Please Help Us Break A 4-Way Tie For Baby #2

See the results of this poll: What should we name Baby #2?

Respondents: 102 (This poll is closed)

• Colton Elliot : 29 (25%)
  • Connor Elliot : 48 (42%)
  • Reagan Elliot : 9 (8%)
  • Kellan Michael: 29 (25%)

[name_m]Colton[/name_m] gmv - it has the fewest ‘cons’ for you and I don’t think it sounds too cowboy. [name_m]Colton[/name_m] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] is a great combo

I voted for [name_m]Connor[/name_m] because I love that name. I know it’s increased in popularity but I’ve actually never met 1. I have 3 kids so I know quite a few kids, including I think 6 Rileys… Funny how popularity varies so much by region.
Actually I know a few Coltons too. It’s not a bad name but I do find it very country. And the children I know with this name support that vibe…
[name_u]Reagan[/name_u] is a name I’ve never cared for either sex but I’d I had to choose I prefer it for a boy. I do like [name_m]Kellan[/name_m]. Either one though I wouldn’t worry about it being considered girly. So many names are unisex these days I don’t expect any boy to be bullied for having a girl name unless it’s something they are deeply insecure about. If boys are being raised to view girls as equals they won’t care if girls have the same or similar names so they won’t be a Target for bullies.
Also [name_u]Kelly[/name_u] isn’t being used much this generation so I wouldn’t worry about his peers shortening [name_m]Kellan[/name_m] to [name_u]Kelly[/name_u] and then finding it to girly.
I hope seeing others views on your top names helps. Maybe when you meet him one will just fit so much better than the rest…
Have you considered [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] as a first?

I’d go with [name_m]Colton[/name_m] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] 100%! Sounds perfect with [name_u]Riley[/name_u] [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] and just seems perfect for your family.

Good luck :slight_smile:

I like [name_m]Connor[/name_m] best with [name_u]Riley[/name_u], then [name_m]Colton[/name_m]. I’m not a fan of [name_u]Reagan[/name_u] because of the presidential association. [name_m]Kellan[/name_m] is handsome but I adore [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] and [name_u]Michael[/name_u] is lackluster in comparison imo.

[name_m]Connor[/name_m] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] and [name_u]Reagan[/name_u] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] got my vote. I think it boils down to how much popularity bothers you: [name_m]Connor[/name_m] would be my first choice with sister [name_u]Riley[/name_u], but if meeting others with the same name is going to really bother you, then it’s probably not the name for you.

I like [name_u]Reagan[/name_u] with [name_u]Riley[/name_u] if alliteration is a plus for you, and it’s certainly more unusual. Although it’s becoming more popular for girls, the most famous modern [name_u]Reagan[/name_u] is male so I certainly see it as suitable for either sex. I much prefer it for a boy, in fact.

I think [name_m]Colton[/name_m]

I really like [name_m]Kellan[/name_m] [name_u]Michael[/name_u].

(For the record, I think [name_u]Reagan[/name_u] is a politically loaded choice. Where I’m from, that president isn’t well liked and the kid would definitely receive some comments about that. As someone with a politically charged first name, trust me, politics will come up around him often. It’s not ideal. But hey, that’s just my opinion. I would honestly love the name otherwise.)

I voted for [name_m]Kellan[/name_m] [name_u]Michael[/name_u]. I like both names. However, my name is [name_u]Michael[/name_u] so I may not be impartial :wink: My second choice would be [name_m]Connor[/name_m] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], which is also a very nice name.

With sister [name_u]Riley[/name_u] I think [name_m]Colton[/name_m] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] is the best choice. They sound the best together and I think go the best popularity wise and style wise.

[name_m]Colton[/name_m] does feel cowboy to me, but that’s because every I knew to use it were cowboys type. Doesn’t make it unusable, just that’s the vibe it gives me

[name_u]Reagan[/name_u]- I agree that the presidential association is not necessarily a good one. As another poster said, he is “well liked in some regions”…in others he is despised.

[name_m]Connor[/name_m] and [name_m]Killan[/name_m] I both like. [name_m]Connor[/name_m] would be my top choice. Although I like the suggestion [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] as a first name!

