Penelope question

See the results of this poll: What is your favourite?

Respondents: 61 (This poll is closed)

• I love the nn of Penny : 26 (35%)
  • I love the nn of Poppy : 31 (41%)
  • I would use either as a stand alone name instead of Penelope : 7 (9%)
  • I dislike Penelope: 11 (15%)

I think [name]Penny[/name] still feels sort of tired, although it could be cute. [name]Poppy[/name] is fresher and really cute. Either [name]Penny[/name] or [name]Poppy[/name] feels really informal for me for a first name for my taste.

Probably my favorite nn for [name]Penelope[/name] is [name]Nell[/name] : D.

All best!

Oh yes, jesba I had forgotten about [name]Nell[/name], and she does bring a freshness to the nn.

I’ve also heard of [name]Lola[/name] used for [name]Penelope[/name] though that is definitely out of left field. Though I think [name]Penny[/name] and [name]Poppy[/name] are both cute.

I love everything about [name]Penelope[/name]. I love that she has so many great nicknames, much like [name]Elizabeth[/name], another favorite of mine. [name]Penny[/name], [name]Poppy[/name], [name]Nell/name, and my very favorite, [name]Pepper[/name]. <3 I really hope Penelope stays out of the top 100!! (Wishful thinking!)

If I were to use a NN for [name]Penelope[/name], I would use [name]Nell[/name] or [name]Nellie[/name].
Out of your options though, I would just go with [name]Penny[/name].
Maybe it doesn’t feel outdated because I know 2 people that go by [name]Penny[/name]. :slight_smile:

I’m really not a fan of [name]Penelope[/name] but I absolutely adore both nickname options…however they both feel like nicknames not full names to me. I actually grew up knowing a [name]Poppy[/name] (now in her 30s and went to [name]Harvard[/name] [name]Law[/name]). Somehow it still feels like a nickname though. [name]Penelope[/name] though is one of those names I just can’t seem to like at all, but I have no legitimate reason why I feel this way.

Ooh I had forgotten [name]Lola[/name]! I like it and don’t think it’s out of left field, although I tend to be pretty flexible : D. [name]Nell[/name] would still be my favorite though. Maybe one day I’ll have a [name]Helena[/name] nn’d [name]Nell[/name].

Knowing Pennys (Pennies?) probably helps : D! The only Pennies I know are a dog and a woman in her 50s, so that’s probably my association. If I met a little girl with it it would probably youthen up quickly.

I do really like this name but can’t use it for the personal associations above. I guess it’ll hit top 100? It seems like the sort of name that migth always be too clunky for some people’s tastes, but you never know.

I adore [name]Penelope[/name] and all of her nicknames. I’ve also heard [name]Pippa[/name] used as a nickname for [name]Penelope[/name].

I wouldn’t use the nicknames at all. I’d use [name]Penelope[/name].

The lope part of [name]Penelope[/name] for some strange reason reminds me of the French loup meaning wolf, so that is why I have a problem with [name]Penelope[/name] in full.

I’d use [name]Penny[/name]. I don’t really like the nn [name]Poppy[/name].

I agree with malk. I like [name]Penelope[/name] infinintely better than any of her nicknames. I am not a nn fan though. I don’t understand giving a child a gorgeous name and not using it.

I’d go with [name]Penny[/name]. I just can’t seem to get on board with [name]Poppy[/name] for some reason. I love [name]Penelope[/name] :slight_smile:

I work with kids. Too many Penelopes…

I agree wholeheartedly, I think the nn ‘thing’ seems to have become more important than the name itself.

rollo

[name]Poppy[/name] and [name]Lola[/name] are great! I don’t like [name]Penny[/name]. I agree with mlalk though - I’d just use [name]Penelope[/name] as it is a gorgeous name :smiley: