Pet Name Game - What would you choose?

NAME THIS [name]PET[/name]: A GAME

What name would you choose for an English [name]Springer[/name] Spaniel? Provided is a picture of an adult for your reference.

1. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7e/English_springer_spaniel_2005.jpg

My only stipulations are 1) the name must be of English origin, and 2) it must be for a male dog.

Thanks for playing!

[name]Briggs[/name]

Thanks, p_i. [name]Briggs[/name] is cute!

Here are some I came up with - [name]Barclay[/name], [name]Chauncey[/name], [name]Geoffrey[/name], [name]Humphrey[/name], [name]Kingsley[/name], [name]Perry[/name], [name]Ramsay[/name], [name]Seeley[/name], [name]Sully[/name], and [name]Wesley[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you think any of those fit?

[name]Hi[/name]! I love [name]Barclay[/name] (cute Bark theme), [name]Chauncey[/name] (I actually knew a doggie named [name]Chauncey[/name]), [name]Humphrey[/name], and [name]Wesley[/name] for your puppy. I know a lot of people feel differently, but I love people names on dogs, especially offbeat ones. ([name]Just[/name] don’t choose one that’s similar to any of the baby names you love!)

More you may like:

[name]Baxter[/name]
[name]Brewster[/name]
[name]Chadwick[/name]
[name]Clifford[/name]
[name]Ernest[/name]
[name]Garfield[/name] (I have a dry sense of humor, so I love a cat’s name on a dog) :slight_smile:
[name]Redford[/name]
[name]Reginald[/name] (someone I know had the cutest Shih Tzu named [name]Reginald[/name])
[name]Sheldon[/name] (clunky names on dogs crack me up)
[name]Sherman[/name] (I know of doggie siblings named [name]Reginald[/name] and [name]Sherman[/name])
[name]Stanley[/name] (one of my favorites on dogs…A friend of mine had a sheepdog named [name]Stanley[/name], nn [name]Stan[/name])
[name]Willard[/name]
[name]Winslow[/name]
[name]Winston[/name]

Good luck with your doggie! :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name]! I love [name]Barclay[/name] (cute Bark theme), [name]Chauncey[/name] (I actually knew a doggie named [name]Chauncey[/name]), [name]Humphrey[/name], and [name]Wesley[/name] for your puppy. I know a lot of people feel differently, but I love people names on dogs, especially offbeat ones. ([name]Just[/name] don’t choose one that’s similar to any of the baby names you love!)

More you may like:

[name]Baxter[/name]
[name]Brewster[/name]
[name]Chadwick[/name]
[name]Clifford[/name]
[name]Ernest[/name]
[name]Garfield[/name] (I have a dry sense of humor, so I love a cat’s name on a dog) :slight_smile:
[name]Redford[/name]
[name]Reginald[/name] (someone I know had the cutest Shih Tzu named [name]Reginald[/name])
[name]Sheldon[/name] (clunky names on dogs crack me up)
[name]Sherman[/name] (I know of doggie siblings named [name]Reginald[/name] and [name]Sherman[/name])
[name]Stanley[/name] (one of my favorites on dogs…A friend of mine had a sheepdog named [name]Stanley[/name], nn [name]Stan[/name])
[name]Willard[/name]
[name]Winslow[/name]
[name]Winston[/name]

Good luck with your doggie! :-)[/quote]

Well, I don’t have a doggy - of this variety - yet, but I think I’m totally in love! I saw that [name]Oprah[/name] got two for her birthday, and they are just the cutest! But, I’ve got two Bernese Mountain Dogs (well, my mother does) named [name]Cooper[/name] and [name]Findlay[/name], so I’ll have to hold off for awhile…

Loving [name]Chadwick[/name], [name]Winslow[/name], and [name]Winston[/name] off your list, [name]Jill[/name]! Great suggestions! I’m kind of a surname-y girl for dog names, but I’m open to suggestions. I also like to try to connect kennel names to call names, but that can be way more challenging (e.g., Something’s The [name]Sun[/name] [name]King[/name], called [name]Louis[/name] - [name]Louie[/name] OR Something’s Waltzing [name]Matilda[/name], called [name]Banjo[/name] - after “[name]Banjo[/name]” [name]Paterson[/name], who wrote the poem).

I also think [name]Byron[/name] and [name]Conrad[/name] are adorable dog names! Thoughts?

[name]How[/name] cute!

I love the suggestion of [name]Brewster[/name]!

[name]Archibald[/name] nn [name]Archie[/name]
[name]Aubrey[/name]
[name]Buckley[/name]
[name]Busby[/name]
[name]Berkeley[/name]
[name]Cooper[/name]
[name]Montgomery[/name]
[name]Norman[/name]

Bingley (always thought it would be great name for a dog)
[name]Rowley[/name]
[name]Bolton[/name]
[name]Darwin[/name]
Batley
[name]Ripley[/name]
Jarrow
Grimsby
[name]Corby[/name]
[name]Ramsey[/name]
[name]Upton[/name]
Barrow
[name]Boston[/name]
[name]Langley[/name]
Tadley
[name]Alton[/name]
[name]Aston[/name]
Netley
[name]Raleigh[/name]
[name]Redding[/name]
[name]Dalton[/name]
Astor
Wembley
[name]Cedric[/name]

The dog in the first picture is, in my opinion, most definitely a [name]Wilbur[/name]! (I adore this breed.)

