Please help us narrow down our list -- Due in May

[name]Hi[/name] everyone. I’m new to nameberry, I happened to stumble upon it while looking up baby names. Anyway, my husband and I are expecting our second child, we already have a son [name]Nicholas[/name] [name]Parker[/name] and are now expecting our first daugher [name]May[/name] 24th. Naming our son was easy because he was named after my husband, however, for a girl we are having trouble deciding. We have compiled a list of names that we each like and have been reviewing them but I would love to get some more feedback. There are some we like more than others but decided to post the whole list anyway. I would love to hear some opinions on the name as well as some possible combinations. Other suggestions are welcome as well. Thank you!!

[name]Eliana[/name]-Pronounced [name]Ellie[/name]-ah-nah. We know you can spell it Illeana and pronounce it Eel-ee-ah-nah but we’re not a fan of that pronunciation.

[name]Sabrina[/name]

[name]Vanessa[/name]

[name]Jordana[/name] -Pronounced Jor-Da (like Dad)-Nah not the way it looks like Jor + the name [name]Dana[/name] (some people I’ve talked to mispronounce it that way)

[name]Larissa[/name]

[name]Isabelle[/name] - I know it’s pretty popular but in High School when I took French everyone had to pick a French name that the class addressed them as and I picked [name]Isabelle[/name] and have loved it ever since

[name]Angelina[/name] - Not crazy about the [name]Angelina[/name] [name]Jolie[/name] association but hubby nixed [name]Angelica[/name], which was a favorite of mine so I’m trying to substitute and I’m not a fan of [name]Angela[/name]

[name]Briana[/name] - Pronounced [name]Bree[/name]-[name]Ah[/name]-Nah

[name]Scarlett[/name]

[name]Gia[/name]-Worried that this looks too incomplete as a first name, however, I’m not a fan of [name]Giovanna[/name]. [name]Gianna[/name] is alright, but I really like [name]Gia[/name], just can’t decide if it looks incomplete.

[name]Meredith[/name]

[name]Rose[/name]

[name]Alexandra[/name]-I’m afraid this will get shortened to [name]Alex[/name] or [name]Ali[/name], which I don’t care for. Also, I have a cousin named [name]Alexandra[/name] but she lives in another state and we’re not really close so I don’t really want her to think I named my child after her (Sounds horrible, I know) but then again maybe that wouldn’t even occur to her since we only see each other like once a year if that. Also, she goes almost exclusively by [name]Allie[/name] so it might not even be an issue, I’m just overanalyzing.

[name]Natasha[/name]

[name]Jasmine[/name]

[name]Paulina[/name]

[name]Olivia[/name]-Again, popular, but I have always loved it and also love the nickanme [name]Liv[/name].

[name]Nadia[/name]

[name]Alana[/name]

Some possible middle names:

[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name]
[name]Maggie[/name]
[name]Jade[/name]
[name]Simone[/name]
[name]Eva[/name]
[name]Odette[/name]

Thanks again :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name], and welcome to Nameberry!

The only names that I really think work well with [name]Nicholas[/name] on your list are [name]Isabelle[/name], [name]Alexandra[/name], and [name]Olivia[/name]. Of those, I would eliminate [name]Alexandra[/name] - it is bound to be shortened. [name]Olivia[/name] is my favorite! [name]Alana[/name] might work, too - it is very cute!

You seem to like names ending in -ana. So, might you like [name]Iliana[/name] - it is like [name]Eliana[/name], but is pronounced with an ILL sound - or [name]Diana[/name]? [name]Both[/name] are Greek, like [name]Nicholas[/name]. I would also suggest [name]Christiana[/name], [name]Juliana[/name], and [name]Mariana[/name]. Maybe [name]Johanna[/name], [name]Rosanna[/name], or [name]Susannah[/name] would work, too? My favorites are [name]Rosanna[/name] and [name]Susannah[/name], [name]Rosie[/name] or [name]Annie[/name]!

[name]Lydia[/name] would also be perfect with [name]Nicholas[/name] - both are Greek, both are classic.

So, some possible combinations are [name]Rosanna[/name] [name]Grace[/name], [name]Susannah[/name] [name]Claire[/name], or [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Simone[/name]…

Good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

From your list I love [name]Isabelle[/name], [name]Scarlett[/name], [name]Meredith[/name], [name]Rose[/name], [name]Olivia[/name], and [name]Gia[/name]. As a suggestion [name]Georgiana[/name] with nn [name]Gia[/name] would be very pretty!

Thank you very much for your opinions! I also really like the suggestion of [name]Lydia[/name], I will run that by my husband.

I like…

[name]Eliana[/name] [name]Grace[/name] (I am considering [name]Eliana[/name] for my baby girl due in [name]April[/name])

[name]Alana[/name] (more simple but still pretty and cute)

[name]Briana[/name] [name]Olivia[/name] (very pretty!)

