Please critique my list; Baby Girl arriving in 4 months

We are having the hardest time finding a name for our baby girl arriving in [name_f]May[/name_f]. We like old-lady sounding, classic names (nothing made-up, and nothing that was popular in the 80s).

My shortlist:
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Ella[/name_f]
[name_f]Elsa[/name_f]
[name_f]Esther[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Elvira[/name_f]

Runners-up:
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Elna[/name_f]
[name_f]Agnes[/name_f]
[name_f]Martha[/name_f]

Middle names we would like to use are Margrethe or [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] (possibly [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], depending on flow).

We just can’t seem to find THE RIGHT first name or the right combo - please help! Which do you like and why?

[name_m]How[/name_m] would you pair them with a middle name?

Have we missed any names of this same style - please give suggestions!

If she ever had brothers they would be [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] and [name_m]Alfred[/name_m].

[name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] and [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] are quite common these days, far more so than [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] and [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] - not sure if that matters to you at all.

[name_f]Ada[/name_f] Margrethe
[name_f]Olive[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] Margrethe

I like:
[name_f]Ada[/name_f] Margrethe – my favorite
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] Margrethe
[name_f]Nora[/name_f] Margrethe

I don’t like [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] as middle name. [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] is better. It just sounds more complete to me

My top 5:
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] Margrethe (absolutely stunning and charming)
[name_f]Ada[/name_f] Margrethe (classy)
[name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] (I really love the name [name_f]Rose[/name_f] when it is used as a first name. Too often it gets thrown as a middle, but it stands well on its own!)
[name_f]Ella[/name_f] Margrethe

I also love [name_f]Olive[/name_f], but not crazy about [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] (too popular). I think it’s such a sweet name! I would stay clear from [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] in the next few years… but it is a pretty name. Not sure if the connection to Frozen will matter to you or not.

I really love [name_f]Flora[/name_f], so gorgeous! I love the mythology connection too.

[name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] ([name_f]Sophie[/name_f]), & [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] are pretty popular right now, they are pretty but not favorites. However, I’ve always had a soft spot for [name_f]Lily[/name_f] so I always find myself putting it in the middle name spot. If popularity doesn’t bother you then [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f], & [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] are my favorites out of those.

[name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Elise[/name_f], & [name_f]Anna[/name_f] are pretty classic. My favorite is [name_f]Rose[/name_f], really cannot go wrong with [name_f]Rose[/name_f]…very pretty! To me [name_f]Anna[/name_f] is growing tired lately, I have known quite a few.

[name_f]Ada[/name_f] is growing is popularity but not overly trendy like [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f], etc. I like [name_f]Ada[/name_f] its short & sweet. Between [name_f]Ada[/name_f] & [name_f]Flora[/name_f] though I would choose [name_f]Flora[/name_f].

I’m not really a fan of:
[name_f]Elsa[/name_f] (All of think of is Frozen)- I don’t like the fact that everyone would think you chose this name b/c of the movie
[name_f]Edith[/name_f], [name_f]Ester[/name_f], [name_f]Agnes[/name_f] - Too granny chic for me not my style
[name_f]Elvira[/name_f] - This is probably my least favorite on your list, I just don’t find it appealing at all
[name_f]Elna[/name_f] - prefer Eleonor or Eleonora
[name_f]Nora[/name_f] - This is ok, indifferent to this name
[name_f]Martha[/name_f] - I find this dated and very plain jane

Other suggestions:
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_f]Celia[/name_f]
[name_f]Calista[/name_f]
[name_f]Estelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]
[name_f]Leona[/name_f]
[name_f]Luella[/name_f]
[name_f]Liv[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]/te
[name_f]Livia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f]
[name_f]Mirabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]

[name_f]Lily[/name_f] (nice name, but does not have an old-lady vibe going on anymore and would make [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] and [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] sound dated)
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] (love it, would go nicely with [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] and [name_m]Alfred[/name_m])
[name_f]Ella[/name_f] (sounds much too popular and mainstream than [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] and [name_m]Alfred[/name_m])
[name_f]Elsa[/name_f] (not sure if the Frozen connection would still be too strong, but it is very nice and sounds great with brothers names)
[name_f]Esther[/name_f] (it sounds great, but when pairing it next to [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] the two r endings and grating together, but that may just be me)
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] (gorgeous, would sound great with [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] and [name_m]Alfred[/name_m])
[name_f]Ada[/name_f] (sounds rather short next to brother’s names, not my favorite, but I can’t stop hearing “'Atta girl” for some reason)
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] (very modern, [name_f]Olive[/name_f] would work better with [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] and [name_m]Alfred[/name_m])
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] (would sound good next to [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] and [name_m]Alfred[/name_m], though it sounds younger to me but that’s also because I associate it with [name_m]Roald[/name_m] Dahl’s [name_f]Matilda[/name_f])
[name_f]Elvira[/name_f] (I love this name, though it might be a bit exotic sounding next to [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] and [name_m]Alfred[/name_m], maybe?)