I think [name]Archie[/name] works, too :slight_smile:

disa_lan, [name]Archie[/name] has always been one of my favorites. Thanks for reminding me!

bb, so many great suggestions! These are my favorites:

Bingley
[name]Darwin[/name]
[name]Ripley[/name]
[name]Ramsey[/name]
[name]Raleigh[/name]
[name]Cedric[/name]

And, twinkle, [name]Wilbur[/name] is adorable, but it reminds me of a pig…

I’m also liking [name]Baldwin[/name], [name]Brighton[/name], [name]Franklin[/name], [name]Tobin[/name], [name]Watson[/name], and [name]Winston[/name]!

I think [name]Watson[/name] is cute, very [name]Sherlock[/name] [name]Holmes[/name].

[name]Barkley[/name] or [name]Baxter[/name]…WDYT?

I like [name]Elden[/name], [name]Fletcher[/name], and [name]Roscoe[/name]. :slight_smile:

These are all so great! Thank you! And, [name]Roscoe[/name] is rather handsome, yes?

I’m loving [name]Winston[/name], but would it be weird to name a dog of a different breed “The English Bulldog” - for his registered name - and call him [name]Winston[/name]? As in [name]Winston[/name] [name]Churchill[/name]'s nickname? :slight_smile:

Well, personally, I wouldn’t use [name]Watson[/name], not that I don’t like [name]Doctor[/name] [name]Watson[/name] or [name]Sherlock[/name] [name]Holmes[/name] - I actually positively [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] him - but to some people it would be awkward. . . . I don’t know. Naming a dog after a FANTASTIC fiction creation wouldn’t entirely be my thing. [name]Don[/name]'t let that stop you, though! I’m just stating my opinion.

Sorry. :slight_smile: !!

This is my second post, I know. Er . . . yeah. . . . Sorry. Um.

Well, what about these names?:

[name]Colby[/name]
[name]Jameson[/name]
[name]Bryson[/name]
[name]Charlie[/name]
[name]Clay[/name]
[name]Drake[/name]
[name]Gray[/name]
[name]Hayden[/name]
[name]Jagger[/name]
[name]King[/name]
[name]Mason[/name]
[name]Reed[/name]
[name]Sawyer[/name]
[name]Wade[/name]
[name]Tyler[/name]
[name]Jex[/name]
[name]Poe[/name]
[name]Birch[/name]
[name]Crew[/name]
[name]Usher[/name]
[name]Julian[/name]
[name]Lewis[/name]
[name]Hugh[/name]

Thanks! Good luck! I love springer spaniels! :slight_smile: !!

Ha! It’s okay, [name]Niki[/name]!

So, you’re not a fan of naming pets after literary characters? That’s what I got from your post about [name]Watson[/name]. I prefer [name]Winston[/name], anyway, as [name]Watson[/name] tends to remind me of watts.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Charlie[/name], [name]Sawyer[/name], [name]Poe[/name], and [name]Lewis[/name] (though I prefer [name]Louis[/name] “[name]Louie[/name]”). Thanks!

Well, personally, I wouldn’t use [name]Watson[/name], not that I don’t like [name]Doctor[/name] [name]Watson[/name] or [name]Sherlock[/name] [name]Holmes[/name] - I actually positively [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] him - but to some people it would be awkward. . . . I don’t know. Naming a dog after a FANTASTIC fiction creation wouldn’t entirely be my thing. [name]Don[/name]'t let that stop you, though! I’m just stating my opinion.

Sorry. :slight_smile: !![/quote]

I think when naming pets anything goes but that’s just my personal opinion. I had a cat named [name]Ajax[/name] so as you can see I draw names from everywhere. Sometimes I’m drawn to silly names for pets too, names that have character even if the name was a character. To each his/her own.

Actually [name]Watson[/name] isn’t my top favorite. I think there are some fantastic suggestions here. As much as I love the name [name]Winston[/name] and think that it’s perfect, I do hear it quite frequently at the dog park.
Of course I’ve heard people calling out my daughters name at the dog park when they are actually calling out to their pooch :confused:

Sorry. :slight_smile: !![/quote]

I think when naming pets anything goes but that’s just my personal opinion. I had a cat named [name]Ajax[/name] so as you can see I draw names from everywhere. Sometimes I’m drawn to silly names for pets too, names that have character even if the name was a character. To each his/her own.