[name]Nadia[/name] [name]Odette[/name] (its a cute name, I always think of a russian gymnist when i hear this name though)

[name]Meredith[/name] [name]Eva[/name] or [name]Meredith[/name] Avelie

[name]Eliana[/name] is beauiful but I think you will run into pronunciation issues.

[name]Sabrina[/name]-I think [name]Sabrina[/name] is nice but nothing really special

[name]Vanessa[/name]-Sort of the same way I feel about [name]Sabrina[/name]

[name]Jordana[/name]-I’ve always liked [name]Jordana[/name]

[name]Larissa[/name] - I’ve never been a fan of any of the “arissa” names, however, I think this is the nicest one of all of them

[name]Isabelle[/name] - I think [name]Isabelle[/name] is beautiful. Popular yes, but not so much as [name]Isabella[/name].

[name]Angelina[/name] -I agree about automatically thinking of [name]Jolie[/name], but a beautiful name nonetheless

[name]Briana[/name] - [name]Love[/name] [name]Bree[/name]-[name]Ah[/name]-Nah but fear it will be pronounced [name]Bree[/name]-[name]Ann[/name]-[name]Ah[/name], which I’m not a fan of at all, but I don’t know if this is an issue for you

[name]Scarlett[/name] - I’m a huge Gone with the Wind fan so [name]Scarlett[/name] is always a winner to me

[name]Gia[/name]- I think it could work as a first name on its own if she were your first child but next to [name]Nicholas[/name] it just looks incomplete

[name]Meredith[/name] - [name]Love[/name] [name]Meredith[/name] but it doesnt seem as feminine as your other names

[name]Rose[/name]-[name]Love[/name] [name]Rose[/name], but again with [name]Nicholas[/name], I think it’s better in the middle spot

[name]Alexandra[/name]-I love [name]Alexandra[/name] but she will more than likely get a nickname

[name]Natasha[/name] - I think this is beautiful and exotic

[name]Jasmine[/name]-Pretty but for some reason always reminds me of a stripper name, I’m sorry.

[name]Paulina[/name] - I’ve never been a fan of any of the feminine [name]Paul[/name] names

[name]Olivia[/name]-[name]Love[/name] [name]Olivia[/name]! It is popular but if this doesnt bother you and you love the name I would go for it. Also, I agree that the nickname [name]Liv[/name] is very cute.

[name]Nadia[/name]- Cute, but again now WOW

[name]Alana[/name]- Same as [name]Nadia[/name]

I think the combinations [name]Eliana[/name] [name]Rose[/name], [name]Angelina[/name] [name]Jade[/name], [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Grace[/name], [name]Briana[/name] [name]Claire[/name] and [name]Olivia[/name] [name]Grace[/name]. I also love [name]Isabelle[/name] but am not sure of a good middle name. Maybe [name]Nicolette[/name]? It would keep the French theme but is a little “I” heavy.

Good luck!

[name]Eliana[/name] - for some reason, I don’t care for this name and it always sounds like a spoiled girl or diva to me. I don’t know why this is but I can’t get past it.

[name]Sabrina[/name] - I love [name]Sabrina[/name]! It’s beautiful and feminine and doesn’t immediately lend itself to a nickname. [name]Nicholas[/name] and [name]Sabrina[/name] are great together.

[name]Vanessa[/name] - sounds dated to me

[name]Jordana[/name] - do you want it to be pronounced Jor-dah-nuh? That’s how I would say it. It’s ok.

[name]Larissa[/name] - not a fan; it seems prissy to me

[name]Isabelle[/name] - If you absolutely love a name then I wouldn’t let the popularity bother me. If you’re only so-so and feel that there are other names you might like just as much then I would skip it. It is beautiful though! I also like the spelling [name]Isabel[/name].

[name]Angelina[/name] - I agree it’s hard to hear this name without thinking of Ms [name]Jolie[/name]. You have to decide whether that bothers you. I prefer [name]Angelica[/name] too, but it sounds like that one is out.

[name]Briana[/name] - I agree with pp that you might have people pronounce it as [name]Bree[/name]-[name]ANN[/name]-ah, which is not as pretty imo.

[name]Scarlett[/name] - too Gone with the Wind to me - sort of like [name]Angelina[/name] in that there really is no other familiar association, or at least no one as big as [name]Scarlett[/name] O’[name]Hara[/name]. I also don’t like that there’s no natural way to shorten it - not really as a nickname because it doesn’t need one - but if you ever call for her from the yard or upstairs or something like that. Scar would be the tendency and obviously that’s no good.

[name]Gia[/name] - It does look a little incomplete and [name]Giovanna[/name] and [name]Gianna[/name] seem very Italian next to [name]Nicholas[/name]. I like pp’s suggestion of [name]Georgiana[/name] nn [name]Gia[/name].