My favorites (with middle names):
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] Margrethe
[name_f]Elsa[/name_f] Margrethe
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] Margrethe
[name_f]Elvira[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]

I love your list and that both of you love the same type of names. Below are thoughts on each of your names. One of the things I like about “old lady names” is that theoretically they are familiar yet not overly popular so with that said…

[name_f]Lily[/name_f] - I love [name_f]Lily[/name_f] but I know 3 little girls under 4 with this name. I don’t know where you live but in the US it’s ranked as 27th most popular girls name as of 2014. Personally that would bother me, but if it doesn’t bother you. Cool. Have you considered a longer version like [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] or [name_f]Lilianna[/name_f] (upside this adds your runner up [name_f]Anna[/name_f] to the mix) with nn [name_f]Lily[/name_f]?

[name_f]Edith[/name_f] - [name_u]Love[/name_u]!

[name_f]Ella[/name_f] - Once again the popularity get’s to me - personal issue. In the US it’s ranked at #17. Have you considered [name_f]Etta[/name_f] instead? It was most popular in 1900 (classic old lady name) and the last time it was over the top 1000 in the US was in 1966. I personally prefer [name_f]Etta[/name_f] because it’s quirkier but still has that classic old lady feel and your daughter won’t have to compete with others in her class.

[name_f]Elsa[/name_f] - I am going to project that after Frozen the popularity of this name is just going to keep going up. I think it’s very cute but [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] might be a nice alternative (if you don’t mind the M connection).

[name_f]Esther[/name_f] - Great name!

[name_f]Flora[/name_f] - [name_u]Love[/name_u]!

[name_f]Ada[/name_f] - Sweet! Keep in mind that [name_f]Ava[/name_f] is in the top 10 in the US and that might be pulling [name_f]Ada[/name_f] up with it over the next couple of years.

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] - DH suggested this. I love [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] and would have said yes but… extremely popular in the US it ranks as #2. In the UK it’s #4 etc. If you really like this how about [name_f]Olive[/name_f]?

[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] - So cute and not overly popular!

[name_f]Elvira[/name_f] - I absolutely adore [name_f]Elvira[/name_f]. Sadly my DH has vetoed it for our little [name_f]May[/name_f] baby! Seriously it was/ is on my own list!

Combos I like:

[name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Sofia[/name_f] followed by [name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] (my mn is [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] and I love the ph but the spanish f is more on trend which would be a great way to modern-up the name).

[name_f]Elvira[/name_f] Margrethe

[name_f]Lily[/name_f]: nice enough, but a bit dull. I prefer [name_f]Lilith[/name_f], [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] or even [name_f]Lilias[/name_f].

[name_f]Edith[/name_f]: pretty, cute and vintage.

[name_f]Ella[/name_f]: Ok, but a bit dull. I like [name_f]Ellen[/name_f] and [name_f]Helena[/name_f].

[name_f]Elsa[/name_f]: too Disney.

[name_f]Esther[/name_f]: love it. Strong, weighty and not frilly.

[name_f]Flora[/name_f]: nice, but a bit girly for my taste. I also think of the spread.

[name_f]Ada[/name_f]: OK, but not my favourite. I actually prefer [name_f]Ava[/name_f] despite its popularity.

[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]: lovely, but uber-popular. I also love [name_f]Olive[/name_f], [name_f]Livia[/name_f] and [name_f]Liv[/name_f].

[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]: love it, but dislike all nicknames. It’s my daughter’s mn.

[name_f]Elvira[/name_f]: love it. Very mysterious sounding, and really underused.

[name_f]Anna[/name_f]: love it. Simple and warm.

[name_f]Rose[/name_f]: like it a lot. [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Rosa[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f].

[name_f]Elise[/name_f]: nms, but a fine name.

[name_f]Nora[/name_f]: love it. I find it strong and beguiling.

[name_f]Elna[/name_f]: don’t really like it, but it does have the benefit of being unusual-familiar.

[name_f]Agnes[/name_f]: I like the idea of it, but I just can’t like the name itself. It just sounds harsh and abrupt to me.

