Phyllis?????

Close your eyes. Think about it seriously for five seconds. Ten if you’re as cynical as me.

I was reading something about [name]Phillis[/name] Wheatley then started to think about the name…I know it sounds a bit dorky right now but will it for the next generation? I do like names like [name]Mabel[/name] and [name]Frederick[/name], but is this one just no where near redeemable?
I think it might make a nice middle name (or even second MN). I’m nowhere near totally in love with it nor brave enough to use it as a first…but what do you think? I do love the [name]Phillis[/name] Wheatley connection (great namesake!) and I think it actually has a sound similiar to [name]Lilly[/name]…

Personally I actually prefer [name]Patience[/name] but I was just wondering what everyone else thought. And I just think there should be at least one forum for [name]Phyllis[/name]. Have a good evening! :slight_smile:

I’m sorry, but I think [name]Phyllis[/name] is just one of those non-reedemable names! Maybe [name]Phoebe[/name] or [name]Penelope[/name] instead?

I actually really like [name]Phyllis[/name]

I think [name]Phyllis[/name] is still pretty undesirable… I do really like [name]Phyllida[/name], though.

i know a 13 year-old with this middle name and phylline is nice to :slight_smile:

You know [name]Phyllis[/name] is the name of the smart, sexy vixenish character on the soap opera The [name]Young[/name] and The Restless? That character changed my whole image of that name. I guess I’m one of the few that finds [name]Phyllis[/name] offbeat and charming as a name.

I have an Aunt [name]Phyllis[/name] and I actually like her name!

I know of a few [name]Phyllis[/name] ladies and it is a nice name.It would be a brave and quirky choice at the moment.It’s in the same league as [name]Lois[/name] to me but I prefer the unpretentious and naturey ‘phyllis’.

No. I know several nice old ladies with the name, but this is not a good name for this day and age. I like a lot of the older names, but this is one I definitely don’t care to see revived.

[name]Phyllis[/name] has one of my favorite meanings for a name: “green bough”. I’m not really sure why it’s such an unloved name. I like it.

All I think of is the frumpy character from the Office… on the plus side, she’s funny!

I think I like the name [name]Phyllis[/name]. I doesn’t jump out and grab you, but as a middle name I think it would be refreshing and retro. [name]Phyllida[/name] is nice too.

I’m one of the not-very-young-anymore posters (late 30s) and [name]Phyllis[/name] was an “old lady” name even when I was a kid. Not a mom name, but when I was little, maybe old was younger than I think it is now… er… Anyway, I’d lump it in with names like [name]Louise[/name], actually. We had a neighbor named [name]Louise[/name] when I was a kid that makes me feel like that is around the same age as a [name]Phyllis[/name], and yet we are embracing [name]Louise[/name] now. I don’t see why not [name]Phyllis[/name].

At least 10 years ago if not a few more, I worked one summer with a young [name]Phyllis[/name] in her 20s. She was so cool. I never worked closely enough in her dept. to ask her about her name, nor have I typically been comfortable enough to do so. I kind of like that pre-hipster don’t-care-about-trends name that she had, working alongside [name]Nicoles[/name] and [name]Jens[/name] and Julies and Jessicas and Stephanies. I really think [name]Phyllis[/name] works and is not forever unusable. It might be too soon for your parents to embrace it, and obviously some of your peers who would love a little [name]Hazel[/name] or [name]Helen[/name] or [name]Louise[/name] just can’t dig [name]Phyllis[/name], but I feel like it should be. It’s a pretty little name. That said, I also like [name]Felicity[/name], so I really think [name]Phyllis[/name] has that sound appeal already in the atmosphere. I don’t really like [name]Felicia[/name], and not sure how people can bypass [name]Phyllis[/name] for, say, [name]Philippa[/name]… [name]Pippa[/name] might be cute, but I can’t figure out [name]Philippa[/name], it just sounds so awkward with that PAH sound, although I do like [name]Philip[/name]. I would definitely consider [name]Phyllis[/name]. It looks so organic, means foliage in Greek. It has similarities to other names that mean happiness, luck, and love, as well as sharing some similarities with names that are being revived, and names that are currently or recently popular (from [name]Felicity[/name] to [name]Melissa[/name], anything with an ISS), meanings that are significant and good and healthy, leafy and natural, that are appealing deep down. As we know, some names may sound ok, but have a really unsettling and offputting meaning to people who care about the whole package.

Side note: I am also and have been for a while, fond of [name]Doris[/name], which is another name people consider unrevivable. Back there on Appellation Mountain, the commenters consider [name]Doris[/name] not yet old enough to be appealing. I say who cares… sometimes :slight_smile: Like I said, I met a very nice and cool (when I say cool, I mean easygoing and funny and not at all dowdy or even introverted, not ultra-hip or dangerous to know!) young [name]Phyllis[/name]. I don’t know if her childhood with that name in this day and age was horrible, but she carried it well. Someone has to be the first. If you like a name a whole lot, it might be a decade or maybe more before [name]Phyllis[/name] is at least “hipster” cool, and by then if you still want to and are able to use it, it might seem a little like following the trend, letting others decide when its time has come.

I am in favor of this name, although I can understand a lot of people discouraging it on some ideal standard - while adoring other names I think arbitrarily or because others have convinced them. I bring up [name]Hazel[/name] again - it’s a mystery to me how [name]Hazel[/name] gets stamped as ok, but like, no celebrity has given permission to use [name]Phyllis[/name], so it’s still too far for some people to go.

I like it! I would even go ahead and use it as a first name. It has an elegance and poise to it not unlike [name]Lillian[/name]. I don’t think it’s dowdy at all. While it is obviously a name that has been used by older generations, I think of even an older [name]Phyllis[/name] as classy, well-dressed, and smelling like expensive perfume.

[name]Philly[/name] would be a cute nn on a little girl, and it’s a name that will definitely age well.

[name]How[/name] ironic, I have one grandma named [name]Phyllis[/name] and one named [name]Doris[/name], both 81 years old. So these will probably forever be old lady names to me, that I could never see on a little girl!

On the other hand, I also grew up with great aunts [name]Evelyn[/name] and [name]Ruby[/name], that were slightly older than my grandmas. They have both passed away, probably about 10 years ago. When I was younger, I could have never seen these names on a little girl…who could have predicted this old lady chic trend, really?

But unlike [name]Phyllis[/name] and [name]Doris[/name], now I like [name]Ruby[/name] and [name]Evelyn[/name], think they are pretty, and think less and less of an old lady the more I hear others on the board considering them for their babies.

So maybe it will be another 10 years before [name]Phyllis[/name] will be appealing again? Maybe you are ahead of your time with it? That’s all I can conclude, having grown up close to someone with the name.

I think [name]Phyllis[/name] will have it’s day again, but not quite yet. It hasn’t reached the 100 year / 4 generation rule yet as it was still popular into the 30s.

My own grandmother (who would have been 93 this year) was called [name]Phyllis[/name] and so, as I have yet to meet a little [name]Phyllis[/name], my perception is still “grandmother”. But this will change when I meet children with the name.

There are some things that make me like the name. [name]Phyllis[/name] in the Railway Children is a little sweetie. I was also struck when reading a love poem by the [name]Roman[/name] poet [name]Ovid[/name] which featured two beautiful young women named [name]Phyllis[/name] and Teia. It struck me that [name]Phyllis[/name] has just as much of a ancient/classical legacy as [name]Daphne[/name], [name]Chloe[/name], [name]Cassandra[/name] and [name]Selena[/name] etc