Pet name ramifications

We have a lot of animals: Three dogs, six official cats, a few come-and-go cats, a tortoise, two donkeys… I’ve spent lots of time deliberating the perfect name for each of these little buddies, and my pet name preference leans strongly to human.

I’m kind of amused, kind of chagrined after realizing our meticulously-named menagerie is starting to limit the naming pool for my future grandbabies, assuming my kids rule out names of “childhood pets.”

A furry [name_m]Dimitri[/name_m] and reptilian [name_f]Stella[/name_f] means no squishy baby [name_m]Dimitri[/name_m] or [name_f]Stella[/name_f] (or [name_m]Ivan[/name_m], [name_m]Axel[/name_m], [name_f]Natasha[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f], [name_m]Geoffrey[/name_m], [name_f]Sonia[/name_f], and Bianca).

I doubt I’ll start naming animals things like Sparky or Chowder, but there’s some appeal to the idea now. Because someday one of my kids might say, “Well, we like [name_m]Gerard[/name_m], but we had this guinea pig…” :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I don’t have kids, but I’ve considered this issue, I want to name my pets names I like without ruling out future kid names. But I’m probably going to get two cats when I move out of my parents’ house, and that’ll probably be years before I have any children.

So what do I name the cats that I would never name the children?

1 Like

It’s funny because while my indoor pets have more human names, the strays that come to my house I tend to give more pet names to

The names I love for pets tend to be different than the ones I think about for future kids, so I’m not worried at all about fearing I can’t use a name I’ve already used on my pet

I will say I love « human » names for pets too! One thing I love is you can fully talk about them as if they’re a roommate and joke with people who don’t realize you’re talking about an animal not a human! Example - “So Dave got stuck behind the fridge again last night”

3 Likes