[name_m]Kellan[/name_m] is my favorite name on your list and I don’t think it’s too feminine at all.

[name_m]Connor[/name_m] and [name_u]Reagan[/name_u] are my next favorites. I’ve actually met as many boys named [name_u]Reagan[/name_u] as I have girls (1 of each but it still counts). The presidential association puts me off a bit on [name_u]Reagan[/name_u] though. I’ve known a couple boys named [name_m]Connor[/name_m] but they were my age.

The only one I don’t like is [name_m]Colton[/name_m]. It screams “frat boy” to me and not in a good way. If I met a nice [name_m]Colton[/name_m] then I could probably get over it though.

I really like [name_m]Connor[/name_m] [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] but [name_m]Colton[/name_m] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] of very nice too!

Ok, seeing that you have three choices with [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] in the middle I’m inclined to say you love that name more than your other middle option so you should pick one of them because you might regret not using [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] after all.

With [name_m]Kellen[/name_m] anyway, I think it most feels like a trendy name and it might get shortened to [name_u]Kelly[/name_u] every once in awhile I’m a cutesy way and while [name_u]Kelly[/name_u] has once been masculine and I don’t think it’d be a real problem he’d get teased for but I f you don’t like it then it might be better to play it safe and choose something else.

That leaves the other three picks.

[name_u]Reagan[/name_u] has a bit of a unisex feel to it like [name_u]Riley[/name_u] does but yeah lately I have noticed it being one of the surnames popular for girls. I think
It’d still be wearable on a boy without feeling feminine though. But how do you feel about nn [name_u]Ray[/name_u]? Because it’s way more likely than [name_u]Kelly[/name_u] for [name_m]Kellen[/name_m]. And how do you like President [name_u]Reagan[/name_u] personally? It’s gonna be very associated with him still so I’d personally have to consider if I wanted the honor name undertones associated with it or not. Something that I’d also consider is if you introduce your kids and said “[name_u]Riley[/name_u] and [name_u]Reagan[/name_u]” it isn’t apparent who is who because they’re both so unisex. I think I’d lean more toward a bit more obviously male name for your son.

[name_m]Connor[/name_m] and [name_u]Riley[/name_u] do sound very Irish and unless you have more Irish choices for a future kid or aren’t planning on another then I’d worry about possibly feeling stuck in a themed sibset later on.

The spelling con might be a legit concern but I don’t think it’s too bad especially if you go with the most common or correct one. I haven’t noticed [name_m]Connor[/name_m] becoming too popular but it might be one that sneaks up on you irl. But I think it’s a safe bet to choose.

[name_m]Colton[/name_m] in the Midwest is a very country cowboy name and I very much associate it as one.
I don’t think [name_u]Riley[/name_u] and [name_m]Colton[/name_m] have the same flow as some other picks though. And while it does have the perfect popularity score I feel like where I’m from I’ve heard [name_m]Colton[/name_m] and [name_m]Colt[/name_m] used as the first or second name quite often.

Over all I think my vote goes to [name_m]Connor[/name_m] but it’s a tough pick.

[name_u]Reagan[/name_u] would be a close runner up.

Hopefully others opinions might help you knock a name or two off, and if anything you might have to wait and see him before you know which one just “fits” him.

Another suggestion would be to poll your daughter and find out which ones she likes most- or if you don’t want her getting hopes up too much that what she wants will win, ask her which one she likes the least to help narrow it down and help make her feel included in naming her brother.

[name_m]Colton[/name_m] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] got my vote. You yourself have put it at the top of the list (subconscious favourite maybe) and it has the least cons for you (I don’t think it sounds cowboy at all). [name_u]Riley[/name_u] & [name_m]Colton[/name_m] fit well together as siblings.

If common is not what you are after, [name_m]Connor[/name_m] is definitely not the best bet. [name_u]Reagan[/name_u] is great, however, with sister [name_u]Riley[/name_u], I think he’d often be assumed a girl (or if he’s met first, perhaps [name_u]Riley[/name_u] would be assumed a boy) – this isn’t a bad thing at all in my opinion, a quick correction and all is well, but it’s something to consider. [name_m]Kellan[/name_m] reverts to you using a second choice middle, and you’ve got a better option on your list with your first choice.

