Peridot should the spelling be changed?

Hello Berries,

We are considering [name]Peridot[/name] for our daughter do in [name]April[/name]. I have always pronounced this stone Pear- ah-doe but upon googling it apparently there are other pronunciations. I do not like creative spelling BUT I am afraid that since this stone is fairly obscure people will mispronounce it Pear- eh-dot. My questions are: 1) how would you pronounce [name]Peridot[/name]? 2) is there a different spelling I could use to get the pronunciation right ie Peridoe? Or would this change the integrity of the name?

Thanx,
[name]Meryl[/name]

I’ve only heard people say it with a silent T at the end, so I would stick with [name]Peridot[/name]. [name]Margot[/name] is a fairly well known name, and it has the same issues. Normally I don’t like spelling chances either, but I especially don’t like it on something that’s already a noun. I think if you’re going to use the name you should stick with [name]Peridot[/name], and accept the fact your daughter might have to explain her name to people occasionally. It is a birth stone though, so it’s not totally obscure.

Also, what a cool name! It’s definitely my taste for middle names, but it would make a cool first name too.

No! [name]Don[/name]'t change the spelling from the original. As pp said, its already a word, so changing it just seems yooneek to me. Besides, just think, if you have to correct someone once in a while about how to say her name, they’ll also know how to properly say the gem! (saying it Pear-ah-dot just sounds awful).
Interesting choice, and there are some fun nn options too!

Definitely keep the original spelling! A person would have to be extremely ignorant to pronounce the name Pear-ah-dot. Like a pp said, the name [name]Margot[/name] has the name stipulations and I don’t think Margots out there have any problems. Plus [name]Peridot[/name] is such a well known stone! My favorite.

NO! Please don’t change the spelling. :slight_smile: It’s an established word/stone and I think it would look weird spelled differently.

I [name]LOVE[/name] that you are using [name]Peridot[/name] as a first name. I love it too but I don’t think my dh would go for it. I would hope that most people know how to say it correctly.

Are you thinking of using a nn. [name]Peri[/name] or [name]Doe[/name] (I did change the spelling for the nn but [name]Dot[/name] would definitely get pronounce [name]Dot[/name] on it’s own. :slight_smile: ) would be so cute.

I agree - spell it [name]Peridot[/name]. You may have to correct someone’s pronunciation every once in a while if they are totally unfamiliar with the gem. If you spell it Peridoe then you will have to correct the spelling for everyone, all the time.

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Meryl[/name]

The [name]Peridot[/name] is one of my favourite stones. I love its light green colour. I say [name]Perry[/name] dough. I would not change the spelling though.

It fits with the new trend towards names that have an ‘o’ ending, eg [name]Margot[/name] and [name]Marlowe[/name].

My thoughts exactly. I would not change the spelling. I can’t imagine too many people not pronouncing it with a silent T. It is a gorgeous name!

[name]Just[/name] a thought, for someone whose first language is not English (or any European languages), it’s not apparent to me that it has a silent t. I don’t know my gem stones well either :slight_smile:

I have never heard of the name [name]Margot[/name] until Nameberries, so didn’t know it has a silent t either.

I mean, how do you know whether a word has a silent t (or silent whatever) by just looking at it?

But, once someone has taught me how to pronounce it properly, it’s not hard to remember.

Not sure…I mean English is my main language and I guess I never heard someone pronounce it correctly or ever say it actually. I’ve only ever read it. I would have said the par a dot way…but now that I know yea it makes sense. I do know my gems as well, but sometimes the spelling could be pronounced on things differently…for instance: [name]Ian[/name] I know some pronounce it I-an and I pronounce it E-in. Granted it’s a name and not a gem lol.

Thank you all for your response! Initially we did not want to use any names ending in the O or A sound as we already have a [name]Lila[/name] (leelah) and a Miro. BUT I am so in love w [name]Juno[/name] and [name]Peridot[/name]. I also thought [name]Peridot[/name] was a very well known stone so pple would no how to pronounce it. I have mentioned this name to many of my well educated friends and they don’t know how to pronounce it and they don’t even now its a stone. Like Kulah said its not that easy to figure out the pronunciation. For example I had always see [name]Margo[/name] spelt this way when I met a [name]Margot[/name] I was not sure how to say it. My daughter, [name]Lila[/name] was named after the [name]Lilac[/name] flower in spanish so I didn’t want to change the spelling but now I wish I had spelt it [name]Lela[/name] as everyone says [name]Lyla[/name]!

@tricertatops congrats on your twins. [name]Love[/name] their names! For some reason I thought u were gonna have 2 boys.

Haha, I thought it was supposed to be two boys as well, but they came and [name]Kitty[/name] was certainly not a boy.

Although I love [name]Juno[/name] more than [name]Peridot[/name], I think that [name]Peridot[/name] matches better with [name]Lila[/name] and Miro. I wouldn’t change the spelling or worry about the pronunciation issue. You may have to correct people once but they’ll soon get the hang of it. The beauty of the name is its uniqueness so expect people not to know how to pronounce it!

[name]Even[/name] though I’m well-educated, I still say Pear-a-dot. What can I say, I grew up in the sticks and learned to read early. I say LOTS of words wrong, because I read words long before I ever heard them out loud.

That said, correct me once, I’ll blush and say it right the next time.

My daughter, Lila was named after the Lilac flower in spanish so I didn’t want to change the spelling but now I wish I had spelt it Lela as everyone says Lyla!

I might assume [name]Lela[/name] was said [name]Layla[/name]. The double-L names are an often-cited example of easy mispronunciation, but maybe that’s just because they’re so popular. A, E and I can all be said several ways, so there’s not really such a thing as “phonetic” spelling. At least, not useful phonetic spelling.

And I was under the impression it was pear-ee-doe.

Actually, either pronunciation is correct . . . you wouldn’t have to be ‘extremely ignorant’ to pronounce it per-i-dot . . . Peridot Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com

@darcy I agree u do not have to be “ignorant” to pronounce it pear-ih-dot.

DH says he really only like [name]Peridot[/name] as a middle name as he feels its too long w our other kids names and he is afraid it will be shortened to pear. He also announced he is only luke warm on [name]Juno[/name]. The only names he likes are [name]Indie[/name] (his fave) and [name]Zinnia[/name] (my fave) and [name]Etta[/name]. I like [name]Indie[/name] but worried it is not feminine enough next to sister [name]Lila[/name] (leelah). Opinions?

I thought you were going to go with [name]Azure[/name]? It suits [name]Lila[/name] and Miro so much better. I don’t find [name]Indie[/name] has the same feel as your other children’s names. It sounds like a nickname and too informal to my ears. [name]Indie[/name] reminds me of the car race [name]Indy[/name] 500 so it’s not very feminine in my opinion. [name]Lila[/name] is so pretty that I think her sister deserves an equally beautiful name too! [name]Azure[/name] has the same exotic vibe as [name]Lila[/name] and Miro. The final decision ultimately rests with you and your husband. Best wishes!

@mischa- yes we had considered [name]Azure[/name]. I was really pushing [name]Azure[/name] as I felt it went well w our kids names and I liked that it started w an A and contained a Z. DH thought it over and said he didn’t feel comfortable saying the name and it was overly complicated. It is still on our longer list. I am ok w letting [name]Azure[/name] go as I like [name]Zinnia[/name] and [name]Indie[/name] just as much. I also had to let [name]Opal[/name] and [name]Esme[/name] go.

I think [name]Indie[/name] is really cute for a girl, but I think only as a nn. Especially with [name]Lila[/name] and Miro–[name]Indira[/name], [name]India[/name]…But I love [name]Zinnia[/name]!