Parents' reaction to name - that went about how I expected

sigh

I knew it wasn’t going to be received well, but at least it’s over. My 4 year-old spilled the beans tonight on the baby’s name and FIL’s reaction was, “[name_m]LINUS[/name_m]?! That’s an AWFUL name. You can’t be serious!” Um, yeah. sigh I have to keep in mind this is the same guy that gave me a list of about 10 names that he deemed “better” than [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] when he heard her name after she was born. [name_f]MIL[/name_f] was at least diplomatic. She said, “Like [name_m]Linus[/name_m] Pauling? It’s… um… distinguished.” I know they’ll get over it, and it was about the exact reaction I expected, but I still feel deflated. Now to tell MY parents…

[name_m]Linus[/name_m] Pauling is definitely distinguished. It’s a strong, quirky name, offbeat but not odd. You’ve picked a winner. Ignore your parents. What matters is that you and your husband like the name.

I’d just remind them that they got to name their children, it’s only fair that you should get to name yours.

They’ll get over it. If you and your husband love the name and think that your son will love it too, that’s all that matters.

Ditto.

The only association I have with [name_m]Linus[/name_m] is [name_m]Linus[/name_m] van Pelt, which is an awesome association to have, I think. [name_m]Linus[/name_m] is on our list. SO really wants to use it if we have boy/girl twins and name them [name_m]Linus[/name_m] and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]. :frowning:

Goes to show: never tell anything to a 4 year old that you aren’t ready to share with the world :wink:

[name_m]Linus[/name_m] [name_m]Roman[/name_m] is an absolutely lovely name, if you and your husband adore it that should be enough!

I think [name_m]Linus[/name_m] [name_m]Roman[/name_m] is awesome. Warm, strong, and charming.

[name_m]Linus[/name_m] is a great name! I worry about my in-laws reaction to our name choices, especially [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f]. Family seem to think they have a right to weigh in on a babies name!

[name_m]Linus[/name_m] [name_m]Roman[/name_m] is a great name!

Oh dear…

This is why my [name_f]MIL[/name_f] isn’t allowed to hear our name choices. Last time she was so negative about so many of the names it made us a bit heartbroken :(.

This time we’ve let her recommend names, but we aren’t telling her our favorites. I’m pretty sure she’d hate our #1 boy name, since I think she is expecting us to name him after her.

Oh wow [name_m]Linus[/name_m] is wonderful! I’m a big fan. So pleased to see it being used.

I’m so sorry that happened to you. Sounds like your FIL doesn’t realize he’s stepping over [name_m]MAJOR[/name_m] boundaries of appropriate behavior. [name_m]Just[/name_m] know the rest of the world thinks the names [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] and [name_m]Linus[/name_m] are fabulous!

Thanks for the support!! This man gets under my skin like no one else.