'Pick of the Day' names...

Not liking [name]Atara[/name]. I’m also surprised by the comment in the entry for [name]Atara[/name], after all the names they don’t think are becoming. Another site says it’s not pronounce like ah-TAR-ah (like Atari), but AT-uh-ruh. You kiddin’ me? I think that’s almost a brand of razor.

Sounds like Celery to me.

Funny you mentioned Atari, because [name]Atara[/name] definitely reminds me of Atari, the video game system of the 80s that existed before Nintendo. :slight_smile:

[name]Ellery[/name]: Celery. Nothing else.
[name]Beatrice[/name]: [name]Love[/name], love, love! I plan on using this or [name]Beatrix[/name] one day.
[name]Hudson[/name]: I like it, but it seems a little trendy.
[name]Atara[/name]: Atari.

Today’s name is [name]JADEN[/name].
I think the sound of this name is nice, but I would NEVER use it because it’s so popular. And to be honest, I’m tired of meeting little boys named [name]Jayden[/name]/[name]Jaden[/name]/[name]Jaydon[/name]/[name]Jadon[/name], et al.

[name]Jaden[/name] - I used to think it was cute. But I would have use it on a girl before a boy. But once hubby chose [name]Jade[/name] for our first iguana’s name, it killed any [name]Jade[/name] name for me.

[name]JADEN[/name]

When I was in seventh grade, my teacher named her daughter [name]Jaden[/name] [name]Rose[/name]. She then quit her teaching job to become a stay-at-home mom, or so I thought. A few years later, I was babysitting my neighbor’s children - three young boys named [name]Elijah[/name] [name]Jacob[/name] “[name]Jacob[/name],” [name]Jaden[/name] [name]Zachary[/name], and [name]Asher[/name] [name]Kevin[/name] - and cleaning up their house, when I came across a receipt from a door-to-door toy sales company. I went to put it with their other receipts when I noticed the name of the salesman (or here, saleswoman) at the top of the page. The salesperson was my teacher, the same one who had quit her job a few years back after having her daughter, [name]Jaden[/name].

So, that was my pointless [name]Jaden[/name] story. I think it is rather odd, and it was even weirder to me that both families had children named [name]Jaden[/name], a boy and a girl… :wink:

[name]Jaden[/name] - While I like [name]Jade[/name], and I like [name]Aidan[/name], I don’t like this name at all. Overall, anything that rhymes with [name]Aidan[/name] with a letter stuck on front reminds me of [name]Raiden[/name], a video game character, or apparently also an anime character. Having played a few games online, and participated in a number of forums, [name]Raiden[/name] is a popular choice of handle for young guys.

I also think it’s like [name]Jason[/name], but in moving "beyond ([name]Jennifer[/name] and) [name]Jason[/name], people just didn’t get very far. I prefer [name]Jacob[/name] in that sense. I dislike names that seem like a girls name with -en tacked on = boys name. [name]Karen[/name] is not the male form of [name]Kara[/name], [name]Ellen[/name] is not the male form of [name]Ella[/name], and so I also don’t understand a name like [name]Stellan[/name]; while [name]Aidan[/name] is a name I still like, [name]Jaden[/name] just seems more like [name]Jade[/name] to me, like one or the other just wasn’t “fancy” enough.

I understand [name]Jaden[/name], as described in the entry, is from [name]Jadon[/name], and [name]Stellan[/name] that I’ve mentioned is a name used in Scandinavian cultures, and unrelated to [name]Stella[/name], it all just seems too weird to ignore. [name]Aidan[/name], to me, is the source, the original, it’s still ok by me. I also like [name]Hayden[/name], it reminds me of [name]Craig[/name] T. [name]Nelson[/name] on “Coach,” so I take that as a friendly sort of older name that’s been used a lot more lately - probably not sourced from or inspired by the “Coach” tv show, but from its resemblance to [name]Aidan[/name] and -aden name family.

dont like it much. but i dont hate it.

[name]Jadon[/name] is way too popular for me. I know both boys and girls with this name and my neice has 2 in her class and my nephew has 1. I remember hating it when someone else in my class had the same name, so hopefully I will be able to come up with a unique name so my kid doesn’t have that issue.

