Please help me find a new name

[name]Hi[/name] Berries! :slight_smile:

I’ve been trying to come up with another name to go by, and I really need some Nameberry help!

I started a similar thread about this in Talk About Names, so this is a continuation. Basically, I don’t like my name at all. I’ve never met a nice [name]Nicole[/name], and the name has always sounded really tacky to me. I know so many, too, and it doesn’t feel like me one bit. I told my mother this, and she agreed to a “test trial” where I go by another name for a week and see how it fits. Except, all the names that I’ve offered she doesn’t like. She said that her opinion doesn’t matter, that she’ll call me by whatever name I choose, but I love my mother and I want her to at least like whatever name I choose. In addition, most of the names I like just don’t seem fit for me or for a girl my age. The ones my mom suggested were [name]Ellie[/name] (not bad, just a little plain…but it does actually fit me quite well!), [name]Sydney[/name] (don’t like), [name]Ashley[/name] (eww), and [name]Mia[/name] (ehh). I offered [name]Amelia[/name] in turn for [name]Mia[/name], but my mom didn’t like it. I also offered [name]Daphne[/name], [name]Imogen[/name], [name]Fern[/name], and [name]Annie[/name] (I was surprised, seemed close to [name]Ellie[/name]), but she didn’t like them. Other names she had been considered for me besides [name]Nicole[/name] were [name]Robin[/name], [name]Francesca[/name], [name]Paulette[/name] (my mn), and [name]Julianne[/name] (which later went to my dear cousin).

A little about me: I go to a prep high school in northeastern U.S. I’m rather introverted. I love writing, reading, playing golf, music, and movies. I work very hard in school and get good grades, and I’m friendly and thoughtful, ambitious and observant. I have two younger (pesky) brothers. I’m of average height, average size; I have really pale skin, very curly shoulder-length hair (like [name]Taylor[/name] Swift’s, but brown). My ethnicity is really complicated. I’m first-generation American. My dad is half Syrian/Turkish, half [name]German[/name]. My mother is half Ukrainian, a quarter Romanian, and a quarter Syrian. Last name is French-[name]German[/name]. The twist is, though, that my parents both grew up in Hispanic countries, and most of my family still lives in a Hispanic country. Oh, I’m Jewish too, and proudly so. My first languages were Spanish and Russian; then English; and I’ve learned French and [name]German[/name] in school. I know a little bit of Hebrew as well.

I would rather not have some really hippie or out-there name, because my school and town are very preppy and I don’t want to stand out too much. I’m not even sure if this name would stick; I’m just saying in case it does, I don’t want it to be too radical. There are tons and tons of Elizabeths and Katherines where I am (a very conservative area). I’ve grown up with kids named [name]Beatrice[/name], [name]Rosemary[/name], [name]Imogen[/name], [name]Millicent[/name], [name]Josephine[/name], [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Susan[/name], [name]Georgia[/name], [name]Cecily[/name], [name]Helen[/name], [name]Laura[/name], [name]Margaret[/name], [name]Frances[/name]… I think the Nameberry community would go crazy happy with the names in my town. :wink: Those more traditional names overrule the popular names of the 90’s, yet there are still plenty of kids with names like [name]Jessica[/name] and [name]Hannah[/name].

I’ll list here some of my favorite names: [name]Hazel[/name] (it really fits me, but I’ve always wanted to save it for my own daughter), [name]Daphne[/name], [name]Willow[/name], [name]Celeste[/name], [name]Eulalia[/name], [name]Patience[/name], [name]Imogen[/name], [name]Maeve[/name], [name]Felicity[/name], [name]Liesel[/name], [name]Fern[/name], [name]Delilah[/name], [name]Magnolia[/name], [name]Lavender[/name], [name]Abigail[/name]… Most of them don’t feel like me though. The only ones I could see on my self are [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Eulalia[/name], [name]Lavender[/name], and maybe [name]Daphne[/name]. Lots of names I adore (ex: [name]Julia[/name], [name]Dahlia[/name], [name]Susannah[/name], [name]Violet[/name], etc.) are taken by family members, so it just makes it harder!

Suggestions and advice will be much appreciated!!! Thanks in advance for your help!

