Phoebe Marigold vs Phoebe Iris

See the results of this poll: Which middle for Phoebe?

Respondents: 71 (This poll is closed)

• Phoebe Marigold : 34 (48%)
  • Phoebe Iris: 37 (52%)

I think with such meaning behind both names that you can’t really go wrong. I like [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name], I think it flows better. For some reason, [name]Phoebe[/name] seems like a hefty name and paired with [name]Marigold[/name] it gets long, but with [name]Iris[/name] I think it has a more whimsical feel.

This was a tricky one! With [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name] I’d go with [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name] since I think they fit better stylistically, but on their own… [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Marigold[/name] seems so spunky and original, while [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name] seems a bit more traditional and classy. I vote for [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Marigold[/name], because I think she fits your style better, [name]Lemon[/name]! It’s been a while since I saw you on NB, welcome back:D

I really love [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name]! I think it’s a great match to [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name]. I love the significance of [name]Marigold[/name], but [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name] fits much better as a combo to me, and I really love the idea of [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name] and [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name].

Good luck!

Thank you for your feedback, ladies, and your welcome, @svea - I’ve taken a forum break, but I’ve been on private message.

So, this is a bit of a conundrum. I’m sensing that the majority, if not all, of you think [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name] is more stylistically similar to [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name]. Because [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name] feels so modern and playful to me, I’m inclined to think that [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Marigold[/name] matches her style just as well as [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name], but [name]Marigold[/name] has much more kick than either [name]Wren[/name] or [name]Iris[/name], which have a certain simple elegance to them that I love. [name]Marigold[/name] is a lot of name, and [name]Phoebe[/name] has so much personality on her own, I often wonder if she needs [name]Marigold[/name] to stand out. [name]Eliza[/name] is more of a staid classic and thus benefits from wordy [name]Wren[/name] in the middle, I think, but [name]Phoebe[/name]? She’s sort of in a class on her own. Thus, I’m left in a bit of a pickle…

Things get even more complicated when I bring in a potential third name: [name]Gwendolen[/name]. I think [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name], and [name]Gwendolen[/name] are a really cool vintage set, but middle names get tricky! [name]Eliza[/name] is [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name], plain and simple. If I went with [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name], I couldn’t use [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Iris[/name] (which admittedly has less personality than [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name]), and [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Marigold[/name] is just too much. My other option was [name]Briar[/name], but something about [name]Iris[/name] and [name]Briar[/name] feels off. I could sub in [name]Rose[/name] for [name]Briar[/name], for my birth flower, but is [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Rose[/name] to blase next to [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name] and [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name]? Perhaps not with [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name], but [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name] seems completely strange to me there. I think [name]Rue[/name] is gorgeous despite it’s sad meaning, but I’ve also toyed with [name]Roux[/name]. Then I find myself straying from these meaningful combinations that I’ve captured in [name]Wren[/name], [name]Iris[/name], and [name]Marigold[/name]! Hm.

Help?!

[name]Lemon[/name]

[name]Roux[/name] is like sauce or gravy to me. [name]Rue[/name] is prettier, and is a botanical name as well, which thematically ties to [name]Iris[/name]/[name]Marigold[/name] better for me than [name]Roux[/name] does. However, [name]Rue[/name] is very close to [name]Wren[/name] for sound.

I’m going to pitch in for [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Marigold[/name]. [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name] is classic but it doesn’t have the perkiness [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name] does. [name]Wren[/name] is not a terribly staid or traditional middle name. [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name] and [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Marigold[/name] sound whimsical yet matched, and not by-the-numbers. Also I think [name]Iris[/name] is going to be becoming more popular which [name]Marigold[/name] will remain a rarely-heard gem.

[name]Gwendolen[/name]'s main problem is length. I like it, don’t get me wrong. But I think if you go [name]Gwendolen[/name] you need a very airy middle name to soften it. And a lot of the more interesting forms of [name]Rose[/name] are also long. I just feel like [name]Gwendolen[/name] is very “heavy” next to the equally historic but lighter/softer [name]Eliza[/name] and [name]Phoebe[/name], which btw I really like together.

If your birth-flower is [name]Rose[/name], does that mean your birthstone is [name]Pearl[/name]? ([name]June[/name], in the system I’m used to…) Because [name]Pearl[/name] is as short and easily managed as [name]Rose[/name] as a middle name but less heard. And [name]Wren[/name], [name]Marigold[/name], and [name]Pearl[/name] has a bit of animal/vegetable/mineral going on but in a really soft, cute way.

I agree that [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Marigold[/name] would be a bit much, but I really love [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Rose[/name]. I don’t find it boring at all, I think it’s gorgeous. [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name] and [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Rose[/name] would be nothing less than perfection [name]IMO[/name]. I like @stripedsocks suggestion of [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] as well and I appreciate the theme mentioned a lot, but I think I fell in love with [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Rose[/name] actually. You’d make sure to have a fourth daughter as to use [name]Marigold[/name] as well, ha;)

I want to thank you both for continuing to contribute to this conversation with me - such good thoughts!

