Penrose?

We’re 99.9 percent sure we’ve decided on our 3rd daughter’s name, so I’m not actually considering [name_u]Penrose[/name_u]…at least not this time!
I saw this name a couple of days ago, I think in this forum, but I can’t seem to find much info about the name. I’ve read it’s both a Cornish and welsh place name- I’m from fairly close to both and I hadn’t actually heard it before. I also read it’s a last name but I’m assuming it’s not common as I can’t recall meeting anyone with this last name. Another source said it was a boys name…and I can see how it could be a masculine name.
I think it’s very interesting and unique and could lead to lovely nicknames ([name_f]Rosie[/name_f] or [name_u]Penny[/name_u]) for a girl. I don’t think it has the flow of similar name [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] (which I also love) but it does have a stronger and more unique sound.
Does anyone know anymore info about the name? Have you ever met anyone with name? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think of it as a last name, boys name, girls name or unisex name? What kind of person would you imagine being named ‘[name_u]Penrose[/name_u]’?

All I know is what is on Behind the Name.

“Transferred use of the surname, which was derived from a place name meaning “highest part of the heath or moorland” from the Celtic elements pen “head, top, end” and ros “heath, moor”. Places in Cornwall, Herefordshire and [name_m]Wales[/name_m] bear this name. A fictional bearer of the surname is [name_m]Llewellin[/name_m] [name_u]Penrose[/name_u] from ‘The Journal of [name_m]Llewellin[/name_m] [name_u]Penrose[/name_u], Seaman’ by [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_m]Williams[/name_m] (1727-1791). As a given name it was borne by [name_m]Norwood[/name_m] [name_u]Penrose[/name_u] “[name_u]Pen[/name_u]” Hallowell (1839-1914), a Union [name_m]Army[/name_m] officer in the American Civil War.”

I have never met anyone with the name I think of it as a surname. As a given name, I would consider it to be masculine.

I definetly see it as a girls name, but I like [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] quite a deal more. [name_u]Penrose[/name_u], the ‘pen’ in the front does not appeal to me. I am not fond of names like [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] or [name_u]Penny[/name_u] either though. From a purely objective standpoint leaving my own taste aside, I think [name_u]Penrose[/name_u] nickname ‘[name_f]Rosie[/name_f]’ works just fine for a girl. It is something she can grow into using her full name as an adult but it still has a whimsical feel to it.

For me it is primarily a surname, or an upper class male given name. I’m not a huge fan, but it would make for an interesting and unexpected choice for a girl. It would definitely be a novel way to get to the sweet nicknames [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] and [name_u]Penny[/name_u].

I have been searching for B names for my LO, and came across [name_f]Briallen[/name_f], which means [name_f]Primrose[/name_f]. I was reading about it on another naming site and they mentioned this as a nice alternative to [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] since the Hunger Games features a character with that name which may boast its popularity in coming years.

I think it’s adorable for a boy or a girl. When I hear it however, I think of it as being a girls name. It’s nicknames [name_u]Penny[/name_u] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f] are so sweet. It does sound like a surname, but I’m ok with that. I have not met someone with this name, but I would love to.

I really only have the info thats on BehindtheName as well.
But I really love [name_u]Penrose[/name_u] and if I could convince my husband to like it too… well I’d be thrilled.
(I also think [name_f]Posey[/name_f] would work as a nn as an alternative for [name_u]Penny[/name_u] or [name_f]Rosie[/name_f]).