Period Berry: Questions and Support

NameBerry is a wonderful community for support on wrongly tabood topics (mental health, lgbtq, Ect). This is a poll for period questions and answers, no matter what gender identity you are!

13 Likes

this is a really good idea! I really don’t understand the stigma behind periods though, there definitely still is one, sadly

I have a question - to the people who use tampons, was it ever like “scary”? I’m genuinely scared of tampons but I’m a swimmer so I don’t exactly have a way out. I used to skip practice when I was on my period until corona started but yeah. If you were to compare tampons to pads, how would you do that?

3 Likes

so i have only used tampons a couple of times but i was terrified. im quite squeamish about my body as well so it was quite a big thing.
it was fine though, it wasn’t too uncomfortable and i cold just forget about it and swim.

i still am not brave enough to use them often though so i got some period swimmers, which are fantastic! you can get swimming costumes too but i just got period bikini bottoms and they work perfectly and just look like normal bikini bottoms.

the tampon thing for me is still a work in progress :joy:

4 Likes

Using tampons was scary but not anymore! [name_m]Just[/name_m] keep using them until you get used to it. [name_f]My[/name_f] mums says that periods shouldn’t stop you form doing anything

Is anyone else’s periods super irregular? Like mine just turns up whenever it likes.

2 Likes

Tampons do seem very daunting at first! I was very nervous, and I preferred to use tampons with applicators since it was alot easier in my opinion. I have to say, I find them alot more comfortable than pads, and I much prefer them! I’m pretty much converted now :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

mine are irregular, most of the time they come around every 3 weeks, but I can’t know when my period’s gonna show up. It’s kinda frustrating, I can’t be prepared beforehand at all

3 Likes

Thats the most annoying thing is not being able to prepare. I think its come on time once

1 Like

exactly. I’ve just stopped wearing white just in case

1 Like

yes, definitely!! my advice (blurring in case you don’t want advice!) is to practice at home when you’re not under any time pressure–that way, you don’t feel extra stressed on top of the nervousness you already have. try to get the smallest tampons (and definitely make sure they have the applicator!). and practice when you actually have your period, otherwise it might hurt a little bit. (it shouldn’t hurt at all if you’re using the right size and are on your period, but it might feel a bit uncomfortable until you get used to it). it definitely took me a while to get comfy though–you’re not alone in that! i actually still prefer pads, but i’m totally fine using tampons when i need to now, and you’ll get there too :yellow_heart: good luck!!

3 Likes

Mine is! I started like 6 months ago, and randomly PMS and have spotting. I takes a while to even out, and also stress and other factors mess with it.

It might even out, and change later with hormones. It’s perfectly okay to have a hot mess of a period schedule

1 Like

It was at first. I think that I was given the wrong size to start off with.

I was 12 when I first tried and couldn’t fit them properly until I was 16. [name_m]Even[/name_m] now, I can only use the “light” kind, which not all stores have. The bigger kinds simply don’t fit me for some reason.

I don’t even have mine every month. It’s more like every 2-3 months and always on a random day.
Sometimes, I just stop having mine altogether. When I was trapped in my house for 4 months last year, I had none at all. I keep hearing that it could be a sign of a health problem, but I really don’t care. I hate periods, and I’m happy if I don’t have one.

[name_f]My[/name_f] sister still thinks that tampons are “nasty”… whatever that means.
I normally wear pads because I have trouble putting tampons in, but I prefer tampons.
When I wear pads, I constantly feel like I had an accident in my pants and have to sit in my own filth.
Tell me again how that’s less “nasty” than using a tampon?
And my mom says I’m the immature one. :roll_eyes:

Okay, I have a question now. Does anybody else feel pain when they remove (not insert) their tampon? It’s the main reason that I don’t use them often.

One more question. I’m thinking of buying a cup, and the size chart says that those over 18 need a size 1. But seeing as I can only fit the smallest tampons, should I buy a size 0?

5 Likes

Mine always comes at the end of the month and I’m just like “Not again. Didn’t I have this last month.” but also it took mine two and a half years to get on a regular schedule.

1 Like

Yay! I love talking about periods!

I used tampons the first day I got my period! I’m a dancer, so I didn’t have much of a choice. I was older though, (15) so I felt really ready. Here’s my advice:

Use a mirror to see what’s going on down there. Try to relax, because it will go in easier. Make sure you put it up far enough (don’t worry, it won’t get lost!)

Mine was when I started, but it’s evened out since then! I would highly recommend getting an app to track it if you don’t already! I use Clue and it works really well for me!

4 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] question: Has anyone used a menstrual cup? What was your experience like? I’ve done so much research and think I am ready to try!

1 Like

I have and it’s honestly a life changer! I did it to be more environmentally friendly but it’s also just so much easier! It might take a cycle or 2 to get the hang of it, but now I can leave it in all day and not have to worry about changing it every few hours.

3 Likes

I’ve never used one, but they seem quite messy to me. And if I were to use them at work, for example, I’d have to clean them at the sink in our public bathroom :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

7 Likes

from what I’ve heard, I think the time is 12 hours max, flow doesn’t matter. But I do agree, they sound very messy to me

2 Likes

no, definitely not! start off with light (the smallest) tampons then you can work your way up to wearing bigger ones
you can ask someone to show you how to do it (you basically just insert it and press it down) or you can watch a video on it.
I do remember being anxious about it at first, and it was difficult to insert it correctly, but you get used to it and you get used to the feeling of it being there. tampons are 10x better than pads so I for sure recommend them

2 Likes

That’s what I thought too, but it’s not an issue because you can keep them in the whole work day :slight_smile: They don’t fill up all the way even if I have them in all day, and I typically have to change tampons every 2-3 hours when I have a heavy flow. They honestly haven’t been messy for me, at the end of the day, you take it out, dump it in the toilet, and do a quick rinse in the sink with water and that’s it.

4 Likes

I have!
I will say, it has a steeper learning curve than a tampon. It is also much wider/bigger than a tampon (which is why you have to fold it when you insert, then release to let it pop open inside)

it might suit people who don’t have time to use the restroom as often - as you can leave it in for 12 hours, unlike a tampon.

However, when you do change it it can get messy and often very awkward. ive had a few emergencies where I had to change it at school - but you are in a squished bathroom stall, you have to take the bloody thing out without spilling it, and dump it. The worst thing is you must wash it before putting it back in, and in order to do that you must walk out of your stall with a bloody cup in your hands then wash it in the sink. Often there are people using other sinks around you so that can get VERY awkward. The best place to change it would probably be in the shower in your own house - as you can just pop it out without worrying about spills, turn on the shower to rinse it, then pop it back in.

Good luck to anyone learning to use one!

this is very true if you have a relatively regular flow! However, I am one of those who unfortunately has a very, very heavy flow and I’ve had times where the entire cup only lasts me 3 hours. Just putting this out there!

1 Like