Everyone is going to think I’m a little weird for saying this but…

I really like [name]Jayden[/name]. I know the proper spelling is [name]Jadon[/name] and it’s the mega-name that’s part of the super rhyme-y trend that most nameberryites loath but I just like it. I know two guys my age called [name]Jayden[/name] and heaps of Braydens/Bradens/Braidons in my year alone, so it’s never seemed like the ‘next big thing’ to me. They just sound familiar. I mean, hey I went out with a [name]Braden[/name] so it’s very hard for me to see it on a baby or little kid.

• [name]Charlie[/name]

[name]GAGE[/name]

Really? This is in the top 150? I guess I like more of the traditional boy’s names. Plus my [name]BIL[/name] named his dog [name]Gage[/name], so I can’t see this on a child.

Yeah, I know. [name]Gage[/name]. Abstractly it sounds vaguely namelike, but it’s like engage, or gauge, or cage or garage; age, rage… page, sage, gage? mostly GAG. And GAGA. And a prominent unfortunate teasing vector, ready-made. I feel sorry for this name that I dislike it so powerfully. Does anyone ever feel pity for a name itself, not just people who have the name? I feel like I hurt the name’s feelings.

My friend named her son [name]Gauge[/name]. She chose it because her name is [name]Elka[/name], and she was named that because her dad loved Elk hunting. She wanted to carry on the tradition and used [name]Gauge[/name] (as in a gun) for her son. I don’t really care for the name or the fact that he was named after a gun, but to each their own I guess.

I don’t know anyone named [name]Gage[/name], but my husband’s niece named her oldest son [name]Jacob[/name] Cage. Yes, Cage!!!

[name]Gage[/name]… Yeah, not a fan. It looks fine written down but then all the things it rhymes with and sounds like doesn’t make it appealing at all. I couldn’t imagine a boy having to go through his whole life named [name]Gage[/name].

• [name]Charlie[/name]

So, I have to post on this pick of the day! I do actually know a [name]Gage[/name] who is now 10. His parents are big horror movie buffs, so they decided that this was a great name for them. That is because [name]Gage[/name] [name]Creed[/name] is the name of the little boy in [name]Pet[/name] Sematary! You know, the one who dies tragically and then is brought back to life as a creepy murdering toddler!! And the little [name]Gage[/name] I know is a complete terror. When I hear this name all I can see is that scary demonic child character. Yikes!

Lost this thread for a bit there…

[name]VIENNA[/name]

Could be a pretty name with potential if we didn’t have a major beef and hot dog manufacturer with the name. [name]Vienna[/name] Beef anyone???

I really hate when I can’t like a perfectly nice name for stupid reasons. [name]Vienna[/name] sounds romantic, that song by [name]Billy[/name] [name]Joel[/name] is great, I think the city is probably fantastic. Unfortunately, I do think of [name]Vienna[/name] sausages; the word ‘wiener’ for hot dogs comes from [name]Vienna[/name] - the city is Wien (prn ‘veen’), and our translated ‘[name]Vienna[/name]’ is filtered through some language or other. [name]Austria[/name] in general makes me think of ballet for some reason, the [name]Blue[/name] [name]Danube[/name], I suppose, and also some elaborate cake similar to tiramisu (no idea). I think places that border the Alps associate randomly to me to types of cake because I’m crazy that way. So [name]Vienna[/name] isn’t all that bad, I guess, except no one will know what cake I’m talking about.

[name]Vienna[/name] is great, but here in [name]Texas[/name] we call them [name]Vienna[/name] sausages. I still love the name, but probably won’t use it.

I really hate when I can’t like a perfectly nice name for stupid reasons. [name]Vienna[/name] sounds romantic, that song by [name]Billy[/name] [name]Joel[/name] is great, I think the city is probably fantastic. Unfortunately, I do think of [name]Vienna[/name] sausages; the word ‘wiener’ for hot dogs comes from [name]Vienna[/name] - the city is Wien (prn ‘veen’), and our translated ‘[name]Vienna[/name]’ is filtered through some language or other. [name]Austria[/name] in general makes me think of ballet for some reason, the [name]Blue[/name] [name]Danube[/name], I suppose, and also some elaborate cake similar to tiramisu (no idea). I think places that border the Alps associate randomly to me to types of cake because I’m crazy that way. So [name]Vienna[/name] isn’t all that bad, I guess, except no one will know what cake I’m talking about.[/quote]

I know what cake you are talking about!!! Oooooo it is so good too! Now why did you have to go and get a pregnant woman craving cake!?!?! Lol!

[name]SAMSON[/name]

It’s just ok for me. It doesn’t really do anything for me - positive or negative.