Philippa or Philomena?

Berries, please help my husband and I weigh the pros and cons of [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] and [name_f]Philomena[/name_f]. With all the names on our list these are the ones we keep going back to and I feel like in this case it’s one or the other. If I name my daughter [name_f]Philomena[/name_f] and have another daughter in the future [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] will be too similar to use, and vice versa.

As for middle name we are throwing ideas around but [name_f]Tulip[/name_f] is particularly special because it honors my Dutch heritage (I was named after the Dutch queen [name_u]Juli[/name_u]@na as per my grandfather’s request). However, [name_f]Tulip[/name_f] is not set in stone and at this moment we would prefer feedback just on the two first name options and maybe a few other middle name suggestions leaning towards a botanical/nature side.

Thanks a million,
[name_u]Jules[/name_u]

I like both names but somehow I like the [name_f]Mena[/name_f] nn option but don’t love the [name_m]Philo[/name_m] part of [name_f]Philomena[/name_f]. [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] is a smart but happy name, [name_f]Philomena[/name_f] is dustier and more arty and eccentric. As for middle names, what about:

[name_u]Holland[/name_u] (I love as a first too)
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_m]Farley[/name_m]
[name_u]Sage[/name_u]
[name_f]Saffron[/name_f]
[name_f]Plum[/name_f]
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]

[name_f]Philippa[/name_f] is my favourite! I love the sweet, liveliness it has about it, while also sounding classic and serious
I really want to like [name_f]Philomena[/name_f] too, but there’s something about the spelling that puts me off

I love the graceful sound of [name_f]Philomena[/name_f]!

[name_f]Philippa[/name_f] is very sweet, and it has some lovely nickname options - [name_f]Pippa[/name_f], [name_f]Poppy[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Polly[/name_f], [name_f]Posy[/name_f]. [name_f]Philomena[/name_f] is too out there for me.
I also wanted to say that I love [name_f]Tulip[/name_f] but I’m biased because it’s my daughter’s middle name, [name_f]Frida[/name_f] [name_f]Tulip[/name_f]. :grinning:

I adore [name_f]Philomena[/name_f]. I think it’s darling and unique and [name_f]Philomena[/name_f] [name_f]Tulip[/name_f] is stunning.

I personally would probably pick [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] because I love its springy energy (and nn option [name_f]Pippa[/name_f]), but [name_f]Philomena[/name_f] is also really pleasant. They’re both great options, though I would probably not use [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] with [name_f]Tulip[/name_f] because I don’t like the repeated “lip lip” sounds there.

I agree with this completely.

I’m torn… I really like both! I think I slightly like [name_f]Philomena[/name_f] overall but prefer [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] with your set. [name_f]Philomena[/name_f] [name_f]Tulip[/name_f] is a fabulous combo (I know you didn’t want feedback but I adore it!).

[name_f]Philomena[/name_f] sounds a little… “off”, and I can’t put my finger on why.
[name_f]Philippa[/name_f] is such a sweet and happy name, but also serious and smart. It is a name that will suit a girl from her early years to adulthood. I absolutely adore the nickname [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] for [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] as well.

[name_f]Philippa[/name_f] [name_f]Tulip[/name_f] is lovely!

I like [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] better. I agree that there’s just something off about [name_f]Philomena[/name_f].

Middle name suggestions:
Jannetje
Trijntje
Maritje
[name_f]Veerle[/name_f]
[name_f]Merel[/name_f] (Dutch for blackbird)

I prefer [name_f]Philomena[/name_f]
[name_f]Philomena[/name_f] [name_f]Tulip[/name_f] sounds sweet.
[name_f]Philippa[/name_f] [name_f]Tulip[/name_f] doesn’t have the same flow

I prefer [name_f]Philomena[/name_f], it’s very elegant.

I really like [name_f]Philomena[/name_f].

Berries, I have to thank you all for once again being so great in your feedback. Hasn’t been enough for us to make a decision in one way or another yet, though. Please keep the comments coming!

Both are such lovely names! [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] is a favorite of mine and I love the nickname [name_f]Pippa[/name_f], but if you choose the middle name you are considering, I think [name_f]Philomena[/name_f] [name_f]Tulip[/name_f] sounds better.

I saw someone else recommend the mn [name_u]Holland[/name_u], and if you liked that I would say [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] [name_u]Holland[/name_u] has a very nice ring to it.

I probably slightly prefer [name_f]Philomena[/name_f] over [name_f]Phillipa[/name_f] but generally prefer [name_f]Phillipa[/name_f]‘s nicknames ([name_m]Pip[/name_m] over [name_f]Mena[/name_f], for instance). That said, I think [name_m]Pim[/name_m] as a nn for [name_f]Philomena[/name_f] is wonderful, and I like [name_f]Effie[/name_f] for either.
I disagree with others who find [name_f]Philomena[/name_f] too ‘out there’: I think it makes a great bridge between Larkspur and her siblings’ more familiar names. It feels gently Irish or Scottish to me.

For middles, I just wanted to mention [name_f]Madelief[/name_f] and Marjolein as names that might incorporate your heritage.

Most definitely [name_f]Philippa[/name_f].

I love [name_f]Philomena[/name_f]! She sounds more eccentric and arty, as a previous poster said - a free spirit hunting for treasures in a [name_m]French[/name_m] brocante. [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] sounds more straightforward and practical and (either because of the clipped British feel, or the meaning) passionately horsey.

That’s just my interpretation, though - others’ imagery might be different. :slight_smile: [name_f]Tulip[/name_f] is a gorgeous middle name in either case!

I’d choose [name_f]Philomena[/name_f]. It’s pretty and interesting. [name_f]Phillipa[/name_f] [name_f]Tulip[/name_f] is very repetative and doesn’t have a good flow.