Please help - going crazy!

[name]Hi[/name] berries!
I desperately need help and I think your advice will be just what I need !!!

We found out we are having a baby boy - and although initially I wanted a girl :wink:
I think I always knew it was a boy because my hubby and I had picked out our boy name for the longest time.
[name]Kai[/name] …we were married in hawaii and love everything about the sea, so it was a special name for us we were excited to use.

I have to preface now that we are [name]Asian[/name] american and Chinese.
I did of course run this by my parents who of course are simply trying to be helpful and they brought up some good points which bummed us out a little. They said although [name]Kai[/name] is a great name - it sounds to asian for an asian baby. People will think we are just spelling out his Chinese name. :frowning: Now I can’t stop thinking about this comment, and of course as much as it is our choice - I want the name to be perfect!

So can you berries please give me your opinion - if you saw an American [name]Asian[/name] baby named [name]Kai[/name] - do you think it is too stereotypical?
I had wanted something strong fresh and unique - not how shall I put this delicately - " Chinese sounding" :wink: which my hubby and I barely know how to speak anyways. ( And I can’t run this by others because we are trying to keep the name a secret)

The only other name we love is [name]Landon[/name] or [name]Landen[/name] , but our very close friends named their baby son [name]Brandon[/name]…
we have a tight knit circle of friends - do you think this sounds too close ? Considering they may be playing together alot ?

Ideally it was between [name]Kai[/name] [name]Landen[/name], or [name]Landen[/name] [name]Kai[/name]

Thanks so much for your input! I feel like I am going crazy when the boy name was suppose to be a no brainer!!!

I don’t think [name]Kai[/name] is “too asian” at all! It’s a wonderful boy’s name and it has a lot of meaning for you and your husband, so I say go for it. If I read the name [name]Kai[/name] off a roll sheet at school, I’d never assume he was [name]Asian[/name] American just by his name. Hawaiian maybe, but not [name]Asian[/name] American. And actually, I think it’s fitting, and that the similarity to some Chinese names would be a plus! It kind of honors your heritage!

I agree, [name]Kai[/name] doesn’t sound too [name]Asian[/name] to me. Also, this seems kind of interesting to me since I recently met a couple where the husband was Japanese/Hawaiian and they’d been living in [name]Hawaii[/name] when both their sons were born so they gave them both Hawaiian names. The older boy is Kainoa, (might be Kainowa) and most people call him [name]Kai[/name] though some of his friends call him [name]Noah[/name]. I thought it was a nice name and helps lengthen out the short [name]Kai[/name], plus it also had ties to [name]Hawaii[/name].

[name]Kai[/name] is my dad’s Chinese name (one of the 2 Chinese characters anyway), so I have always associated this name to Chinese. He does have an English name though, and he goes by that with non-Chinese friends.

You can always call him [name]Malachi[/name] nn [name]Kai[/name]? Or something to that effect, if you are worried?

But I think ultimately, if you love that name, just use it.

Use [name]Kai[/name]! If you both love it and it has special meaning then I would go ahead and use it. Is it that it would be too 1st generation Chinese to have a Chinese name? I think it would be a cool thing to have it as a nod to your heritage and be a hawaiian name. But it depends how much it would bug u. I think if it does then the best thing to do is use it as a nickname for another Hawaiian name like the above poster says. What about Kailani, Kaiemi, Kaimalie, Molokai
…my fav is Kailani.