[name]Meredith[/name] - I really like [name]Meredith[/name] and I think it goes well with [name]Nicholas[/name]

[name]Rose[/name] - I prefer some of the [name]Rose[/name] variants like [name]Rosemary[/name], [name]Roseanna[/name], [name]Rosalind[/name] etc but it is a beautiful name.

[name]Alexandra[/name] - I would skip this with [name]Nicholas[/name] especially if you don’t like any of the nicknames

[name]Natasha[/name] - [name]Natasha[/name] and [name]Nicholas[/name] seem very Russian together. I like [name]Sabrina[/name] and [name]Meredith[/name] much more than [name]Natasha[/name]

[name]Jasmine[/name] - seems dated to me

[name]Paulina[/name] - interesting. I kind of like it but it’s certainly not something you hear very often.

[name]Olivia[/name] - see [name]Isabelle[/name] regarding my thoughts on popularity. I agree the [name]Liv[/name] nn is sweet.

[name]Nadia[/name] - see [name]Natasha[/name]

[name]Alana[/name] - not my style but I can see it’s appeal. I do think it goes well with [name]Nicholas[/name].

My favorites from your list:

1. [name]Olivia[/name] (if you decide the popularity doesn’t bother you)
  2. [name]Sabrina[/name]
  3. [name]Rosemary[/name]/[name]Rosalind[/name]
  4. [name]Meredith[/name]

You have a nice list of names. My favorites from you list are [name]Alana[/name], [name]Paulina[/name] (yeah!) and [name]Jordana[/name]. I like [name]Olivia[/name] and [name]Meredith[/name] too.
I think most people know how to say [name]Jordana[/name] right, so don’t let it deter you from using it. You can remind folks it rhymes with [name]Juliana[/name] if necessary. I think all three names sound nice with [name]Claire[/name] or [name]Grace[/name] as middle names. I also think [name]Simone[/name] sounds nice with [name]Alana[/name] and [name]Paulina[/name]. Good luck finding the right name!

My name is [name]Alexandra[/name] but all my friends call me [name]Alex[/name] (my brother calls me [name]Ally[/name]/[name]Ali[/name]). However, I wouldn’t let possible nicknames get in the way of choosing this beautiful name :stuck_out_tongue:

Because your child will get nicknames - kids are pretty creative when it comes to that :wink: And if you don’t like [name]Ali[/name], what about [name]Ela[/name], Sabs, [name]Izzy[/name] or Vany? They are not toooooo great either! And there are many different nns for [name]Alexandra[/name] ([name]Al[/name], [name]Ali[/name], [name]Alex[/name], [name]Xandra[/name], [name]Lex[/name], [name]Lexi[/name]…). When I was a child there weren’t many kids who could remember my name so I just went by different nicknames. I liked that as a child!

Out of all my friends, only a small number doesn’t have a nickname. Actually, there’s only one: My best friend!

And she doesn’t like the fact that none of her names can be turned into a nickname (she’s [name]Rahel[/name] [name]Janne[/name] [name]Aurelia[/name]).

Anyway, out of the names I really like [name]Olivia[/name] and [name]Odette[/name]^^

What do you think of [name]Isobel[/name] (Or [name]Isobelle[/name])? It is a great match for [name]Nicholas[/name] imho (and a great variant of [name]Isabelle[/name])

Good [name]Luck[/name] finding the right name!

[name]How[/name] about [name]Olivia[/name] [name]Rose[/name] or [name]Olivia[/name] [name]Grace[/name]?

[name]Hi[/name] there, I have picked my favorites from your list and listed some possible combinations that I like.

[name]Eliana[/name]
[name]Sabrina[/name]
[name]Jordana[/name]
[name]Larissa[/name]
[name]Isabelle[/name]
[name]Meredith[/name]
[name]Alexandra[/name]
[name]Jasmine[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name]

[name]Eliana[/name] [name]Vivian[/name], [name]Meredith[/name] [name]Claire[/name], [name]Alexandra[/name] [name]Jade[/name] and [name]Jordana[/name] [name]Grace[/name]

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

My fave from your list is [name]Meredith[/name] - its so gorgeous. It will take her throughout life remaining appropriate to her age. I also think it goes well with [name]Nicholas[/name].

As for middle name, you have gone for something more modern in [name]Parker[/name] so why not marry that idea for [name]Meredith[/name]. [name]Meredith[/name] [name]Emme[/name], [name]Meredith[/name] [name]Autumn[/name], [name]Meredith[/name] [name]Bronte[/name]??

Good luck xx

My favorites:
[name]Larissa[/name] [name]Grace[/name], [name]Larissa[/name] [name]Claire[/name], [name]Larissa[/name] [name]Vivian[/name]
[name]Gia[/name] [name]Simone[/name], [name]Gia[/name] [name]Meredith[/name], [name]Gia[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Meredith[/name] [name]Claire[/name], [name]Meredith[/name] [name]Simone[/name], [name]Meredith[/name] [name]Grace[/name], [name]Meredith[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
Gorgeous names!