Please help me honor my dad!

I recently lost my beloved father and want nothing more than to honor him with my first born. His name was [name]William[/name] [name]Joseph[/name]. My husband and I have decided on [name]Benjamin[/name] [name]William[/name] for a boy, but are really stuck for a girl. It’s really important to incorporate my dad’s name. The only suggestions I have received so far are [name]Willow[/name], [name]Wilhelmina[/name], or [name]Josephine[/name]. My husband doesn’t really care for any of them. Any creative suggestions?

[name]Seraphina[/name] or [name]Sophie[/name] nn Sephy?
[name]Joanna[/name]/[name]Johanna[/name], especially with nn [name]Jo[/name]
[name]Maile[/name], prn’d my-ley… “mail” would be in [name]William[/name] spelled backwards
[name]Malia[/name] or [name]Alia[/name] if the letters of [name]William[/name] were rearranged
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Lia[/name]- can be a nickname for [name]Cordelia[/name], [name]Amelia[/name], etc.
[name]Josie[/name]

Some of these are a stretch, but I’m pretty easygoing with honouring. Or, as is often mentioned, you can use your dad’s favourite colour, place, etc. if suitable for a name.

Good luck deciding!

[name]Willa[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] is so pretty to me & such an overt way to honor him!

What about using the initials W. J.? If it were me I would definitely push for [name]Josephine[/name] in the middle spot.

This is a lovely idea, and your father’s name is such a great one to work with. [name]Willa[/name] was the first thing to come to mind, but pp stole my thunder. :slight_smile:

Also for some reason [name]Maisie[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] comes to mind, though I’m not really sure why. Maybe from the letters in [name]William[/name]? [name]Mila[/name] is also an option if you go this way.

I love the idea of [name]Willa[/name] to honor a [name]William[/name]! Or maybe you could just use his initials? Something like [name]Winter[/name] [name]Jane[/name] or [name]Willa[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]?

Good luck!

Also [name]Lia[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] is cute or maybe [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]?

[name]Willa[/name] is great. I wonder if your father ever actually used the [name]Joseph[/name] or if it has enough meaning to really feel like a good way to honor him? If the honoring name is going to go in the middle, as with [name]William[/name], my feeling is that you should stick as close as possible to the original or the meaning is diluted. I have the sense you’re more of a traditionalist so probably wouldn’t go for something like [name]Billie[/name]. Another less conventional solution is to actually use the name [name]William[/name] in the middle, so you might name your daughter [name]Adelaide[/name] [name]William[/name]. If that’s too much of a stretch, you can use [name]William[/name] in the third place – [name]Adelaide[/name] [name]Jane[/name] [name]William[/name]. It’s really no different from using any other kind of family name or surname or maiden name as a middle. You might also use your dad’s surname/your maiden name as your child’s middle and honor your dad that way.

I’m having a little girl any day now and am naming her [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Mae[/name] [name]Anastasia[/name]. My mom died 4.5 years ago and ruby was her birthstone. My mil and I share a first name and were named for the same saint-- [name]Theresa[/name] the [name]Little[/name] [name]Flower[/name]. [name]One[/name] of the meanings of [name]Mae[/name] is flower. So [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Mae[/name] honors both of my little girl’s grandmothers and me. Is there something like this you could do to honor your father in the event of a little girl?

First of all, I’m very sorry about the loss of your father. I send cyberhugs your way! I thought of [name]Sybil[/name] (like [name]Bill[/name]-- too much of a stretch?), and I also like the idea of using the initials. Maybe you could use the super search tool to find W and J names that fit your style. Best of luck!

[name]Sybil[/name] is brilliant! I adore it, I don’t know why I didn’t think of it. I liked [name]Willa[/name] when I suggested it, but I like [name]Sybil[/name] nearly as much as [name]Willa[/name] (if not just as much!).

Thank you so much for your input! I really like [name]Willa[/name] but I don’t think it sounds great with my last name. I really like the idea of using the initials W and J, especially since my married name has the Same intial as my maiden so my child would have his exact initials. Any other W name ideas? or W J combinations?

[name]Winslet[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Winter[/name] / Winterlynn [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Wren[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Whitney[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]

[name]Minna[/name], [name]Minka[/name], and [name]Wilhelmina[/name] all have the same meaning as the name [name]William[/name] (strong-willed warrior) and [name]Josette[/name] and [name]Josephine[/name] have the same meaning as [name]Joseph[/name] (God will increase)

[name]Joelle[/name] or [name]Joella[/name]? It kind of brings in both his first and middle names. Or maybe [name]Jolie[/name].

[name]Willoughby[/name] isn’t my style but I met a really cute little girl with this name. It’s also a street near me that is very pretty & historic.

I think [name]William[/name] in the middle is a nice option, then you could choose whatever you want for the first name.

Some other W + J suggestions:
[name]Wren[/name] [name]Julia[/name]
[name]Winona[/name] [name]Julianne[/name]

Good luck!

What do you think of [name]Waverly[/name]? I really like:
[name]Waverly[/name] [name]Jade[/name]
[name]Waverly[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Waverly[/name] [name]Jenna[/name]

I also like [name]Wren[/name]:
[name]Wren[/name] [name]Jocelyn[/name]
[name]Wren[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Wren[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]