Oxford Comma

See the results of this poll: Oxford Comma?

Respondents: 23 (This poll is closed)

• Yes : 19 (83%)
  • No : 3 (13%)
  • What’s that?: 1 (4%)

K, so we have 8 Yes’s! That’s good! No No’s or What’s that’s.

I guess my answer is yes, because there are circumstances that would call for it imo, which is maybe wherein the discrepancy lies. It is largely a stylistic choice and depends on the structure/cadence/context of a sentence.

Necessary:

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you prefer red, green, or blue?
The sisters names were [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Jane[/name_f], and [name_f]Mary[/name_f].

Not necessarily necessary:

A single piece of parchment blew in the wind, weathered, crumpled and torn, longing for the ground.

Yes, but I’ve seen people do…

We will visit Grandmother, Uncle [name_m]David[/name_m] and Pops.

Or whatever. Doing that can (in some circumstances) result in something you were not trying to imply.

I’m team no! There are a few cases where I’d use it for clarity, but [name_f]IMO[/name_f] “[name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and [name_f]Mary[/name_f]” is absolutely fine.

It’s definitely necessary in some circumstances for clarification, I was giving an example of uses in situations where the choice is stylistic, where I personally would or would not use an oxford comma.

We invited the senators, [name_m]Jim[/name_m] and [name_m]George[/name_m].
We invited the senators, [name_m]Jim[/name_m], and [name_m]George[/name_m].

Did you invite the senators, who are named [name_m]Jim[/name_m] and [name_m]George[/name_m]? Or, did you invite the senators, as well as two men named [name_m]Jim[/name_m] and [name_m]George[/name_m]?

1 Like

Definitely, yes!!