Phoebe Marigold vs Phoebe Iris

[name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] and [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Iris[/name] works very well as a set:) Prefer [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] over [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Rosanna[/name], but that’s just because [name]Rosanna[/name] isn’t my favourite [name]Rose[/name] name. [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Juno[/name] is very nice as well! [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Iris[/name] or [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Juno[/name]… Think I like [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Iris[/name] a bit more. Ha, turns out I have a very soft spot for [name]Iris[/name]:smiley: I don’t think it’d be odd at all that [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name] would be the only one without a mythological name, if you were to go with [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Juno[/name]. I really really love [name]May[/name], and [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]May[/name] would be absolutely lovely. I can totally see that it’d be too sweet for you though! I don’t have any good suggestions I’m afraid, but I’d like to add that no matter which middle names you pick, [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name], and [name]Gwendolen[/name] would make an awesome sibset. :slight_smile:

@svea

Thanks for the feedback! See, I really like [name]Rosanna[/name] as a first name, but it’s an alternate, similar to the likes of [name]Charlotte[/name], for me. I love it, but not as much as [name]Eliza[/name], certainly, or [name]Phoebe[/name] or [name]Gwendolen[/name]. It’s cool for me to think of it as a middle name, but seeing as it is so much more name-like than [name]Wren[/name], I’m not sure it’s the perfect fit for me. I’m not totally comfortable with it, but I like it, if that makes sense…

You sure do have a soft spot for [name]Iris[/name]! But, that’s alright, because I do, too. I love the image it conveys, don’t you? So soft and ethereal and elegant, but still very strong. I think it’s much more suited to [name]Gwendolen[/name] than [name]Phoebe[/name], though, as it adds some softness to [name]Gwendolen[/name]'s somewhat harsher exterior. So, I’m inclined to go toward [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name], and [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Iris[/name]. (But, the idea of [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name], and [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Juno[/name] is appealing, too! I love those four-letter energetic names - my favorite boy combination is [name]Archer[/name] [name]Milo[/name].)

I’m glad you think [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name], and [name]Gwendolen[/name] go together well, too. [name]Liza[/name], [name]Bee[/name], and [name]Gwen[/name] just seem right in my mind. I can’t really describe it any other way. But, I really think I’m leaning toward [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name], and [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Iris[/name] - they seem right in my head, too.

[name]Lemon[/name]

Great choices! [name]Archer[/name] [name]Milo[/name] is perfect with your girl combos. And I completely agree about [name]Iris[/name]! :slight_smile:

Edited for privacy.

Thanks, @svea!

And, @saracita00, I know about the phoebe bird, but how many other people do? That’s why I worry about using more of a classic combination like [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Rosanna[/name], considering many view [name]Phoebe[/name] as a vintage name (and indeed she is rather vintage). Hm. It’s so funny that you hate junipers because I’m not fond of marigolds, yet I considered the name. I see your point about some junipers, but others are just lovely, as are juniper berries used in cooking. I think the blue berries are neat, a bit. And, apparently the juniper is a symbol of longevity, strength, athleticism, and fertility? That combined with its perfect Ju sounds makes it good enough for me. I’m glad that even though it’s your least favorite, you can see the jaunty appeal of the name.

Speaking of themes, I’ve never been inspired nature wise with boy names. [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name], or [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Iris[/name] with something like [name]Archer[/name] [name]Milo[/name]? Less theme-y, right? Good?

[name]Lemon[/name]

Edited for privacy.

Interesting perspective as always, @saracita00! I view [name]Archer[/name] as this almost-vintage 1880s or 1920s type of name, a la [name]Newland[/name] [name]Archer[/name] in The Age of Innocence - [name]Archer[/name] gives off this debonaire chap sort of vibe to me, but I totally love it’s modern, surname appeal as well. [name]Milo[/name], to me, is more of a modern playful boys’ name, but then again it’s staunched in history and 1900s charm as well!

(As a side note, [name]Archer[/name] is a tribute to my dad, a Sagittarius, and [name]Milo[/name] is a spin on the family surname.)

Thanks!

[name]Lemon[/name]

PS [name]How[/name] do you pronounce [name]Junia[/name]?

Edited for privacy.

Okay, thanks for the input, @saracita00. I wonder if [name]Junia[/name] is too hard to pronounce. It doesn’t exactly roll of the tongue, does it? Hm. Something to consider…

I’ve been meaning to ask you - what are your kiddos’ names? If you don’t mind sharing, that is!

[name]Lemon[/name]

I think [name]Junia[/name] is cute, did I pick the wrong pronunciation? I like it better than [name]Juno[/name], [name]June[/name] and [name]Juniper[/name], but on the other hand I guess it does sound a bit like a glorified version of [name]June[/name]. Still, it would be a sweet mn and I kind of like more “complicated” sounding names as long as they don’t get too tedious to say.

My children are [name]Caspian[/name] [name]Jonathan[/name], Zephan [name]James[/name] [name]Myron[/name], and [name]Eve[/name] [name]Anastasia[/name]. (Zephan is a contraction of [name]Zephaniah[/name], prn it like that only stop before the “iah”).

The baby due this week will probably be [name]Peregrine[/name] unless when we meet him it totally doesn’t fit! [name]Haven[/name]'t totally decided on the middles, I’m less thrilled with the options for this little guy because DH simply has his heart set on using [name]Donald[/name] for his family. I think it’s ugly but he’s wanted to use it forever and I don’t have the heart to say no again. I get to pick another mn to go before it if I want to and that’s nice, it just ends up being a whole lotta name. I’d put a 1-syllable name in there but it’s hard finding anything appealing with the other names. But yes anyway there they are, thanks for asking :smiley:

@saracita00

No! You didn’t pick the wrong pronunciation - I was genuinely trying to see how most people pronounce it. I say it like you, with three syllables, but some say [[name]JUNE[/name]-ya], which ends up sounding like an accented version of [name]Junior[/name]. Yuck! [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Junia[/name]. [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name]? [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Junia[/name], and [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Iris[/name] is quite romantic and striking, though. I may need to play with this name! (It’s less theme-y, which although I love [name]Juniper[/name], it might be better to stray from the overt theme.)

Cool names you’ve chosen, miss! I love the intermix of interesting and exotic with classic, and how you reversed it a bit for [name]Eve[/name]'s name. (Which is so romantic and girly but strong - divine!) Have you considered using a [name]Donald[/name] variant instead of [name]Donald[/name]? Something like even the Irish [name]Donal[/name] feels much more appropriate and modern, and you might also use the Ukrainian [name]Bohdan[/name] or something that sounds similar like [name]Donnelly[/name]! [name]Peregrine[/name] [name]Donal[/name] is amazing, and if you add a classic name in there like [name]Peregrine[/name] [name]Jacob[/name] [name]Donal[/name], [name]Peregrine[/name] [name]Joseph[/name] [name]Donal[/name], or [name]Peregrine[/name] [name]Donal[/name] [name]Jude[/name] - I chose J’s to match [name]Jonathan[/name] and [name]James[/name]! - you could have a winning combination. [name]Peregrine[/name] [name]Donnelly[/name] [name]Jude[/name] is really handsome, too, or [name]Peregrine[/name] [name]Donnelly[/name] [name]Joel[/name].

What will you use if not [name]Peregrine[/name]? ([name]Caspian[/name], Zephan, and [name]Peregrine[/name] are cool brothers. [name]Do[/name] your boys use nicknames?) I sort of like [name]Artigan[/name] for you…

[name]Lemon[/name]

I actually really like both, but slightly prefer [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Iris[/name]. You can’t go wrong with either, though :slight_smile:

Thanks, @lucykate219 - what do you think of [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Junia[/name] or [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name]? I’m playing with other options now… :wink:

[name]Lemon[/name]

ROFL…oh lemon, you have noooooo idea. I have tried to talk the man into a variation, ANY variation, even anything with [name]Don[/name] IN it; FIL’s birth place, hey I’d even take his favorite color! DH simply does not see anything other than the full-and-intact name as a legit “naming after” his dad. I’m the one who cares about “name flow” it’s up to me to make everything work, so you can see it’s tricky. You offered some really great-sounding combinations there. I did consider [name]Peregrine[/name] [name]Joseph[/name] [name]Donald[/name] (with the final D) for a bit but it fell by the wayside to combos with other family names [name]William[/name], [name]Jack[/name] and [name]Wesley[/name], so it’s interesting to see you suggest that one.

Now if he’s not a [name]Peregrine[/name] when I meet him then I guess there will be much panic going over the original long lists, but after 9 months with this kid I’m pretty sure. I’m just nervous about definitively announcing a name before I actually meet a child, and always have a last-moment bit of panic before the baby is born wondering if the name we have in mind will fit. The name we were on before we settled on [name]Peregrine[/name] was [name]Quillan[/name] [name]Wesley[/name] [name]Donald[/name], which was a truly nice combination and was DH’s favorite. I never loved it though, [name]Quillan[/name] doesn’t have the personality and history I was looking for; and as a follow-up to Zephan I felt like we were just taking weird alphabet letters and adding “an” to it. Besides the fact that I kept hearing “quill and” every time I said it. In the end, I’d rather have a first name that I love and compromise on the middles, even if the whole combination maybe isn’t quite as designer-sounding.

[name]Peregrine[/name] has so many nn options it makes our eyes cross, LOL. I think the extended family is going to settle on [name]Pippin[/name] – if they don’t keep [name]Quigley[/name]. Odd story, as a joke I decided to call the baby Wiggly [name]Quigley[/name] because he kicks so much, and it stuck. I even had family telling me to put it on the birth certificate which really sent me on a wild goose chase for awhile, and was most of the reason I kept [name]Quillan[/name] [name]Wesley[/name] in consideration as that seemed to make the most sense of [name]Quigley[/name]. But I finally decided [name]Quigley[/name] could just be a pet name and moved on. The other kids have pet names that are totally unrelated to their given names and it’s fine. And then when I started worrying about “which short for [name]Peregrine[/name]” I realized half the family is going to call him [name]Quigley[/name] anyway and gave it up. The best nicknames are serendipitous anyway.

Oh, back on [name]Junia[/name], ew, you’re right I hadn’t considered the “junior” thing. That’s really, really icky. I may have to rescind my approval. Yech. I saw on your other thread that someone suggested [name]Juna[/name], I think that might be a good solution: [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juna[/name]. It’s spunky, a little bit classic, a little bit nature, and unexpected. I think it “feels” the most like [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Wren[/name] of any of the [name]Phoebe[/name] combinations you’ve considered. Although I have to admit that [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] IS starting to grow on me a bit now.

Oh, Lordy! I guess sticking [name]Donald[/name] in the back a la [name]Peregrine[/name] [name]Joseph[/name] [name]Donald[/name] does minimize the name, huh? Hm…

For what it’s worth, I think [name]Quillan[/name] is cool, but I adore [name]Peregrine[/name]! You’ve got a great name sense so I’m sure you’ll choose a stunner.

Back to me - does [name]Juna[/name] at all look made up to you? It doesn’t have the same history that [name]Junia[/name] does. Maybe I just need to research it because it seems [name]Junia[/name] won’t work even though it’s pretty to look at. It really sounds awkward.

Did you read today’s blog?! So many fab names!

Edited for privacy.

So I just read this blog post on Name [name]Candy[/name] about celebrity baby [name]Juna[/name] [name]Meredith[/name] [name]Anderson[/name], born in 2011, and it includes the reasoning behind her name. They describe it as a shortening of the male [name]Indian[/name] god Arjuna, who apparently was a strong person and accomplished archer (always a nice link to my dad!). I thought they said the name means bright or white, but I’m not sure. It’s a cool story and made me appreciate [name]Juna[/name] more. Google it and see what you think of the story if you get a chance!

And, [name]Juno[/name] will never look non-legit to me. You can’t take seven years of classic Latin and Greek like me and ever consider that! Ha. I also am a sucker for a cool -o ending, but perhaps [name]Milo[/name] is all I need!

Edited for privacy.

@saracita00 - You’re so right about the movie connection. That slipped my mind. Hm. And, yes, I’ll admit that [name]Juno[/name] could easily be mistaken as a plant name or a created name or whatever, anything but the mythological name it is. Perhaps alternate form [name]Hera[/name] feels more like a “goddess” name?

I just have to say that I’m really digging the [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Juniper[/name] combination. I [name]LOVE[/name] both names but I never really found combinations that I felt sounded just right. But the two of them together just seem,in my opinion, to fit. They both have that sweet but spunky feeling. You have me crushing on that name now…