Pattern or Theme?

[name]Hi[/name] all,

Planning baby #4 and we need some advice. Each of our children have a biblical name (a classic one) as a first name and then a family name as a middle. Is this a theme?

We disagree on whether we need to keep going with this. First child it was pretty much a coincidence for the fn and a done deal for the second. #3 we planned to keep the pattern as I didn’t want to leave her out if she was the last. Now we don’t know what to do. I want to keep going but my hubby wants to look further afield (though is slow to offer alternatives). He likes the names but not the theme aspect.

FWIW here are the biblical names we are tossing up MN would be either [name]Frances[/name], [name]Anne[/name] or [name]May[/name] (grandparents) or [name]Robert[/name] depending on which fn would be chosen:

[name]Eve[/name], [name]Carmel[/name], [name]Philippa[/name]

[name]Nathan[/name], [name]Isaac[/name], [name]Dan[/name]

What do you think? Is 4 a theme? Is that a good or bad thing?

I think it is a theme, but maybe not as noticeable of one as it could be. (They don’t all start with the same letter, or something, do they?)

It would depend on if you think you’d plan on a fifth baby. (Surprise babies notwithstanding, of course!) If you think you’d plan having more, you could go out of the theme or #4 and #5 (or more). If you think that you’d be done after #4 and gave him/her a name out of the theme, they might notice and ask why later.

I have a cousin with 4 boys named [name]Garrett[/name] [name]Logan[/name], [name]Grant[/name] [name]Elliott[/name], [name]Graham[/name] [name]Quentin[/name] and [name]Grayson[/name] Wirth. All the first names start with ‘g’ and are followed by ‘ar’ or ‘ra’, obviously. The middle names are all family names (mom’s mom’s side, mom’s dad side, dad’s dad’s side, dad’s mom’s side). #4 was a surprise and they didn’t plan on a fifth, so they went ahead with the theme for #4. (It would have seemed odd if they had another and gone out of the theme.) Her sister has 2 boys and a girl: [name]Cale[/name] [name]Anthony[/name], [name]Connor[/name] [name]Scott[/name] and [name]Kennedy[/name] [name]Leigh[/name]. No theme for the mn’s, but obviously ‘k’ sounds for the fn’s. (Again, it would seem weird if they had 1 more and the fn started with a different sound.)

Sorry for novel! I like names and enjoy hearing sibsets. :slight_smile:

Forgot to add, depending on the theme, you can be limited by names after a small amount of kids. With your theme, I don’t see that as being an issue as there are a TON of biblical names to choose from and depending on your family tree, a good amount of family names, too.

I think that since so many Biblical names are traditional/classic that if you chose not to go with a Biblical name but stayed traditional it would be fine. I’m a [name]Laura[/name] and my siblings are [name]Rebecca[/name] and [name]Daniel[/name]. It never occured to me until I named my own kids that I had the only non-Biblical name.

I think lo makes a good point!
However, I do really like [name]Carmel[/name] [name]Frances[/name] for a girl & [name]Isaac[/name] [name]Robert[/name] for a boy from your above list.