Pack n Play

DD is currently 3 1/2 months old and sleeps in the pack n play in our bedroom. I am just wondering how long it is recommended or safe for her to sleep in that at night? [name_m]Even[/name_m] when we switch her to her crib it’ll be in our bedroom at first.

Thanks!

I think its until 3 months old or when they first begin to roll over. Once they start being able to roll over its no longer safe for them to sleep in the little napping insert for the pack and play (if that’s what you’re using).

@emmilose - it’s the bassinet insert, runs the entire length of the pack n play, ours doesn’t have the changing station on it. She hasn’t quite started rolling over yet.

Any other Moms know about what is recommended?

That’s what I thought! I didn’t want to assume though that she was in the bassinet insert because technically if she was sleeping in the pack and play my comment about rolling over wouldn’t apply. The only reason I even remember the age limit of 3 months is because I helped my sister in law put her pack and play together and remember reading that in the directions.

I’m not sure what the pack n play recommendations are, but if you eventually want your baby to sleep somewhere else I think the sooner the transition the better. Our oldest slept in a bassinet (until about 4 months) and then co-slept with us (until about 10 months) and would never transition to a crib. So, she slept in a pack n play (without the bassinet/insert) from around 11 months to 2 1/2 years old. We only used a bassinet for about the first week for our second daughter and she’s slept in a crib all along. But, each baby is completely different and has different personalities. Our oldest who co-slept loves to cuddle and loves to be held (even at almost 4 years old). Our younger daughter rarely wants to be held and won’t cuddle unless she’s hurt or not feeling well.

My son slept in the bassinet insert of the pack and play till he was about six months. I know sone of the newer ones come with a newborn napper thing, I don’t mean that part. He slept next to our bed and there was never an issue. There was plenty of room for him to roll over and no way to roll out. He was 20lbs at four months and he didn’t break it or anything. I mean, go with the manufacturer recommendations, obviously. It just wasn’t a problem for us.

It was also no issue to transfer him to a crib in his own room at six months, but every baby is different.

Thank you all so much for answering! :slight_smile: and for the advice about transitioning to the crib. Any suggestions on how best to do that?

As I was looking at the pack n play today I noticed for the bassinet insert that it’s rrecommended for up to 15 pounds or when they can push up really well on their arms and legs. She should be able to stay in it for a little while longer.

I guess I will need to get DH to set up the crib in our room
in the next couple of weeks.

[name_f]Every[/name_f] child and family is different. Our pediatrician recommended we have Saela sleep in her crib in her room at 4 months and I didn’t listen. She stayed with us in our room (either in portable crib or in her mamaroo) until 6 months and it was a little difficult moving her out. Sooner is definitely better than later. I still nurse her to sleep and then put her in her crib in her room. So if you want to make the switch, do it soon!

@stephykneejo - thank you. I know we will be switching her to
her crib this month. She still gets up at night to nurse, plus what will be her room is currently home to 12 fish tanks (Dh’s), as we are 3/4 of the way done
adding on to our house so for now the crib will have to stay in our bedroom.

Thanks again all you berries who answered! :slight_smile:

I’ve heard the 4 month thing too. I think because it’s around that age that they begin to be more aware of their surroundings, so it’s best to establish their permanent sleeping situation at that time or they’ll be resistant later. All families and situations are different though, for sure.

We moved my son from his attached co-sleeper to his own room/crib at four months. I was a nervous wreck… he was just fine, haha.

I totally understand having to keep her in your room! Saela shares a room with [name_f]Maeby[/name_f] so I was hesitant to move her in there with her because she still wakes up at night. Turned out that [name_f]Maeby[/name_f] sleeps through all of it! [name_m]Just[/name_m] having your little one in her own crib and then moving it to her own room eventually will help. Good luck!

@stephykneejo - thanks!

I don’t have not much idea about it .