Parents names middle names

If you use a family name as a middle for one child, do you think you should do the same for others after that? More specifically, if one child has one parents name as their middle (in our case it would be the father’s), do you think the next child should also have a parents name or variant of their name in the middle?

Our son’s middle name, [name_m]Emmanuel[/name_m], is a family name (paternal grandfather). I don’t think that, because of this, our other children should have a family middle name as well. They might have, but maybe they won’t, and that’s both fine. As long as it’s a name you love and/or that has special meaning to you, that’s all that matters.

I don’t think it necessarily has to be a family name, but it might be nice for each kid to have at least an honor name of some sort. That’s just me, though!

I don’t think so. My older sister has my mum’s middle name as hers, and my middle name and my younger sister’s middle name are nothing to do with my mum or dad (however, they are family honour middles). My nephew has his dad’s name as his middle and my niece hasn’t got a family honour middle, just a name they liked.

I don’t think they need to all have honours if one child does. The child may notice it when they’re older and question it, or they may not, but that’s something I’d take into account.

Personally, I don’t think so, though I suppose it depends on your family situation and traditions, etc. In my family, my brothers have honour names, but my name does not honour anyone (my parents chose it just because they liked it). I’ve never heard anyone in the family remark on this.

Thanks for the feedback, berries :slight_smile:

My middle name honors my grandmas and my sisters’ names don’t honor. I honestly didn’t notice my name honored and theirs didn’t until like 5 years ago (it’s a variation of my grandmas’ names and no one ever talked about it). It’s literally never come up in conversation ever. And we’re the competitive sisters who fight about everything lmao.

No, I definitely don’t think it’s nesscary. My brother has a family name for his middle name, while my sister and I do not, and I’ve never thought anything of it.

Thank you! I’m glad to hear this.

I kind of lean towards using either all family names, or not. But thats just me and my pickiness :slight_smile:

I don’t think it’s necessary. For example, I share my mother’s middle name but neither of my siblings’ middle names are honour names. It hasn’t caused any sort of rift and I don’t think it’s an issue.

I don’t think it has to be the other parent’s name, in fact I don’t really like that, since I’m not a fan of couple names in siblings’ names (I can be picky). But I would feel a little inclined to use another family or honour name, maybe from the other parent’s side. I sort of agree with @carysmarie; all or nothing simiplifies it for me personally. I do have one or two family honour names, but the other names within the sibset technically ‘honour’ different things for me (e.g. name meaning linked to my own name, my love of books, reading and literary characters, history and mythology etc.). I don’t know if that makes sense haha.

There are no “rules” in naming siblings. A name can be meaningful for reasons other than a family connection. [name_m]Just[/name_m] because one child’s name is meaningful for one particular reason does not mean every child’s name must be meaningful for that same reason.

Personally, I think that if you’ve honoured family with one middle name, you should do the same for all your children. All of me and my siblings middle names honours family, and I would have felt really left out if my name was the only one that didn’t have a family connection. I think it’s a really nice link to the past, and a good family tie.

This is something I think of a lot, because I have a couple of honor names. Most of them are in my top names, anyways. But, like, [name_f]Aubree[/name_f] [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] is honoring a neighbor of mine that I had my whole child hood up til she passed away, her name was [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]. I love [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] as well, so that doubles it for me. But, one of my top favorite names [name_f]Annika[/name_f] [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] [name_f]Snow[/name_f] isn’t honoring any one. I’ve liked [name_f]Annika[/name_f] since I was sixteen years old when I babysat a little girl with the name, and I just liked the other names together.

So, even though, I don’t have kids yet, it’s something I think about a lot. Honestly, my opinion is if you love the name, that’s enough to mean something as well. Most of us as a name nerds have a story for every name we like for one reason or another, and then there are the honor names that we have, so I think that’s another thing that you can be like “well I just really loved the name because of so and so”.

Thank you all for your opinions on this. As far as traditions go, we’re not so much going by that, my husband would like his name to be a middle for any boys we might have or a variation as a first name and I’m not so keen on having my name as a middle for any girls we might have.

We’re planning on using honor middles for most of our combinations… but we’ve also thought of using a second middle name to actually give ourselves some more leeway.

In my own family, we use honor names, and his family uses honor middles (i.e., his father’s name is his middle) if that gives any context.