@stripedsocks

If I were to use one, I’d just get over it and use [name]Rue[/name]. But, then again, [name]Rue[/name] has no real meaning to me, and although I love the sound, it’s close to [name]Wren[/name]. Which segues nicely into [name]Rose[/name], but let’s hold off on that. You mentioned [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name] not being as perky as [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name], perhaps being more expected, and I concur wholeheartedly. But, more so, [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name] isn’t near as perky as [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Marigold[/name], which makes me wonder if [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Marigold[/name] is too perky. Because, as I said before, [name]Phoebe[/name] in and of itself is a perky, playful, yet somehow still proper, name. It just is - that’s [name]Phoebe[/name] to me in three words. [name]Eliza[/name], well, she’s proper for sure, a bit perky with that cut-off ending and flashy Z-sound, but she’s not quite playful. [name]Wren[/name] adds that playfulness and personality back in, whereas I wonder if [name]Marigold[/name] zaps some of [name]Phoebe[/name]'s charm right away by being a distraction. Then again, I worry that [name]Iris[/name] dulls [name]Phoebe[/name]'s zest. So, with that being said, lets tackle [name]Gwendolen[/name]. [name]Gwendolen[/name] needs something short, or, as you say, airy to partner it - I agree. To I think [name]Gwendolen[/name] is heavy? Well, I suppose the D in there keeps it grounded, but to me, [name]Gwendolen[/name] is no [name]Gertrude[/name] or [name]Helga[/name]. She’s not even really a [name]Margaret[/name]. [name]Gwen[/name] is so full of life that I wonder how [name]Gwendolen[/name] can’t feel somewhat ethereal and alive, unburdened by extra syllables and strong consonants. She’s strong to me, and sophisticated, and maybe even a little bit sultry, suave. But, I do see what you’re saying. I like to think [name]Rose[/name] sweetens [name]Gwendolen[/name], but I’m so not one for sweet. And, you’re right, the more interesting [name]Rose[/name] forms are too long to pair with [name]Gwendolen[/name] - my picks are firstly [name]Rosanna[/name] and then [name]Rosaline[/name]. I was thinking about [name]Rose[/name] and came to see it as a family name, particularly the name of my grandma’s ([name]Irene[/name]) only sister, [name]Rose[/name]. Never met her, but boy was she a powerful influence in my grandma’s life. I’m not saying that this means I should use [name]Rose[/name], because it doesn’t - but that did occur to me today. And, of course, you are correct in assuming my birth stone is [name]Pearl[/name] - I’m a [name]June[/name] baby! - and [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] certainly has a charm to it. I do worry it’s too charming, though, and charm and sweetness aren’t really my cup of tea. I love your description of animal-vegetable-mineral. Very cool, very me. But, [name]Pearl[/name] I’m not sure is very me. Speaking of birth stones, my mom’s is the emerald, and I’ve played with [name]Esme[/name] as a tribute to that - because [name]Emerald[/name] feels tacky to me. I love the ethereal quality of [name]Esme[/name] and it’s round, lush sound, but I’ve struggled to pair it with anything. I originally had it with [name]Charlotte[/name], but then [name]Charlotte[/name] was nixed in favor of [name]Gwendolen[/name], which is really more of a stand-out name, to me, than even [name]Phoebe[/name]. But, [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Esme[/name]? It’s visually pleasing, but I can’t quite say about the spoken melody. I’m really having a tough time here!

@svea

So you’re in love with [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Rose[/name]. I can certainly see why, I can. But, as addressed above, the sweetness worries me, of [name]Rose[/name] that is - [name]Gwendolen[/name] is the furthest thing from sweet in my mind. I don’t feel comfortable using [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name] with [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name] and [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Rose[/name], as I think [name]Wren[/name] sticks out. In a bad way. I don’t know if I’ll ever get over that no matter what you all tell me!

So, here’s the deal - I’m still feeling confused. On the one hand, @stripedsocks seems to be saying [name]Gwendolen[/name] isn’t right, and maybe it isn’t. If you like [name]Eliza[/name] and [name]Phoebe[/name] together, and question [name]Gwendolen[/name], what would you put there? But even that doesn’t solve the original dilemma. Maybe neither [name]Iris[/name] nor [name]Marigold[/name] are right with [name]Phoebe[/name]! I have to own up to the fact that I haven’t even brought up my favorite nature name of all time - well, my favorite plant name, because [name]Wren[/name] probably is my favorite nature name. [name]Juniper[/name]. It’s [name]Juniper[/name]! I love the earthy vibe and jaunty flair of the name, and it’s got this cool - both stylistically and, oddly, in temperature - thing going on that matches my perception of [name]Wren[/name]. It’s neat that I’m a [name]June[/name] baby and [name]Juniper[/name] clearly has [name]June[/name] in it, too, but really I just love the name. I haven’t found something to pair it with. I think I had it with [name]Phoebe[/name] once, and now I can’t remember why I said goodbye - the melodies between [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] and [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Marigold[/name] are nearly identical to my ear. [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name], and [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Iris[/name]? Talk to me, ladies, please talk to me…

[name]Lemon[/name]

I think [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Marigold[/name] has a warm feel about it that [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name] does not. [name]Marigold[/name] is a joyous playful name and you get lovely happy vibes from it, whereas [name]Iris[/name] is matter of fact, sharp and to the point without a whimsical flavour like [name]Marigold[/name]. I like a bit of whimsy in a combo and [name]Marigold[/name] has a much more feminine, love me vibe too.

I think [name]Irena[/name] over [name]Irene[/name] has possibilities as it is soft and feminine but I much prefer [name]Phoebe[/name] she is a girl with plenty of class and style.

lemon I say go with the whimsy and what is obviously your first love [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Marigold[/name].

rollo

Thanks for your thoughts, @rollo - always appreciated. And, you’re right, I like that playful, whimsical flair in a name, a little zest to an otherwise vintage classic combination. It’s very much me. I’m just really struggling on whether or not [name]Marigold[/name] is the right whimsical word to fit into that spot…

[name]Lemon[/name]

lemon isn’t it satisfying to identify the thing that you need in a name combo? In your case it is whimsy so now it is a case of finding the name to suit.

If you remember when my daughter was looking for combos for her daughter she had [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Bluebell[/name] on her list, it appealed to her so much because of that whimsical flavour, but as you know she went with [name]Xanthe[/name] [name]Paige[/name] which had a different vibe altogether so who knows what path we will tread when it comes right down to the wire. I have to say either [name]Imogen[/name] or [name]Xanthe[/name] would have made a great fit with this cute, spunky and gorgeous child who is turning two on [name]Saturday[/name].
rollo

Oh [name]Lemon[/name]… I don’t even know which to vote for. I think alot of it depends on the flow of the last name. I love your two middle name options though… Miss [name]Penelope[/name] and Miss [name]Fiona[/name] do too :slight_smile:

Ok… going to vote for [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Marigold[/name]. It’s just a slight preference I have when I keep saying the names over and over. I like [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Iris[/name]. I think [name]Iris[/name] lightens her up! Other options for [name]Gwendolen[/name] - We’re we discussing [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Bluebell[/name] at one point? (to go with [name]Mirabelle[/name] [name]Daisy[/name]) - [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Daisy[/name]?

[name]Gwendolen[/name]…
[name]Bay[/name]
[name]June[/name]/[name]Juno[/name]/[name]Juniper[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Clare[/name]
[name]Poppy[/name]

crunchymama I like [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Bluebell[/name]!!

@rollo

I do remember your daughter considering [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Bluebell[/name] - I loved it! What spunk! I can’t believe it’s been nearly two years since [name]Xanthe[/name]'s arrival. I trust all is well with her and her big sister?

@crunchymama

I responded to @svea and @stripedsocks regarding my feeling that potentially neither [name]Marigold[/name] nor [name]Iris[/name] are right for [name]Phoebe[/name]. I prefer the whimsy and zest of [name]Marigold[/name] to [name]Iris[/name] with [name]Phoebe[/name], but with your [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Marigold[/name], [name]Fiona[/name] is a little more ladylike than [name]Phoebe[/name] and seems to anchor [name]Marigold[/name] better - or I’m nuts. Could be both! You said you like [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Iris[/name], and I do too. I don’t know if we discussed [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Bluebell[/name], but we did discuss [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Blue[/name]! I like [name]Bay[/name], you know, but I don’t know if it’s right - it’s a little too cool-as-a-cucumber, if you will. But, I’m obsessed with [name]Juniper[/name] and [name]Juno[/name], as you know. They are incredible. [name]Do[/name] you remember when I played with [name]Juno[/name]? Was that for [name]Gwendolen[/name] or [name]Charlotte[/name]? Clearly, with [name]Phoebe[/name], it’s too mythological, but do you remember talking about [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name]? Why did I nix that? I really like it! [name]Juniper[/name] is my favorite nature-plant name and I adore it with [name]Wren[/name]…

[name]Lemon[/name]

Thanks lemon I was sure that you would remember, and yes big sister [name]Chloe[/name] is doing well, she is gentle and quiet and [name]Xanthe[/name] is a michievous, busy little monkey.

PS I will tell my daughter that you loved [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Bluebell[/name] it will make her day!

