Patchouli?

So dh and I were talking today about babynames. We are naturally drawn to nature names for girls. We have a daughter named [name_f]Sparrow[/name_f].
He suggested the name Patchouli nn ooli - is this usable?

I am not worried about it sounding ‘Hippie like’ or anything like that but is it pretty? He is really digging this name and I have to say I don’t hate it. I think the nn Ooli is quite adorable. I am more concerned with how it will be percieved or I would totally use it.

Maybe with a classic/traditional middle to balance it out - Or should this be locked away in our guilty pleasures list?

It’s not my style to be honest. Patchouli sounds like you were trying too hard to be different. If you are okay constantly defending your daughters name then okay.

I would ask yourself if you would be okay if your parents named you Patchouli.

Honestly as someone with an out there name I would go a different route.

From your signature I think [name_f]Fern[/name_f] is beautiful and may be a better alternative.

I’m not a big fan of it. I think it is unusable, but if you and your husband love it you should use it.

I have an ‘out there name’ too and so does my husband. Everytime I intoduce myself people ask me my name twice as if they are certain they misheard it. So I understsand what you mean… but I actually love my name.

I love [name_f]Fern[/name_f] too but the names in my signautre are all names that are vetoed by the dh.

We thought we were set on [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] but we can’t stand the way the people in our area seem to pronounce it.

I’m honestly not a fan. It seems like a last name to me, which isn’t always a bad thing, but nothing about it says ‘first name’ to me. I don’t know. Ooli is really cute but I just don’t see Patchouli working out. If you like the Oo sound, maybe [name_f]Ooma[/name_f]? You could call her Oomi as a nick name which would be cute.

I do not find it to be usable at all, sorry. I like [name_u]Winter[/name_u] and [name_f]Fern[/name_f] from your sig.

If you aren’t looking for other suggestions, please disregard:
[name_u]Vesper[/name_u]
[name_u]Winter[/name_u]
[name_f]Lark[/name_f]
[name_f]Starling[/name_f]
[name_u]Skyler[/name_u]
[name_u]Echo[/name_u] (as seen from another thread)
[name_f]Willow[/name_f]
[name_f]Harlow[/name_f]

Since [name_f]Fern[/name_f] is out maybe:

[name_f]Clementine[/name_f]
[name_u]Dove[/name_u]
[name_f]Lark[/name_f]
[name_f]Lavender[/name_f]
[name_m]Wilder[/name_m]
[name_f]Peony[/name_f] (Ooni?)
[name_m]Emrys[/name_m]
[name_f]Fawn[/name_f]

I would say that [name_f]Sparrow[/name_f] should be on your guilty pleasure list as well but since you were willing to use [name_f]Sparrow[/name_f], I wouldn’t say Patchouli is unusable for you.

[name_f]Sparrow[/name_f]? Really? I see it used a lot as a name. I would of never thought of it as a guilty pleasure, interesting. No ones ever bats an eye at my daughters name.

I don’t really want another bird name and honestly we’ve gone over a ton of nature names and we just don’t love a name as much as [name_f]Sparrow[/name_f]'s yet. I don’t even care if it is or isn’t a nature name none of my 3 boys have a nature name - just still looking for the one.

It will come along, thanks for all your input about Parchouli :slight_smile:

Honestly, I’m not a fan of Patchouli. I don’t really like the sound and it doesn’t really feel like a usable name. I do think Ooli/[name_u]Uli[/name_u] is really cute though. What about just [name_u]Uli[/name_u] as a name? Or some other name that has a similar sound.

Some suggestions:

[name_u]Uli[/name_u]
[name_f]Tulip[/name_f]
[name_f]Toolia[/name_f]
[name_f]Iola[/name_f]
[name_u]Truly[/name_u]
Ulia
Lazuli

Oh I like [name_u]Truly[/name_u] and [name_f]Tulip[/name_f]! Thanks squidly! I’ll have to ask DH about them :slight_smile:

Patchouli should stay on the guilty pleasure list. It just isn’t a good choice for a person, although I’m sure an employer would get a kick out of seeing it on a resume.

Well looks like I’m going to be the lone advocate. It is interesting, unique. I’m familiar with the word, so pronunciation wasn’t a problem. It’s growing on me the more I think about it. I don’t really like nn Ooli though. Patch seems much better and more intuitive. Go with what you love!

P.S. I really like sparrow too :slight_smile:

Not a fan. Too food-sounding, and not in a cute “plum” kind of way, imo. I adore the suggestion of [name_f]Ooma[/name_f].

Thanks bSkelton! I feel less crazy now lol

I am not an [name_f]Ooma[/name_f] fan. I have added [name_u]Truly[/name_u] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] to our consideration list though :slight_smile:

I massively second @squidly’s suggestion of [name_f]Tulip[/name_f]! I think it’s fabulous with [name_f]Sparrow[/name_f], and you could still use nn Ooli/[name_u]Uli[/name_u] if you like.

Patchouli is really not my style. I personally don’t find it usable.

I’m not a fan of it, I’m afraid. I find patchouli to be a rather unpleasant scent actually, and therefore using it as a name, doesn’t seem right to me. There are a lot of unique nature names that I love though, like Bluebell, Tulip, Tallulah, etc., which can all also have the nn Ooli.

[name_f]Bluebell[/name_f] isn’t usable in our neck of the woods. All that would scream is ice cream unfortunately because we liked bluebell for a middle name.

[name_u]Truly[/name_u] is ou front runner right now. DH likes [name_u]Truly[/name_u] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] but I’m not sold on the combo personally.

[name_f]Tulip[/name_f] sounds like ‘two lips’ according to my father and that sort of ruined it for me :frowning:

So glad you like [name_u]Truly[/name_u]! It’s a favorite of mine, but I won’t ever get to use it since my husband doesn’t like it. I think [name_u]Truly[/name_u] and [name_f]Sparrow[/name_f] are adorable together. [name_u]Truly[/name_u] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] is cute. What about [name_u]Truly[/name_u] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] or [name_u]Truly[/name_u] [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]?

I think [name_f]Sparrow[/name_f] and [name_u]Truly[/name_u] are super cute. I just love it! I thought [name_u]Truly[/name_u] Amora was really cute since it would be like ‘[name_u]True[/name_u] [name_u]Love[/name_u]’ but I can’t decide if that is just incredibly cheesy or endearing. lol I think as a family we hang out on the border of incredibly cheesy and endearing, a lot! lol :slight_smile: I love [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] but dh is not a fan and we nixed [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] because of pronounciation. We say mar-eh-gold, and most peoplee around here say mary-gold. The slight difference gets. to. me. Crazy I know, but I can’t use it now.