Please Help! I’m So Torn! :)

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone! :slight_smile:

I’ve recently posted about this on here, but I’m hoping to get some more honest opinions about girls names and I’m really torn and struggling. I would love to use my late Italian grandmother’s name, “[name_f]Carmella[/name_f],” to honor her. That aside, I actually think it’s a lovely, sweet, and classic name anyway with great potential for a bunch of nicknames ([name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_f]Elle[/name_f], [name_f]Mella[/name_f], [name_f]Millie[/name_f], etc.)… BUT I also love the name “[name_f]Eleni[/name_f]” (pronounced uh-LEN-ee) and it has also been on my list for a while as well. I am constantly going back and forth between these two!

I also genuinely adore the name “[name_f]Lucy[/name_f],” which is an honor name for my husband’s grandmother who recently passed away. We can only use it as a middle name because our chosen boys name is [name_u]Luca[/name_u], which is too similar to [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]…right?

On days when I’m super torn, I wonder if we can just use both [name_f]Carmella[/name_f] and [name_f]Eleni[/name_f] together with one as the middle name, but would it be a mouthful or a poorly flowing name if we did that?

Other factors to weigh…my husband really loves the names [name_f]Eleni[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], but isn’t super crazy about [name_f]Carmella[/name_f]. Our last name is two syllables, starts with “B,” and ends in “s.”

Please help us find a name that we love and that incorporates everything we want based on the options below. :slight_smile: Here are the options that we both love or that one of us loves a little more than the other. Which ones do you prefer?

[name_f]Eleni[/name_f] [name_f]Carmella[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleni[/name_f] [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleni[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleni[/name_f] [name_u]Lou[/name_u]
[name_f]Eleni[/name_f] [name_f]Lucia[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleni[/name_f] [name_f]Capri[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleni[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleni[/name_f] [name_f]Noelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleni[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f]

[name_f]Carmella[/name_f] [name_f]Eleni[/name_f]
[name_f]Carmella[/name_f] [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Carmella[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Carmella[/name_f] [name_f]Noelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Carmella[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f]

Thank you so, so much! :slight_smile:

I LOVE [name_f]Carmella[/name_f] [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]! So gorgeous and timeless. I also like [name_f]Carmella[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Eleni[/name_f] [name_f]Lucia[/name_f], and [name_f]Eleni[/name_f] [name_f]Capri[/name_f].

I think [name_f]Eleni[/name_f] [name_f]Carmella[/name_f] or [name_f]Eleni[/name_f] [name_f]Carmelle[/name_f] (it just sounds a little shorter) is stunning and you both get a first name you love. It flows beautifully!

Carmella [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] is gorgeous!
I love the significance of the regal name [name_f]Carmella[/name_f], and it has a great deal of lovely nicknames I’m sure your husband can find one he likes.
[name_f]Eleni[/name_f] is also nice, but I think a lot with [name_f]Carmella[/name_f]. Good luck!

I personally love names with a lot of syllables, so I think [name_f]Eleni[/name_f] [name_f]Carmella[/name_f] is lovely. If you want to use [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] as well, have you considered having two middle names?

1 Like

Thanks :slight_smile: I guess I’ve never considered using two middle names. That’s another option we can consider!

I’ve never considered [name_f]Carmelle[/name_f] as a shorter option and way to honor [name_f]Carmella[/name_f]. I actually like how it sounds since the emphasis is on the second syllable and it makes the overall name flow nicely. Thank you.

I like [name_f]Carmella[/name_f] [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Carmella[/name_f], or [name_f]Eleni[/name_f] [name_f]Carmella[/name_f] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] :blush: Of those I think [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Carmella[/name_f] has the best flow. I would definitely keep [name_f]Carmella[/name_f] in the name somewhere.

I love [name_f]Eleni[/name_f] [name_f]Carmella[/name_f]! If you have a boy called [name_u]Luca[/name_u] as well you will be honoring both grandmothers.

Very true…[name_u]Luca[/name_u] can be used to honor [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] as well. :slight_smile:

So sorry, but I just can’t make myself truly like the sound of [name_f]Carmella[/name_f]. I do LOVE [name_f]Camella[/name_f] though! [name_f]Eleni[/name_f] is beautiful, as well as [name_f]Lucy[/name_f].

Carmella is a very warm and lush name. I like it.

I think [name_f]Eleni[/name_f] [name_f]Carmella[/name_f] is beautiful. It’s absolutely stunning, actually! I also like the option of [name_f]Eleni[/name_f] [name_f]Carmelle[/name_f]. Personally, I would keep [name_u]Luca[/name_u] as your boy choice and not go with [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]. [name_f]Eleni[/name_f] and [name_f]Carmella[/name_f] are both so much more interesting and lovely.

I adore the name [name_f]Eleni[/name_f]! I think [name_f]Eleni[/name_f] [name_f]Carmella[/name_f] is wonderful, and sounds like it has a lot of personal significance to you. I prefer [name_f]Carmella[/name_f] over [name_f]Carmelle[/name_f] because [name_f]Carmelle[/name_f] is very close to how I would pronounce “caramel” lol.

I think [name_f]Carmella[/name_f] [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] or [name_f]Carmella[/name_f] [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] are beautiful. As someone who grew up with a name that was constantly mispronounced, I think [name_f]Eleni[/name_f] would lead itself to the same fate.

Carmella is gorgeous! You have some beautiful and very significant honour names as options- no wonder why you are torn!

Carmella [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] gets my vote! I like [name_f]Eleni[/name_f] but I think I prefer it in the middle name spot, as I worry about mispronunciations . I like [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] too but also for middles, as I know a few little [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]’s .

I am also a fan of using a double middle name in order to use all the beautiful name options and honours you want. What if after your daughter you have 5 boys !

Carmella [name_f]Lucia[/name_f]
[name_f]Carmella[/name_f] [name_f]Eleni[/name_f] [name_u]Lou[/name_u]
[name_f]Carmelle[/name_f] [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Eleni[/name_f]
[name_f]Carmelle[/name_f] [name_f]Eleni[/name_f]

Carmella [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] is perfect. [name_f]My[/name_f] son has a family name from each side and it’s always felt perfect to me and it fits him well.

I love [name_f]Eleni[/name_f] [name_f]Carmella[/name_f]! It gives your daughter her own name as well as an honour name, it flows really well and is really lovely. I’d probably avoid [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] since [name_u]Luca[/name_u] is your boys name

Thanks so much, everyone! Do you think it will be insensitive not to use Lucy anywhere in the name if we use Carmella? Carmella was my grandmother and Lucy was my husband’s grandmother who just very recently passed away. I feel terrible using one and not the other, especially since her passing is so recent. Still torn.

I think it’s a decision you should make with your husband. It seems very personal and it’s ultimately up to the two of you. I’m sure you’ll have the perfect name whatever you decide to do :slight_smile: