Likes

Sophie/Sophia & [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]/Isabelle are very common where I live in the US.

I am also overwhelmed with the [name_u]Aiden[/name_u] family of names. [name_u]Aiden[/name_u], [name_u]Brayden[/name_u], [name_m]Drayden[/name_m], [name_u]Jayden[/name_u], [name_u]Hayden[/name_u], [name_m]Kaden[/name_m], [name_m]Zayden[/name_m]… all of them. There are just so many!

5 Likes

Where I live, I hear a lot of [name_u]Harley[/name_u]/Harlyn, [name_u]Hadley[/name_u], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], [name_u]River[/name_u], [name_u]Avery[/name_u] and [name_m]Harrison[/name_m]!

1 Like

There are a whole lot of Avas and Elijahs where I am. :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

[name_f]Happy[/name_f] [name_f]Monday[/name_f], @elanorelle!
Where I live, [name_u]Maria[/name_u] needs a big break :sweat_smile:! There are too many names to mention, but I get really bored when I hear [name_f]Ana[/name_f], [name_f]Beatriz[/name_f], Inês, [name_f]Matilde[/name_f], [name_f]Mariana[/name_f], [name_f]Sofia[/name_f], [name_f]Rita[/name_f], João, [name_m]Pedro[/name_m], [name_m]Miguel[/name_m], [name_m]Manuel[/name_m], [name_m]Rodrigo[/name_m], [name_m]Martim[/name_m], José,…
In [name_f]English[/name_f]-speaking countries, I think [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_u]Michael[/name_u], [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_m]William[/name_m], [name_m]Robert[/name_m], [name_f]Mia[/name_f], [name_m]John[/name_m], [name_u]Noah[/name_u], [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] and [name_f]Anna[/name_f]/e, [name_m]Charles[/name_m], [name_m]Joseph[/name_m], [name_f]Rose[/name_f] (as a middle), [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] (as a middle), [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Emily[/name_f] and [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] are really overused.

2 Likes

ugh, [name_m]Drayden[/name_m] is awful

5 Likes

I wasn’t even aware that was a real name😂

1 Like

@hanna_walker96 @CatLover14 I also was not aware it was a name until I met a little one at a daycare!

1 Like

Sophia and [name_f]Ava[/name_f] are very overused where I live all though I still love them. [name_f]Kaitlyn[/name_f]/Katelyn/Kaitlin you hear everywhere and I think needs a break. Same with [name_u]Madison[/name_u]. For boys, [name_u]Brayden[/name_u] is very overused. [name_m]Lucas[/name_m] and [name_u]Jackson[/name_u] are as well

1 Like

I think the most overused name is [name_u]Jackson[/name_u]/Jaxon!
[name_f]Abigail[/name_f] - I had 4 Abigails in my graduating class of 37
[name_u]Riley[/name_u] (for both genders)
[name_f]Isabella[/name_f] - I couldn’t keep up with the number of Isabellas in my school. If i didn’t know a girls name I just assumed it was [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] lol
[name_m]John[/name_m] - overused and pretty boring, I don’t mind [name_m]Jonathon[/name_m] tho
[name_u]Michael[/name_u] - overused for boy and now it’s starting to get popular for girls! I know a [name_f]Michaela[/name_f] who goes by [name_u]Michael[/name_u] and a girl who spellings it Mykal
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] - super cute name but all of a sudden it’s gotten sooo popular and I just don’t understand the attraction to the nickname [name_u]Ollie[/name_u]/Olly

1 Like

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f], [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_m]Myles[/name_m], [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] (I know, my own name :sweat_smile:), [name_u]Clair[/name_u], [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f], [name_u]Dylan[/name_u], [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Emily[/name_f], [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Amy[/name_f], [name_f]Ava[/name_f], [name_m]George[/name_m], [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]/Kate/Katie, [name_u]Owen[/name_u], [name_m]Samuel[/name_m], [name_f]Zoe[/name_f]/Zoey, and [name_m]Zachary[/name_m] all seem overused to me. All still adorable, just way too common.

1 Like

Loads of little ones at the moment with these names. Not bad per se, but definitely could use a breather: [name_f]Emily[/name_f], [name_f]Maya[/name_f], [name_f]Mia[/name_f], [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], [name_f]Ava[/name_f], [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_f]Isabella[/name_f], [name_u]Madison[/name_u], [name_u]Noah[/name_u] (even though I love it!), [name_m]Matthew[/name_m], [name_m]Jack[/name_m], [name_m]Jacob[/name_m].

Where I live the middle names [name_u]Rae[/name_u], [name_u]Louise[/name_u] and [name_u]Marie[/name_u] are literally everywhere too!

2 Likes

Out of these, the one I hear the most by far is [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]. There are four little Ellies running around our neighborhood!

[name_f]Ella[/name_f]/Ellie
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Ava[/name_f]
[name_f]Eva[/name_f]

[name_m]Levi[/name_m]
[name_m]Liam[/name_m]
[name_u]Jackson[/name_u]
[name_m]Josiah[/name_m]

1 Like

In my area, [name_f]Isla[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f] and [name_u]Freddie[/name_u] feel the most overused.

And middle name [name_f]Rose[/name_f] :rose:

All lovely names, but super popular where I am!

2 Likes

Here, [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] - and all of its spelling variants, like Ashlei - are VERY popular.
[name_u]Marie[/name_u] and [name_f]Hope[/name_f] are also popular as middles!
There are four [name_u]Riley[/name_u]'s at my current school, and they each spell it differently! [name_m]Rilley[/name_m], [name_m]Reily[/name_m], [name_u]Rylee[/name_u], and [name_m]Rilee[/name_m]! And, get this, they are all in the same class/grade. [name_u]Riley[/name_u] definitely needs a rest imo haha

1 Like

Where I am, it is overflowing with the names:
[name_m]Jack[/name_m]
[name_u]Riley[/name_u]/Ryeligh/Rylee
[name_u]Ashley[/name_u]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
Madysin/Madison
[name_f]Madeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Katie[/name_f]
[name_m]Zachary[/name_m]
McKenzie/Mackenzie/Mckenzie
[name_m]Declan[/name_m]

2 Likes

I worked at a kids camp last summer and took note of the most popular names. The age range for these is 7-12. It gives me a good idea of what’s really popular on kids today – not kids born today, obviously, but the ones that are growing up today. Definitely lots of Addies and Maddies, Allies and Ellies among the girls.

Out of just under 200 kids, there were…
[name_u]Abby[/name_u] x2 – one was actually [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] called ‘[name_u]Abby[/name_u]’, the other was just ‘[name_u]Abby[/name_u]’
[name_f]Addie[/name_f], [name_f]Addy[/name_f], [name_f]Addilyn[/name_f], [name_u]Addison[/name_u]
[name_f]Alaina[/name_f] x2 & [name_f]Alanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Alivia[/name_f] x2
[name_u]Allie[/name_u] x 2 (plus an [name_f]Allyson[/name_f])
[name_u]Avery[/name_u] x3 (plus an [name_f]Ava[/name_f])
[name_f]Ellie[/name_f] x2
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f] x3
[name_f]Isabel[/name_f] x2, one called ‘[name_u]Izzy[/name_u]’
[name_f]Jenna[/name_f] x2
[name_f]Kaylee[/name_f] x2 (plus a [name_f]Kayleen[/name_f])
[name_f]Kinsley[/name_f] x2
The '[name_f]Maddie[/name_f]’s: Maddyn, [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f] x3, and [name_f]Madilyn[/name_f] (No Madisons, though!)
Mileigh and [name_f]Miley[/name_f]
5 Peytons, all spelt differently: [name_f]Paityn[/name_f], [name_u]Payton[/name_u] x2, [name_u]Peyton[/name_u], and Peytyn
[name_u]Riley[/name_u] and [name_u]Rylee[/name_u]
[name_f]Sadie[/name_f] x2
[name_u]Taylor[/name_u] x2

Only one [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and one [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], though, which surprised me! And not a single [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] or [name_u]Madison[/name_u] – though I still hear them everywhere else.

Also, there were only 2 Aidens, but one of each gender.

For boys:
[name_u]Austin[/name_u] x2
[name_u]Brayden[/name_u] x2
[name_u]Charlie[/name_u] x2
[name_m]Daniel[/name_m] x2
[name_m]Jacob[/name_m], [name_m]Jacoby[/name_m], and [name_m]Jakobi[/name_m]
[name_m]Lucas[/name_m] x2
[name_m]Matthew[/name_m] x2

As you can see, much more variety amongst the boys, surprisingly. But 5 Paytons among the girls! That is clearly something. Whether I should have been or not, I was amazed at that.

1 Like

I’m getting quite tired of [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and [name_f]Eva[/name_f].

1 Like

Amelia, [name_f]Isabella[/name_f], [name_u]Cooper[/name_u] & [name_m]Levi[/name_m] are ones I constantly hear.

1 Like

Also [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is extremely common for a middle name.

1 Like