[name_f]Martha[/name_f]: love this. It’s gorgeous, understated and classic.

I like [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Ada[/name_f], [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], [name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Elise[/name_f], and [name_f]Nora[/name_f].

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Lydia[/name_f]? or [name_f]Clara[/name_f]?

I like your naming style, but if you want to avoid overly popular names, I would take [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] (FROZEN!), and [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] off your list. [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] is climbing, but I think you’re still safe with that one. [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] is also very popular, but since it’s in the middle name spot, it’s not really a big deal. Plus, it’s a pretty name.

I really love [name_f]Edith[/name_f]. The nickname [name_f]Edie[/name_f] is darling too. [name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] or [name_f]Edith[/name_f] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] is so sweet.

I also like [name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]/[name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f].

[name_f]Esther[/name_f] is growing on me, but I don’t love it like I do [name_f]Edith[/name_f] or [name_f]Ada[/name_f].

Other suggestions:
[name_f]Selma[/name_f]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Alma[/name_f]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f]
[name_f]Leona[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucille[/name_f]
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]
[name_f]Thora[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Sybil[/name_f]
[name_f]Millicent[/name_f]
[name_f]Adeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Agatha[/name_f]
[name_f]Agnes[/name_f]
[name_f]Frances[/name_f]
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]
[name_f]Florence[/name_f]
[name_f]Marigold[/name_f]
[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f]

[name_f]Lily[/name_f] - beautiful, but too popular
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] - I use to hate this name, but I’ve warmed up to it. [name_f]Edie[/name_f] is a cute nn.
[name_f]Ella[/name_f] - too popular and doesn’t feel as vintage anymore
[name_f]Elsa[/name_f] - unfortunately too Frozen now
[name_f]Esther[/name_f] - ok and fits your style, but not my fave
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] - [name_u]Love[/name_u] it!
[name_f]Ada[/name_f] - Nice alternative to [name_f]Ella[/name_f] and [name_f]Ava[/name_f].
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] - too popular
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] - like it
[name_f]Elvira[/name_f] - not ready for a comeback yet

[name_f]Flora[/name_f] and [name_f]Ada[/name_f] would be my picks for you.

Did you just reference a [name_m]Fritz[/name_m] Lang film? I see your point, but I think few will link it to that. I think [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] is sweet.

[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Elsa[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Elna[/name_f]
[name_f]Agnes[/name_f]

I like these from your list. I personally don’t think of Frozen when I hear the name [name_f]Elsa[/name_f]. I have a 2 year old who likes the movie, but the name has a long history on its own that the Frozen thing doesn’t bother me.

edith, flora and matilda are my favourite with your boy names.

edith margrethe
flora sophie
matilda sophie

matilda sophie in particular is a great name, a bit vintage and a bit spunky, but edith and flora would also be great (although a bit more uptight).

I like [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_f]Ada[/name_f], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f] & [name_f]Nora[/name_f] a lot.

Suggestions:
[name_f]Mavis[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f]
[name_f]Inez[/name_f]
[name_f]Millie[/name_f]
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_f]Roberta[/name_f]
[name_f]Althea[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]

My faves

[name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ella[/name_f] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]
[name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]
[name_f]Elise[/name_f] Margrethe
[name_f]Nora[/name_f] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]

Suggestions (In case you are interested)

[name_f]Estelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanora[/name_f]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f]
[name_f]Silvia[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Desiree[/name_f]
[name_f]Lillian[/name_f]
[name_f]Therese[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelie[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]

My faves

[name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]

Suggestions (In case you are interested)

[name_f]Estelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanora[/name_f]
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f]
[name_f]Silvia[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Desiree[/name_f]
[name_f]Lillian[/name_f]
[name_f]Therese[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelie[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]

Thank you to everyone for the great feedback! There are so many good suggestions in this answer in particular. I really like [name_f]Selma[/name_f], [name_f]Alma[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Vera[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] and [name_f]Agnes[/name_f]. Unfortunately we have very good friends whose babies are named [name_f]Vera[/name_f] and [name_f]Ellinor[/name_f]. So these are out of the picture. [name_f]Clara[/name_f] rhymes with my own name, so that one is probably out as well. [name_f]Alma[/name_f] is the name of the daughter of a colleague of my husband, so he feels in-between about that one.

