Please help us decide!

Our first son is [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u]. Our last name ends with -kowiak, with the first four letters being the name of [name_m]Homer[/name_m] [name_m]Simpson[/name_m]'s son : ) So it’s quite the last name to work with. We’re expecting our second son in [name_u]March[/name_u], and because we like to keep our name options close to the vest w/ our family and friends, I could use some input to see what you all think sounds good with [name_m]William[/name_m] and our last name, as well as making sure I’m not missing something obvious with our options!

1. [name_u]Owen[/name_u]
  2. [name_m]Lincoln[/name_m]
  3. [name_m]Bennett[/name_m]
  4. (Kind of a longshot) [name_m]Heath[/name_m]

Please feel free to suggest middle names, if you’d like! :slight_smile:

I love [name_m]Lincoln[/name_m] and [name_m]Bennett[/name_m]! :slight_smile:

[name_m]Lincoln[/name_m] [name_m]Sheppard[/name_m]
[name_m]Lincoln[/name_m] [name_u]Rhys[/name_u]

[name_m]Bennett[/name_m] [name_m]John[/name_m]
[name_m]Bennett[/name_m] [name_m]Xavier[/name_m]

[name_u]Owen[/name_u] [name_m]Oliver[/name_m]

I like all of the options! I don’t think you can go wrong! That said, [name_u]Owen[/name_u] seems to go best with [name_m]William[/name_m] to me (maybe because my cousins kids are [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_u]Owen[/name_u]). I also really like [name_m]Bennett[/name_m]. I think all these names may pair best with [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] with more traditional middles.

Some middle ideas:
[name_u]Owen[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
[name_u]Owen[/name_u] [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]
[name_u]Owen[/name_u] [name_m]Patrick[/name_m]
[name_m]Bennett[/name_m] [name_u]Michael[/name_u]
[name_m]Bennett[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]
[name_m]Bennett[/name_m] [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]

Like [name_m]Bennet[/name_m] [name_m]Xavier[/name_m] suggested above too!

My only hangup with [name_m]Bennett[/name_m] is that although I think it sounds good with [name_m]William[/name_m] (who we call by his full first), I don’t want to sound like we live in a [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] Brothers catalog or send our kids to prep school either :slight_smile: What do you think? is that the impression you get? Is there a middle that would tone this down a little?

Why is [name_m]Heath[/name_m] a long shot? It’s my fav from your list!

I guess I just see it as the most ‘adventurous’ of the bunch, and I tend to play it more safe. :slight_smile: do you think it works with the ln?

While [name_m]Bennett[/name_m] and [name_m]William[/name_m] together does sound a little [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] brother/ prep schoolish to me, I wouldn’t have that stop me if it is a name both you and your partner love. As kids get older, they often choose to go by nick names such as [name_m]Will[/name_m]/[name_m]Liam[/name_m] or [name_m]Ben[/name_m] and then your kids would have classic/stylish names with very approachable nicknames they use day to day. My parents wanted my brothers to go by their full names (and they did until about 6th grade) but as an adult my brother [name_m]Timothy[/name_m] is only ever called [name_m]Tim[/name_m]. Would a [name_m]Bennett[/name_m] go by his full name or [name_m]Ben[/name_m]? If you think the child would go by [name_m]Ben[/name_m] most of the time I wouldn’t be concerned about the prep school image since [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_m]Ben[/name_m] sounds really approachable and down to earth. Good luck deciding! I am due in [name_u]June[/name_u] and we just started talking names. So tricky to find one that seems right!

[name_m]Just[/name_m] my two cents based on how I perceive sounds…I’d avoid names beginning w/hard, explosive sounds, as your last name contains a number of consonants that pop off the tongue (1 B & 2 Ks). So I wouldn’t go w/names beginning w/B, D, T, K, G, or possibly P. [name_u]Owen[/name_u] is nice because the sound is softer. I also like:

[name_u]Seth[/name_u]
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
[name_m]Andrew[/name_m]
[name_m]Matthew[/name_m]
[name_u]Mason[/name_u]

Good luck!

I would go with [name_u]Owen[/name_u]. It’s a classic choice with [name_m]William[/name_m], and with your last name, I would go with something on the simple and classic side to downplay it a bit. [name_m]Just[/name_m] my take!

I like [name_u]Owen[/name_u] from your list too. It softens the name when paired with your last name, because it doesn’t have the strong consonants that your last name has. I also think [name_u]Owen[/name_u] and [name_m]William[/name_m] are a good sibset.

Yes, from the start I was going to say [name_u]Owen[/name_u]. It goes very well with [name_m]William[/name_m], without being same-y. And it softens the complicated last name.

I like [name_u]Owen[/name_u].

[name_u]Owen[/name_u]. [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_u]Owen[/name_u] have similar meanings.