• [name]Nicole[/name]

[name]Do[/name] you want a name that can be pronounced easily by your Spanish-speaking relatives? Here are the names of some Mexican-Jewish ladies I know:

[name]Sharon[/name]
[name]Alicia[/name]
[name]Galia[/name]
[name]Jeanette[/name]
[name]Alexis[/name]
[name]Michelle[/name]
[name]Tamara[/name] (goes by [name]Tammy[/name])
[name]Melissa[/name] ([name]Tammy[/name]'s teenage daughter)
[name]Marta[/name]
[name]Daniela[/name]
[name]Raquel[/name]

As for names from your list, [name]Hazel[/name] and Lavander made me think of [name]Laurel[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you like it?

Actually, the pronunciation thing probably won’t be much of a problem. Lots of my relatives speak English anyway. I love the Spanish names [name]Eulalia[/name] and [name]Celeste[/name], but I don’t know if they really fit me. (I don’t look Hispanic AT ALL.)

I think [name]Laurel[/name] does fit me quite well! It’s just that I have a very good friend named [name]Lauren[/name], so that might get confusing.

Thanks so much for your input, ybp!

From [name]Liesel[/name] – [name]Annaliese[/name]?

Nature names… Let me think about it. [name]Violet[/name], Lavander - how about [name]Lilac[/name]? Lavander + [name]Deliah[/name] => [name]Lilia[/name]?

What if you ask [name]Lauren[/name] if it would be okay with her. If she’s fine with it, would you feel comfortable?

Hm… how about:

[name]Cassia[/name]
[name]Clemence[/name]
[name]Sylvie[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Corinne[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Livia[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Annika[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Verity[/name]

ybp, while [name]Lilac[/name] is lovely, I think it is a little too “out there”. And honestly, I would get confused myself with [name]Laurel[/name] and [name]Lauren[/name]! I very much associate people by their names.

irisrose, I really like [name]Matilda[/name] from your suggestions! I feel like would fit it well, but my mother hates it! Should I just try going by it anyway? I have a great aunt [name]Mathilde[/name], I think that’d be a cool way to continue the name. Also, I really like [name]Nellie[/name] from [name]Helen[/name] and its variants, but I’m not sure I am a [name]Nellie[/name].

I tend to like more humble names for myself that aren’t ultra girly, in the vein of [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Matilda[/name], [name]Helen[/name] (which is out unfortunately, my mom’s best friend’s name), and [name]Ellie[/name].

Does [name]Ellie[/name] seem boring to you? What names could [name]Ellie[/name] be short for? Also, how do you feel about [name]Myrtle[/name]?

Oh, I’m starting to fall in love with [name]Matilda[/name]… :slight_smile:

I like [name]Matilda[/name]! :smiley: My great-grandmother was a “[name]Tillie[/name]” short for [name]Matilda[/name]!

Hm. Okay! Any of these work?

[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Ada[/name]
[name]Blair[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Christina[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Corinne[/name]
[name]Diana[/name]
[name]Ellis[/name]
[name]Elaina[/name]
[name]Emma[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Isabel[/name]
[name]Ingrid[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Jenna[/name]
[name]June[/name]
[name]Kira[/name]
[name]Lana[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Mara[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Margo[/name]
[name]Molly[/name]
[name]Nell[/name]
[name]Naomi[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Ramona[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Sarah[/name]
[name]Simone[/name]
[name]Tess[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name]
[name]Vanessa[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I usually hear of [name]Ellie[/name] as a nickname for [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name], and [name]Ellen[/name], which of course is out if [name]Helen[/name] is out. It’s a shame your mom didn’t like [name]Annie[/name], I prefer that to [name]Ellie[/name] personally. What about:
[name]Edith[/name]
[name]Mary[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Virginia[/name]
[name]May[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name]
[name]Eve[/name]
[name]Ruth[/name]

It’s great that your mom is being so supportive and that you’re trying to find a name she likes.

Here’s a few ideas
[name]Amalia[/name]
[name]Maya[/name]
[name]Lia[/name]/[name]Leah[/name]
[name]Elise[/name]

Good luck with your decision. I hope you find something you and your mom are both happy with

I love the name [name]Nico[/name]. It is very rocker/artist but also a bit preppy. It isn’t nature but it is very similar to [name]Nicole[/name] but with a twist…

[name]Cat[/name], [name]Tillie[/name] is so cute, isn’t it?

[name]Lemon[/name], I really like [name]Stella[/name], [name]June[/name], [name]Fiona[/name], and [name]Anna[/name]. I’m going to run them by. A lot of the name you listed I love, but unfortunately I can’t use them (like [name]Julia[/name] and [name]Violet[/name]…I love them!).

triceratops, I also prefer [name]Annie[/name] over [name]Ellie[/name]! My mom says I don’t look like an [name]Annie[/name] though. I really like [name]May[/name]! I forgot about that one. [name]Ruth[/name] is cute, too!

violet1, thank you for your input, but I really don’t feel like a [name]Nico[/name]. You’re right, it sounds like a name for a hip rocker chick–which I’m not. I’m more of a nerd.”

