Plain Jane as a mn?

I know a veritable rash of people, aged in their 20s and 30s, with the middle name [name]Jane[/name] or [name]Jean[/name]. I know that a handful of these will be to honour a family member or out of genuine like for the name, but it has always seemed so very neutral to me? I sometimes get the impression that the parents had had enough trouble deciding on an (often not outrageous) first name, and simply plumped for [name]Jane[/name]/[name]Jean[/name] in the middle, as it goes with most things and is generally easy.
One of these women is my sister, but I don’t really think my mother would take kindly to a perceivable insult on her naming choice, so I was wondering if anyone with the mn [name]Jane[/name]/[name]Jean[/name], or who has called bestowed it upon their daughter, could shed some light on this? Was it fashionable?
I don’t mean this offensively, I quite like the name, I’m just wondering.

[name]Jane[/name] is my mn after my grandmother. I’ll agree, it can seem a little plain, but at least it has significance. It’s uncommon among my age group, so it’s much better than one of those fillers like [name]Rose[/name] or [name]Marie[/name].

My middle name is [name]Jane[/name] and I was born in the 80s. I actually don’t know many people my age with that middle name. I think there are “filler” mn fads. Like [name]Lynn[/name], [name]Marie[/name], [name]Grace[/name] and [name]Rose[/name], etc. Generally, one-syllable middle names and two syllable names with the emphasis on the second ([name]Renee[/name], [name]Marie[/name], [name]Louise[/name]) sound good with just about any name. Some just happen to be more stylish at a particular time than others, as with other names.

For me, [name]Jane[/name] is a family name and my parents liked it with my first name, so there you go!

[name]Jane[/name] is one of my fave girl’s names. [name]Don[/name]'t think of it as a filler middle name. [name]Just[/name] love it. [name]Love[/name] [name]Jean[/name], too, but it’s not in style. [name]Jean[/name] is a fam name for me. My cousin’s name is [name]Jean[/name] and my great aunt.

I don’t know anyone named [name]Jane[/name], but I did want to chime in with how lovely I think it is :slight_smile: It makes a precious middle name, I think. I slightly prefer the extra punch of [name]Jayne[/name], though!

I absolutely love the name [name]Jane[/name]! [name]LOVE[/name] it! I don’t find it plain at all, but simply elegant.

:slight_smile:

For a while I considered using the name [name]Jane[/name] as a middle name because my great great grandmother was named [name]Emma[/name] [name]Jane[/name]. Now, I am planning to use [name]Jean[/name]. I decided to use [name]Jean[/name] over [name]Jane[/name] because [name]Jane[/name] is honoring a great lady that I never even met but [name]Jean[/name] is honoring three people who are much closer. My mother’s mother was [name]Frances[/name] [name]Norma[/name] [name]Jean[/name] (I never met her because she passed away before I was born), my father’s mother is [name]Deanna[/name] [name]Jean[/name], and my aunt is [name]Rhonda[/name] [name]Jean[/name]. [name]Jean[/name] just honors more people who are much closer to me than my dear great great grandmother. I also think its a beautiful name.

I go back and forth in my opinion about this name. It’s my MILs middle name so we are considering it as a middle name for a future daughter. I’m a [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name] fan so that provides another nice association. However I do know someone in her 30’s whose name is [name]Debra[/name] [name]Jane[/name] who finds her middle name boring. My hubby likes [name]Jane[/name] a lot. I sort of prefer it as a first name as it seems more uncommon in that spot: [name]Jane[/name] [name]Isadora[/name] is a favorite combo. I also consider using two middle names to include something more unusual, although that makes for a lot of names…

I really like [name]Jane[/name] as a middle name for more elaborate first names. [name]Cassandra[/name] [name]Jane[/name] is a favorite. This combination also is fun for me because I’m a [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name] fan. ([name]Jane[/name]'s sister was named [name]Cassandra[/name].)