Actually [name]Watson[/name] isn’t my top favorite. I think there are some fantastic suggestions here. As much as I love the name [name]Winston[/name] and think that it’s perfect, I do hear it quite frequently at the dog park.
Of course I’ve heard people calling out my daughters name at the dog park when they are actually calling out to their pooch :/[/quote:i4p5762x]

Yeah - I know what you mean. I like to draw names from landmarks, history, and literature, personally! That’s why I’m drawn to something like [name]Byron[/name] (She Walks in Beauty), [name]Darwin[/name] (On the Origin of Species), and [name]Conrad[/name] (Heart of Darkness), because you don’t hear them very often, they sound quirky and distinguished, and I think they could work on a [name]Springer[/name]…

You have a pet pooch named [name]Lola[/name], right? And daughters [name]Mia[/name] and … something else with four letters ending in A … what is it … [name]AH[/name]! I’m drawing a total blank…

Yeah - I know what you mean. I like to draw names from landmarks, history, and literature, personally! That’s why I’m drawn to something like [name]Byron[/name] (She Walks in Beauty), [name]Darwin[/name] (On the Origin of Species), and [name]Conrad[/name] (Heart of Darkness), because you don’t hear them very often, they sound quirky and distinguished, and I think they could work on a [name]Springer[/name]…

You have a pet pooch named [name]Lola[/name], right? And daughters [name]Mia[/name] and … something else with four letters ending in A … what is it … [name]AH[/name]! I’m drawing a total blank…

I’d love to be brave enough to use names I love with historical or mythological associations on an actual child but I’m not. My other daughters name is [name]Kira[/name]. So we’re [name]Lisa[/name] (me), [name]Kira[/name], [name]Mia[/name], and [name]Lola[/name] very matchy with the “a” ending. Of course my favorite name for a girl right now is [name]Lydia[/name], unintentionally continuing with the “a” trend. [name]Lara[/name] was at the top of the list but there I go with 4 letters ending in “a” again :confused: .
I am now a firm believer in picking names for sib sets even if you only plan on having one child. We were certain [name]Kira[/name] would be an only child. Of course she started kindergarten and well we changed our mind and along came [name]Mia[/name]. [name]Mia[/name]'s name was almost [name]Samantha[/name] but I changed my mind just a few weeks before she was born.

I think the [name]Springer[/name] has a sweet face, full of personality. I’ve actually found some well named pooches at the dog park. It is definitely a new and off beat place for inspiration.

[name]Kira[/name], that’s right! Cute!

My favorite girl’s name is also [name]Lydia[/name]! I love its simple elegance and exquisite melody. I’ve got other, braver favorites, but I’m pretty content with the classics for the most part - [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Genevieve[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name], [name]Margaret[/name], [name]Catherine[/name], [name]Cecily[/name], [name]Jane[/name], and the list goes on…

I think [name]Springer[/name] Spaniels are so sweet, yet they have a distinguished, serious look about them that I’m really attracted to. But, because I’m still a college student, my hope of getting one won’t become a reality for a bit. I tried, with no success, to convince my mom to get another puppy over [name]Christmas[/name]. We even found the perfect little guy - but, alas, no pup for the holidays! I take pet naming very seriously, but I’ve only gotten to name one of our dogs thus far…

When I was a baby, my parents had Beechwood, a [name]Golden[/name] Retriever. He was aptly named for our street - how creative.

Then, when I was eight and living in [name]England[/name], we got our first Bernese Mountain Dog. My parents decided to name him after a Belgian beer, Hoegaarden. We called him Hogie, and we lost him in 2007 to a neurodegenerative disease.

When we got back from [name]England[/name] when I was eleven, we got another Bernese. Again, my parents decided to continue the beer trend, and named him after a Czech beer, Budvar. We called him, most creatively, [name]Buddy[/name] or [name]Bud[/name]. We lost him in 2007 as well, to an aggressive and rare cancer.

Two years ago, we rescued our third Bernese. Again, much to my chagrin, my parents decided to continue the beer trend. Because our dog was born in Australia, they chose an Australian beer, [name]Cooper[/name]. We call him Coopsy-Coo - a pet psychic told my mom he likes it! Ha! Anyway, I think his name is rather boring, and it really bothers me.

Finally, we got our fourth Bernese - my baby, who will be turning two in [name]March[/name]! Anyway, this time, I put my foot down and chose a name well before we picked him up. But, my family couldn’t pick a name and we ended up calling him “[name]Baby[/name]” for about two weeks. Finally, we named him [name]Findlay[/name], after a farmers’ market - [name]Findlay[/name] Market - in our city. He is [name]Fin[/name], [name]Fin[/name]-[name]Fin[/name], Finny, or Finnis, though my dad calls him [name]Phineas[/name] on occasion, too.

For this puppy I wanted to get over [name]Christmas[/name], I chose [name]Sawyer[/name] as his name, not immediately realizing that [name]Fin[/name] and [name]Sawyer[/name] is just like [name]Huckleberry[/name] [name]Finn[/name] and [name]Tom[/name] [name]Sawyer[/name]. I chose [name]Sawyer[/name] after a special riverfront park in my city, [name]Sawyer[/name] Point - I have fond memories of that place as a child.

I know [name]Findlay[/name] isn’t the most creative name, but it is significant to us, and he just IS the name! Okay, so there you have the entire history of my pet names, well the dogs at least. [name]Way[/name] more than you needed to know!

Anyway, now that it is officially February, I am wishing you the best of luck in your TTC efforts! Goodnight :slight_smile: