Phoebe vs. Rosa vs. Margaret

Which of these three is your favorite?

Phoebe [name_f]Iris[/name_f] - I love this and the pet name “[name_f]Bee[/name_f]”, but last name ends with an “ee” sound too. It’s longish, but a little annoying to me.
[name_f]Rosa[/name_f] [name_f]Irene[/name_f] - I love this one. First name is after a personal hero and second name is honor name. Only problem is I hate the color pink, and [name_f]Rosa[/name_f] means pink in Spanish, which I’m fluent in and hope she will be too. On the bright side, it is a Spanish name.
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Athena[/name_f] “[name_f]Greta[/name_f]” - I love this combo and the nickname [name_f]Greta[/name_f], but I’m not in love with [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], but I’m okay with it. It’s a family name, and honors my sister, but we would call her Geta 99% of the time. Is that too much of a hassle? I don’t think [name_f]Greta[/name_f] [name_f]Athena[/name_f] flows as well, and if we did name her that, there’s no real honor name in the combo, so if we did this, we would use [name_f]Margaret[/name_f].

Rosa [name_f]Irene[/name_f] seems to have thr least doubts surrounding it and i love [name_f]Rosa[/name_f]! I so rarely hear it!!

1 Like

I like [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Iris[/name_f] the best of all 3.

I actually would like [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Irene[/name_f] better!

Phoebe [name_f]Iris[/name_f] is so pretty!

I really love [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Athena[/name_f]! I don’t think calling her ‘[name_f]Greta[/name_f]’ all the time is an issue – it’s a natural nickname. There are plenty of Margarets who have gone exclusively a nickname (such as [name_f]Meg[/name_f] or [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] or even [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]), so I think it’s perfect!

I definitely think [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosa[/name_f] [name_f]Irene[/name_f] are both pretty, too. You really can’t go wrong! But I still vote for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Athena[/name_f] – it’s stunning.

I’ve never seen [name_f]Greta[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], maybe it’s just here in Australia that it’s not. [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] would get shortened to [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] here when she’s at school. [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] is a cool name, [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Athena[/name_f] is a good combo, very Ancient Greek!

Margaret is my favorite! I’d like [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] more than [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Iris[/name_f].

Phoebe would get my vote however if you love [name_f]Rosa[/name_f] more then go for it. If you don’t love [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] I wouldn’t use it.

Wow! [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Athena[/name_f] is sooo beautiful! I love it! It is beautiful, traditional, unique and powerful. [name_f]Greta[/name_f] is a fantastic nickname. However, if you’re not sure about [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], have you thought about [name_f]Gretchen[/name_f], [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f], [name_f]Margery[/name_f], [name_f]Margarida[/name_f]/Margarita, [name_f]Margot[/name_f], [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]?

When I see [name_f]Rosa[/name_f] I also think about the color pink, but I always associate [name_f]Rosa[/name_f] with the color red because of the flower. I feel like [name_f]Rosa[/name_f] is not the perfect name for you, but have you considered [name_f]Rosalia[/name_f], [name_f]Rosana[/name_f] or [name_u]Rosario[/name_u]?

Phoebe [name_f]Iris[/name_f] is a beautiful combo. I like it!

Phoebe [name_f]Iris[/name_f]

Love [name_f]Rosa[/name_f]! [name_f]Rosa[/name_f] [name_f]Irene[/name_f] is lovely.

If you love [name_f]Greta[/name_f] but aren’t sure on [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], I would skip the formal name. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if the flow isn’t great with middle name [name_f]Athena[/name_f], surely that’s preferable to using a first name you don’t love? I think the connection to [name_f]Greta[/name_f] is strong enough, but it’s up to you to decide if it’s an adequate honour, of course.

How about mixing up the middle for [name_f]Greta[/name_f]? [name_f]Greta[/name_f] [name_f]Irene[/name_f], [name_f]Greta[/name_f] [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], [name_f]Greta[/name_f] [name_f]Athene[/name_f] (ah-thee-nee), [name_f]Greta[/name_f] [name_f]Iris[/name_f]… [name_m]Even[/name_m] [name_f]Greta[/name_f] [name_u]Artemis[/name_u], maybe?

I love [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Iris[/name_f] but you seem the most drawn to [name_f]Rosa[/name_f] [name_f]Irene[/name_f]. They’re all beautiful!

Margaret [name_f]Athena[/name_f] is my favorite. [name_f]Greta[/name_f] is so cute and it would be very natural to call her that all the time, I think.

[name_f]Rosa[/name_f] [name_f]Irene[/name_f] seems like your favorite. I have more of an association with roses, which can be many colors than with pink. Also I may be mistaken but isn’t pink in Spanish rosado?
[name_f]Greta[/name_f] seems to be your second favorite, would you consider another full name like [name_f]Gretel[/name_f] or [name_f]Gretchen[/name_f]? It would be a bit of a stretch but you could also shorten the Spanish name Graciela to Greta.
Phoebe is also lovely it just seems like you don’t like it quite as much.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Rosa[/name_f] [name_f]Irene[/name_f]! The connection to [name_f]Rosa[/name_f] [name_m]Parks[/name_m] is also great!

Have you considered [name_f]Greta[/name_f] with a different middle? I think [name_f]Greta[/name_f] [name_f]Irene[/name_f] sounds nice and I’m not a huge fan of choosing a first name you’re not in love with just because you want the nickname (though obviously it’s all up to you & whatever works best in your opinion), so I encourage you to play around with other variations - like another poster said [name_f]Gretchen[/name_f] is another great option or [name_f]Gretel[/name_f] could work too.

But I’ll rank my favs of the options you shared on first names alone & combos.

1. Margaret
  2. Phoebe (love [name_f]Bee[/name_f] as a pet name - so cute!)
  3. Rosa (not a personal favorite)

Combos

1. Phoebe [name_f]Iris[/name_f] ([name_u]Love[/name_u] this one, both [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] & [name_f]Iris[/name_f] are great names and I like the flow of this)
  2. Margaret [name_f]Athena[/name_f] (I love [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], but not a huge fan of the flow or the name [name_f]Athena[/name_f])
  3. Rosa [name_f]Irene[/name_f] ([name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Irene[/name_f] and it flows okay, but not personally a huge fan of [name_f]Rosa[/name_f])

Some other combos you might consider

• Gretchen [name_f]Iris[/name_f]
  • Phoebe [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
  • Gretel [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
  • Margot [name_f]Athena[/name_f]

Hope this helps!

[name_f]Rosa[/name_f] [name_f]Irene[/name_f] is not only my personal favorite, but I think it suits your situation best as well!

Rosa [name_f]Irene[/name_f] is a good combo, has a good flow and both names are simple yet feminine, with [name_f]Rosa[/name_f] giving an exotic touch while [name_f]Irene[/name_f] adds more of a classy vintage vibe, to me. You might hate pink but if it’s the same as Italian “[name_f]Rosa[/name_f]” not only means pink but it also indicates the flower rose, and it’s a beautiful meaning!
So [name_f]Rosa[/name_f] [name_f]Irene[/name_f] gets first place.
At second place we have [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_f]Iris[/name_f]. Great combo, pretty names, elegant.
I don’t see anything wrong with it and it gets second place only because you look a bit concerned about the ee ending surname.
Third place [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Athena[/name_f]. Taken singularly they are good names, I prefer [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], elegant and traditional, [name_f]Athena[/name_f] is a bit out there. I just think the combo doesn’t flow. The names are super different, they don’t work together and [name_f]Greta[/name_f] [name_f]Athena[/name_f] works even less.
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Athena[/name_f] is still acceptable but [name_f]Greta[/name_f] [name_f]Athena[/name_f] gets a nope from me.

I’m not 100% sure if rosado has the same meaning in Spanish and Portuguese, but in Portuguese rosado means “pinkish”, “rosy” or “pinky”.