Unfortunately my husband has nixed [name_f]Flora[/name_f] and [name_f]Nora[/name_f], as he does not like their sound :frowning:

If it were entirely up to me, she would be [name_f]Esther[/name_f] or [name_f]Alma[/name_f]. I am trying to get more into the names [name_f]Ada[/name_f] and [name_f]Edith[/name_f], which are indeed very cute and vintage feeling. We live in a Scandinavian country, so I am also struggling a bit with pronunciation differences as well as whether the name is as solidly recognized here as it is in English. My husband really likes [name_f]Elsa[/name_f], and I am trying to keep [name_f]Alma[/name_f] in the game. [name_f]Lily[/name_f] might be a good compromiser-name.

So the narrowed-down list looks like:
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Elsa[/name_f]
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]
[name_f]Ada[/name_f]
([name_f]Alma[/name_f] and [name_f]Esther[/name_f])

But, in the bigger picture, we are not really closing in on anything…

I like [name_f]Edith[/name_f] among your current list, and on the first list you had, [name_f]Esther[/name_f] and [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]–but I might be biased because I like consonant-heavy names. :slight_smile: I’ve read some helpful advice that says it’s better to move up a name to the shortlist by finding things you like about it rather than looking at your shortlist and seeing possible pitfalls among the names there. [name_m]How[/name_m] about you and your husband discuss what you like and dislike about each of the names on your list–what does he like about [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] so much, for example, and would he mind the Frozen association? Why do you like [name_f]Alma[/name_f]?

What about (sorry for the repeats) [name_f]Agatha[/name_f], [name_f]Frances[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Irene[/name_f], [name_f]Helen[/name_f], [name_f]Eugenia[/name_f], [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], [name_f]Maude[/name_f], [name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Louise[/name_f], and [name_f]Winifred[/name_f]? (Also, what about Scandinavian names?)

You have [name_f]Elvira[/name_f] on your list, have you thought about [name_f]Elvia[/name_f]? It’s very similar to [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] but stands on its own.

First names:
[name_f]Lily[/name_f] - [name_u]Love[/name_u], but super common.
[name_f]Edith[/name_f] - I should love it, but I can’t stand it. I wish I liked it.
[name_f]Ella[/name_f] - [name_u]Love[/name_u], but also super common.
[name_f]Elsa[/name_f] - Liked it, until Frozen came out.
[name_f]Esther[/name_f] - I should like it, but I can’t stand it.
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] - Beautiful!!!
[name_f]Ada[/name_f] - I really like it.
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] - [name_u]Love[/name_u] it, but the level of popularity it’s on scares me.
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] - Cute, reminds me of the movie. Also gaining popularity.
[name_f]Elvira[/name_f] - Not my favorite, I prefer [name_f]Elvia[/name_f].
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] - Classic, pretty. A little too basic for me, I like [name_f]Annelise[/name_f] so much more.
[name_f]Rose[/name_f] - Also classic, pretty. I really like it.
[name_f]Elise[/name_f] - So pretty! [name_f]Elise[/name_f] and [name_f]Marie[/name_f] are two names that use to just be used for middle names, but I love them as first names. I do prefer [name_f]Annelise[/name_f] though.
[name_f]Nora[/name_f] - Gorgeous!!! It is gaining popularity though and that frightens me.
[name_f]Elna[/name_f] - I don’t care for this name. What about [name_u]Alva[/name_u] or [name_f]Alba[/name_f]?
[name_f]Agnes[/name_f] - [name_f]Agnes[/name_f], [name_f]Martha[/name_f], [name_f]Edith[/name_f], and [name_f]Esther[/name_f] are all in the same boat for me. I should like them, but I can’t.
[name_f]Martha[/name_f] - Above ^^^

Middle names:
Margrethe - Wow I love it!!!
[name_f]Sophie[/name_f] - I love [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], and prefer it over [name_f]Sophia[/name_f].
[name_f]Sophia[/name_f] - Super common as a first name, I prefer [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], but it depends on the flow. Like for instance [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], [name_f]Olive[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]. I don’t care for double A or E endings, it’s a little too frilly for me. For instance [name_f]Ella[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] and [name_f]Flora[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] and [name_f]Elise[/name_f] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f].

With [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] and [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] I don’t care for the repetition of O and A. I prefer any other vowel or a consonant, so [name_f]Ada[/name_f] and [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] would be out for me.

[name_m]Oscar[/name_m], [name_m]Alfred[/name_m], and…
[name_f]Lily[/name_f] Margrethe
[name_f]Ella[/name_f] Margrethe
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] Margrethe
[name_f]Flora[/name_f] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f] Margrethe
[name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]
[name_f]Elise[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]