I’m saying the names out loud together and these are my thoughts for what it’s worth…

[name_u]Riley[/name_u] - flows off the tongue, easy, cheerful name to say and speak
[name_m]Connor[/name_m] - feels to have the same roll off the tongue flow as [name_u]Riley[/name_u] but with it’s own unique vowel sounds. Sounds great as a sibset.
[name_m]Kellan[/name_m] - love this, also love [name_u]Kelly[/name_u] as a nn, but not loving [name_u]Riley[/name_u] and [name_m]Kellen[/name_m] having shared ‘L’ sounds in the middle. Not a biggie if you’re set on the name.
[name_u]Reagan[/name_u] - I agree with a pp that said if you were introducing your kids it may not be obvious who is who so feel you need to stay on the more masculine side for sons name.
[name_m]Colton[/name_m] - great name too. But I feel like [name_m]Connor[/name_m] is top of the leader board for me when said with [name_u]Riley[/name_u], and spoken aloud on it’s own. [name_u]Riley[/name_u] & [name_m]Connor[/name_m] sound Great.

I also like [name_m]Connor[/name_m] [name_u]Michael[/name_u], even more than [name_m]Connor[/name_m] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] but both are great.

It’s also evident you like the ‘K’ sound with the [name_m]Colton[/name_m], [name_m]Connor[/name_m] and [name_m]Kellen[/name_m] so these may perhaps be your top 3? GL

Wow! We are overwhelmed by the help and responses you all have provided here! Thank you to each and every one of you who have voted, and especially to those who took the time to write out some really great thoughts. It means a lot that total strangers are willing to put the time and effort in to coming up with the perfect name for our baby.

Many of you have touched on some ideas we hadn’t even considered. [name_u]Reagan[/name_u] absolutely is a unisex name these days, and we didn’t even think about how introducing our two children as [name_u]Reagan[/name_u] and [name_u]Riley[/name_u] could/would be a bit confusing to strangers as to which child went with which name. But that’s a very valid point. Also, we are a fairly moderate family when it comes to politics, so the name [name_u]Reagan[/name_u] really doesn’t offend us in any way. But we certainly wouldn’t want our child to have a name which automatically makes some people subconsciously dislike him due to the name. I guess we thought President [name_u]Reagan[/name_u] was well-liked enough and served long enough ago to where there wouldn’t be strong feelings toward that name (as opposed to say, [name_m]Bush[/name_m], [name_m]Obama[/name_m], or Trump).

I think at this point we’re leaning toward [name_m]Colton[/name_m] or [name_m]Connor[/name_m], and that is how the vote so far is shaping up.

Also, it’s kind of funny but not altogether unsurprising that the vote totals seem to be falling right in line with the overall popularity of the names (as ranked by the Social Security Administration). [name_m]Connor[/name_m] has the most votes, and in 2017 [name_m]Connor[/name_m] was the most popular boy name among our 4 choices. [name_m]Colton[/name_m] is in 2nd place here, and [name_m]Colton[/name_m] was the 2nd most common name for a boy among our choices, with [name_m]Kellan[/name_m] ranking 3rd in both ad [name_u]Reagan[/name_u] falling behind in last in both.

The last thing I’ll say is that some of you who have replied have some very unique and beautiful names for babies in your signatures!

When just looking at the names, I was torn between [name_m]Colton[/name_m] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] and [name_m]Kellan[/name_m] [name_u]Michael[/name_u]. I like both of these best because I feel the repeating sounds between the first and middle names makes them flow nicely. Once I read your pros and cons and reasoning behind the names, [name_m]Colton[/name_m] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] emerged as the clear winner to me. I don’t think it sounds too cowboy or country.

I like [name_m]Kellan[/name_m] [name_u]Michael[/name_u] best! But I would actually go with [name_m]Colton[/name_m] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u]. It seems like a better fit for your family.