@rollo

Am I remembering correctly that Miss [name]Xanthe[/name] had some health scares early on? I’m so glad to hear she is a happy and healthy toddler! And, yes, do tell [name]Jacquelyn[/name] that I loved [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Bluebell[/name] - it was so fresh and playful, just my kind of name! But, ultimately, [name]Xanthe[/name] [name]Paige[/name] seems like such a perfect fit for her little monkey and a great match to [name]Chloe[/name] [name]Skye[/name]…

So, you like [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Bluebell[/name], huh? What are your thoughts on [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Iris[/name] and [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name]?

[name]Lemon[/name]

Thanks so much for remembering my family history, having a long term connection with you via nameberry and having you remember my family details so well means a lot to me. And yes, [name]Xanthe[/name] was a sick little girl for a long time and didn’t thrive due to her health issues, so now we are all over the moon to see her so well. I think that [name]Xanthe[/name] [name]Paige[/name] is her to a ‘t’ and I think you can sense that too by my description of her.

And yes [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Bluebell[/name] gets big ticks from me, although because I love ‘lyn’ endings (see my daughter’s name) I lean towards [name]Gwendolyn[/name] but that is just a small detail and personal preference. In regard to [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] this is a combo that has lots of energy and seems so right for a girl born in today’s world. [name]Juniper[/name] is fresh, naturey and makes a good match with [name]Phoebe[/name].

I guess that [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Iris[/name] is okay, it is just a little lack lustre for my taste, although I have good memories of a woman named [name]Iris[/name] who always had a happy smile, so I am not sure why I am not in love with [name]Iris[/name]. Maybe [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Orla[/name] would tick more boxes for me.
What about [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Freya[/name]? I think she has lots of whimsy and feels very connected to [name]Gwendolen[/name] and [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Blythe[/name] ticks lots of boxes too.

All the best,

rollo

Edited for privacy.

Well, [name]Lemon[/name], I like [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] a lot, but I actually prefer [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name], sorry! I also like [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Iris[/name] a lot too though- gives [name]Gwendolen[/name] a bit more edge I think. I totally see your dilemma! So many beautiful names to choose between :smiley: Right now, I’d say my favourite combos would be [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Marigold[/name]/[name]Juniper[/name] and [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Iris[/name]. :slight_smile:

@rollo

I’m really happy to hear that [name]Xanthe[/name] is thriving now as a toddler! Congratulations to you and yours! I don’t think [name]Bluebell[/name] is right for me - I tend to struggle with [name]Bell[/name] names, anyway, so that should have been my first sign. I’m happy to hear your endorsement of [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] as an energetic name, because that’s how I see it, too. But, it’s a different energy than [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Marigold[/name], maybe a little less sweet and a little more modern? I like both, but I love the name [name]Juniper[/name]. I do see where you’re coming from with [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Iris[/name] being a little lack luster, as it is a bit more reserved and vintage. However, although your suggestions, particularly [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Freya[/name], are gorgeous, I want a name that means something to me, you know? Like [name]Wren[/name] and [name]Iris[/name] and [name]Marigold[/name] and [name]Juniper[/name]/[name]Juno[/name]/[name]June[/name] do, and [name]Esme[/name] or [name]May[/name] or something like that.

@saracita00

I think [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Rosanna[/name] came up somewhere at some point, because it is a combination of two of my favorites. To me, [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] is just a little long! Especially with [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name]. I know - picky - but it’s just how I see it. I do want quirky, whimsical, and playful, as you say, but I also want elegant and strong. I think all of these names capture that! What about [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Juno[/name]?

@svea

I think I really like [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name]! It just feels more me, you know? I get that you love [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name] and I sincerely appreciate that, as the combination holds a lot of meaning for me - I was very close to my Grandma [name]Irene[/name] - but I don’t know that it’s as me as some of the others. It could be, though! I can’t decide! Thank you for saying that [name]Gwendolen[/name] has an edge, because I definitely see that, too, and I was struggling to put it into words. She’s romantic and chic, but somewhat bold. [name]Phoebe[/name] is too playful to be so edgy, and [name]Eliza[/name] is too prim, perhaps. [name]Iris[/name] just sits better to me with [name]Gwendolen[/name], but again, that could change!

So, I think I like the idea of [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name], and [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Iris[/name]. But, [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Rosanna[/name] is really quite lovely. With that, [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Iris[/name] still works, but I could perk [name]Gwendolen[/name] up as [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Juno[/name]. [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name], and [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Juno[/name]? Would it be odd that [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name] lacks a mythological middle name? Eh, probably not. I’m just not seeing [name]May[/name] or [name]Esme[/name] for my mom working in these combinations - [name]May[/name] is too sweet, [name]Esme[/name] doesn’t sound right. Any more ideas or thoughts, ladies?

[name]Lemon[/name]