Place Names

We’ve all met a [name]Georgia[/name], [name]India[/name], [name]Virginia[/name], [name]Adelaide[/name] or [name]Carolina[/name], and at least heard of a [name]Kingston[/name], [name]Paris[/name] or [name]London[/name] … but what about more unusual place names?

Some are almost (or completely) unheard of, and very beautiful … and so I decided to start this thread. I will update it with a new place name every couple of days, and feel free to discuss your own favourites or request a particular type of name (for example, perhaps you are looking for a boys’ name that will remind you of your time in [name]India[/name]).

So here is the first name :

Athesis - a possible alternative to the popular [name]Alexis[/name]? I would suggest this as a girls’ name, and think it has soft spunk, despite sounding a little like a dissertation!

Athesis is the Latin name, commonly used until only a couple of centures ago, of the Adige river, which winds around the cities of [name]Verona[/name] and Mantua in [name]Italy[/name]; the setting for [name]Shakespeare[/name]'s [name]Romeo[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name]. I like to think that this gives it a romantic quality!

And while we’re on the subject :

[name]Verona[/name] - a ladylike girls’ name, lent a romantic feel by its connection to the most famous lovers of all time, and also an elegant air by its Italian origins.

What do you think?

I think I quite like the name Athesis, the way you’ve described it! The “-is” ending gives it a lovely feminine sound, as well.

I’d like to add the name Tamesis for consideration as a girl’s name and possible alternative to [name]Tamsin[/name]. Tamesis is an old Latin name for the [name]Thames[/name] river.

– [name]Nephele[/name]

I think I’d prefer [name]Verona[/name] to Athesis because my brain sees atheist and I’d be afraid that I would accidentally call her that! [name]Verona[/name] is pretty, still has that romantic Shakespearean and Italian connection and seems familiar because of [name]Veronica[/name]. Maybe even could be considered a more efficient, less frilly version of [name]Veronica[/name]?

I just love this site! Great idea Twinkle

[name]Berlin[/name] is my daughters middle name. We were considering place names for a mn and this one wasn’t as popular as [name]Asia[/name] ect. The “lynn” sound at the end gives this imo “unisex” name a more feminine feel to it. We’ve been asked if we named her after the band [name]Berlin[/name], we did not. After my daughter was born I once met a girl with the first name [name]Berlin[/name]. I think [name]Beri[/name]/[name]Berri[/name] might make a cute nn.

My sisters friend just named her son [name]Boston[/name]. I was told her husband was a big [name]Boston[/name] [name]Red[/name] Sox fan. I wonder if he liked the band as well. Maybe he liked Chicago instead. :wink:

I think this is going to make a great thread and I can’t wait to read more! :slight_smile: