Pam or Linda??? Social Security name data question

Are the names based on first names only? I looked at the website and it says “given name” so does that also include middles? I have always assumed that the data was only based on first names. But then I read a recent post where someone eluded to middles being included. (the post went something like this: I never hear (name) but its listed as being so popular, so Im assuming that people are really using it as a middle name)

I’m pretty sure the middle name can’t possibly be included as “given name.” Otherwise we would see [name]Marie[/name] and [name]Ann[/name] as top contenders for girls’ names. More people are given the same middle name than are given the same first name, thus if middle names were included, they’d most likely take up the first 5 ranking spots automatically, right? Good question. I can’t find a statement from the SSA anywhere that pins this down specifically though.

Thank you for your reply, it seems to be a gray area. Maybe [name]Pam[/name] or [name]Linda[/name] will see this post.

The SS list is definitely first names only.