Please help me find a name meaning "soul"...

…(or maybe spirit?) that sounds nice with the first name [name]Seneca[/name] (meaning “old”). I had thought of [name]Seneca[/name] [name]Enid[/name] (“old soul”) but DH isn’t a fan of [name]Enid[/name]. Any suggestions???

[name]Alma[/name] is one of my favorite names, and it means ‘soul’ in Spanish. [name]Psyche[/name] and Euthymia also have meanings related to ‘soul’. Are you sure about [name]Seneca[/name]? It’s technically a boy’s name… :?

Yeah, I know that [name]Seneca[/name] is traditionally a boy’s name. Although I have only ever known women with the name (two). I’m not sold on [name]Seneca[/name], but it is DH’s favorite by far so I’m willing to at least make an effort by finding a middle name that goes with it. Right now, it’s probably our second choice. I’m definitely curious to hear what you don’t like about it, if you don’t mind. Thanks for the suggestion of [name]Alma[/name], I will run that one by him.

Well, first off I’m not a fan of any boy’s names on girls, even if they sound feminine (like [name]Seneca[/name]). And the famous [name]Seneca[/name] is a pretty overwhelming association-- is that the reason your husband likes it? Or maybe because of the women’s rights [name]Seneca[/name] Falls Convention? If so, I think it would make a fine middle name-- otherwise it seems like a sort of random pick. And those are my own first associations with it; I’ve never encountered it as a person’s name. Another reason I don’t like the name is because it reminds me of similar trendy picks: [name]Sienna[/name], [name]Sierra[/name], etc. Would your husband like [name]Serena[/name], [name]Selena[/name], [name]Annika[/name], [name]Yesenia[/name], [name]Xenia[/name]/[name]Ksenia[/name], or [name]Viveka[/name]? They all remind me of [name]Seneca[/name]…

Thanks for your thoughts! While I genuinely dislike boys’ names on girls too, [name]Seneca[/name] strikes me as unisex because there are other references/origins besides the Latin [name]Seneca[/name] (i.e. the place/nature-name association with [name]Seneca[/name] Falls and [name]Lake[/name] [name]Seneca[/name], and in particular the [name]Seneca[/name] Falls Convention as you point out, which I imagine all originate with the Iroquois tribe known as the [name]Seneca[/name].) The main reason I’m NOT sold is the other issue you mentioned - the similarity to the popular [name]Sienna[/name] and [name]Sierra[/name]. I’m nervous about the name sounding insubstantial (or like a “random pick” as you said.) The possible “weightiness” of the connection to the philosopher doesn’t bother me ([name]Athena[/name] is my own top pick, pretty weighty.) Thanks for the other suggestions. We’ve considered a couple of them in the past - I’ll add the others to the list.

Anybody have any other thoughts on “soul” names???