Parkin?

We love [name_m]Parkin[/name_m] for our baby boy because it means “[name_m]Little[/name_m] [name_m]Peter[/name_m]” and my husband is a [name_m]Peter[/name_m] the 3rd. We aren’t really interested in having a 4th but we think [name_m]Parkin[/name_m] is such a sweet way to carry on the tradition.

Our issue is that it might be a lifetime of people mishearing it as [name_u]Parker[/name_u]. Which isn’t the worst thing, I just know from personal experience that it can get annoying constantly correcting people.

What do you think? Should we let the similarities stop us from using a name that we love and that holds meaning to us or just hope that he isn’t bothered by correcting people? Am I overthinking it? [name_f]My[/name_f] husband doesn’t think it’s a big deal at all but I’m just not sure.

2 Likes

I don’t think you’ll have problems with correcting people on what his name is. I also don’t think I would use the name despite the meaning. I can only see a time where he has his own children, that there may be some awkwardness. Parkin’s son could sound a lot like Parkinson’s (disease).

1 Like

Parkin is sweet, and I agree that it’s a nice subtle nod to the family tradition.

I think the -in ending is quite distinct from the -er ending of [name_u]Parker[/name_u], so as long as you say the name clearly when introducing him, I don’t think you’ll have too many problems.

For me, parkin is a delicious ginger cake! (I’m a [name_u]Brit[/name_u] with Yorkshire connections). So for that reason it does make me do a bit of a double-take as a baby name, but I like the sound and it feels meaningful and interesting but not outlandish.

Welcome to Nameberry, and congratulations!

2 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] only association is that it reminds me of parking a car…

I am from Yorkshire and I just thought ginger cake too but think it should be fine outside UK

I think it’s distinctive enough from [name_u]Parker[/name_u], although he may get called that a few times (most names get messed up tho). However, it immediately made me think of Parkinson’s disease.

2 Likes

[name_m]Parkin[/name_m] seems incomplete to me and while I don’t think of Parkinson after it’s mentioned I can see the association (Though I’m not sure anybody calls it [name_m]Parkin[/name_m]) I think [name_u]Parker[/name_u] is a good alternative but takes away the meaning of “[name_m]Little[/name_m] [name_m]Peter[/name_m]” I thought of the name [name_u]Aden[/name_u] Pier for you that means “[name_m]Little[/name_m] [name_m]Peter[/name_m]”, [name_u]Aden[/name_u] meaning little and fier, and Pier being another form of [name_m]Peter[/name_m]! Here’s a list of names that mean “little” if you would like to search for that alternative meaning
[221 Names That Mean Small, Little, or Tiny | Nameberry]

1 Like

I thought the same thing as @futuremama, unfortunately.

1 Like

Hmm, we didn’t even think about the Parkinson’s connection, I guess we’ll scrap it as a first name (we do love it still so maybe as a middle?) and go back to the drawing board.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

3 Likes

I think it would work well as a middle.

I didnt think of Parkinson’s. Parkinsons is very long word compared to [name_m]Parkin[/name_m] to me! I think people are overthinking it and being too literal. You can make any bad association to any name if you consider lengthing or shortening or rhyming it.

I haven’t heard of [name_m]Parkin[/name_m] before! I do think it would get mistaken for [name_u]Parker[/name_u] but once corrected, no big deal. I think I would prefer to see it spelled [name_m]Parken[/name_m] but not sure if that changes the name entirely?

If it has meaning to you, I think that is the most important thing. It could be really handsome depending upon the middle and last name I feel. I think people just haven’t heard of it so have no association to latch to. But that’s not a bad thing. I say follow your heart on this one!

I love how it means little [name_m]Peter[/name_m]! I don’t think there will be much of a problem with the pronunciation, if you correct people once they’ll probably get it. Otherwise I think it would be a lovely name!:blush:

If you love it, use it

It does remind me a bit of Parkinsons but it’s quite sweet