I have some ideas for names you may or may not like. These are all sort of random names that I like and think are similar to some of the names you said you liked:

[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Johanna[/name]/[name]Joanna[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Ellen[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Elena[/name]
[name]Natalie[/name]
[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Nina[/name]
[name]Luna[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Martha[/name]
[name]Maggie[/name]
[name]Meredith[/name]
[name]Mariann[/name]
[name]Marilyn[/name]

[name]Do[/name] you plan to keep [name]Paulette[/name] as your middle?

Based on your description of yourself and the style of names you like, I would offer–

[name]Annike[/name]- my first reaction: given the complexity of your heritage, I think this name works in everyone’s tongue and is gorgeous! I like this with [name]Paulette[/name].

[name]Fiona[/name]-my second inclination: I think this name also comprises a good marriage of cultures, languages, and religions. Also nice with [name]Paulette[/name].

[name]Tabitha[/name] “Bit” or “[name]Abi[/name]” strikes me as a good fit and in the right style for you. I think [name]Paulette[/name] is still good with this one, but maybe a different middle would suit you like [name]Mercy[/name] or [name]Ivy[/name].

[name]Roberta[/name]- I have a soft spot for this one, strong but understated, multi-cultural, and has vintage appeal without the uber popular streak. Also good with [name]Paulette[/name], [name]Ellis[/name] or [name]Anne[/name] as middle.

I second others’ suggestions of [name]Matilde[/name], [name]Ramona[/name] (similar to [name]Roberta[/name] but softer), and I’d also add [name]Mabel[/name] and [name]Margot[/name], and [name]Erin[/name].

[name]Hope[/name] you like some, and best of luck. I always liked my name, [name]Jacquelyn[/name], but a few of my friends have changed their’s in college or gone by middles, so I can understand your desire for a fitting name.

mam2321, thanks for your suggestions! I think [name]Nora[/name] would fit me, but I don’t think I’d use it, I’ve never really liked that name.

jerinnyx, I’m not sure what I’m going to use as my middle name. Oh, I’ve never heard of [name]Annike[/name] before! Interesting. I really like [name]Fiona[/name]. Like I said, I’m going to run that one by. I like the name [name]Tabitha[/name], but I know this one that I really don’t like… And I know my mom doesn’t like [name]Robert[/name] and its variants. But thank you so much for your suggestions!

What do you think of [name]Agnes[/name], [name]Olive[/name], and [name]Kit[/name]? I love [name]Georgia[/name] as well, but [name]George[/name] is my dad’s name, so it’s out unfortunately. I’m starting to like [name]Marisol[/name] as well, maybe nn [name]Sol[/name], but I’m not sure. I have a family member named [name]Solange[/name]. I’m also starting to think that [name]Maeve[/name] might work, too.

Ooh I like [name]Annike[/name] too. I went to school with this really artistic chick named [name]Annika[/name] (her older sister is [name]Kirstin[/name]).

I’m just curious, how would your pronounce [name]Annike[/name] (spelled that way)? All I know is [name]Annika[/name].

I like [name]Dahlia[/name] for you. And you’re in the same issue as I am. I’m currently trying to change my name to [name]April[/name]. I’m stuck on the middle name though.

Sorry I haven’t posted in this thread for a while, guys! I didn’t forget, I was just on a long trip without Internet for a bit over two weeks!

malibuxo, I love [name]Dahlia[/name] as well, but as I said earlier, it’s my cousin’s name! I asked my mom about it anyway, and she said she didn’t like it. :frowning: I like [name]April[/name]! Some middle names? Here are some I came up with: [name]April[/name] [name]Katherine[/name], [name]April[/name] [name]Olivia[/name], [name]April[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name], [name]April[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]April[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name], [name]April[/name] [name]Viola[/name], [name]April[/name] [name]Phoebe[/name]. [name]Hope[/name] that helps!

I really like the name [name]Scarlett[/name], and so I went by it for a few days. It was refreshing to be called by a name that sounded fresh and hip, but I’m not sure if it is me. I’m still dwelling on [name]Matilda[/name], just that I’m thrown off by the fact that my mom doesn’t like it!

[name]Natalia[/name]
[name]Nicolette[/name]
[name]Nadia[/name]

Have you considered any of these? :wink: