Please help us narrow down our random list of girls' names!

My hubby and I put together a list of names that we would consider using if we ever have a daughter. (Not pregnant yet.) We both agree that if we have a boy he will most likly be named [name]Griffin[/name], but I’m having the hardest time finding that ‘perfect’ name for a girl. I know we have plenty of time, but I love names and I love dreaming about our future kids’ names. Here’s our list so far. Please tell me what you think, and if you have any suggestions I’d [name]LOVE[/name] to hear them! Thanks in advance!! :slight_smile:

[name]Elena[/name] (uh-[name]LAY[/name]-na)
[name]Laney[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name] (not sure on spelling)
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Coralie[/name] (this has been my fav but now I’m not sure & hubs likes others better)
[name]Carina[/name]
[name]Cara[/name]
[name]Lacy[/name] (hubby’s likes, not sure if I do)
[name]Lila[/name]
[name]Raquel[/name]
[name]Ruth[/name] (maybe more for a middle?)
[name]Nyla[/name]
[name]Sarina[/name]
[name]Aurelia[/name] (how do YOU pronounce this?)
[name]Annalise[/name] (spelling?)
[name]Rhiannon[/name] (how would you pronounce?)
[name]Alina[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] (hubby likes, not sure if I do)
[name]Irena[/name]

So, what do you think???

I really like the name [name]Emmeline[/name]/[name]Emaline[/name]/[name]Emeline[/name]/[name]Emmaline[/name]…haha. I’m not sure how I’d spell it from the many choices, but most likely the way [name]Ben[/name] Folds (who wrote a beautiful song with this name as the title!) spelled it: [name]Emaline[/name]
(Pronounced ‘[name]Emma[/name]-[name]Line[/name]’ in the song)!
I also like the name [name]Lila[/name]. If your hubby likes [name]Lacy[/name] (I don’t care for it, personally)–maybe he’d like [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Leslie[/name]/[name]Lesley[/name], [name]Lindsay[/name], etc.?
I really like the name [name]Analiese[/name] (pronounced ‘[name]Ah[/name]-[name]Nuh[/name]-Lease’). [name]Annaliese[/name] is often pronounced ‘[name]Ann[/name]-uh-lease’, so it’s mainly a matter of preference there!
[name]Rhiannon[/name] is pronounced ‘Rhee-[name]Ann[/name]-Uhn’.
I also like the name [name]Alina[/name] a lot–one of the best ballet dancers in the world has this name as well, and it has really grown on me recently!
With [name]Coralie[/name], [name]Carina[/name], & [name]Cara[/name] and the ‘L’ names listed, I think a nice compromise might be [name]Carla[/name], [name]Carly[/name], [name]Carleigh[/name], [name]Carolee[/name], [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Carolina[/name], etc…
Best,
L.

I love [name]Aurelia[/name]! I pronounce it or-ail-ya if I say it fast or or-ail-ee-ah if I say it slowly. I also like [name]Coralie[/name] and [name]Annalise[/name] from you list. [name]Victoria[/name] I like as a middle name for either of those. [name]Raquel[/name] is another good name for the middle name spot.

From your list, I like:

[name]Elena[/name] (uh-[name]LAY[/name]-na) - with [name]Laney[/name] as a nickname
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Lila[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name]

I would say [name]Aurelia[/name] ah-REEL-ya and [name]Rhiannon[/name] [name]REE[/name]-ann-un, and spell [name]Anneliese[/name] that way. And I like all three.

[name]Elena[/name] (uh-[name]LAY[/name]-na) - I like this one, but she will forever have people calling her [name]Eleanor[/name]. But if that doesn’t bother you then this is a good name. Nn [name]Ellie[/name]? [name]Layla[/name]?

[name]Laney[/name] - This one doesn’t stand out to me but I can see it being pretty on a little girl

[name]Emmeline[/name] (not sure on spelling) - Again, this doesn’t stand out to me. It is quite a long name for a young child to carry, but will be suitable when she’s older. Again, nn [name]Ellie[/name]?

[name]Cecily[/name] - This is ok, always sounds like an old lady to me :frowning: (Please don’t take offence)

[name]Coralie[/name] (this has been my fav but now I’m not sure & hubs likes others better) - Beautiful for a girl, very feminine

[name]Carina[/name] - Again, beautiful. Perhaps you’ll like [name]Carys[/name] or [name]Caroline[/name]?

[name]Cara[/name] - [name]Lovely[/name]. Would you pronounce Car-a or Care-a?

[name]Lacy[/name] (hubby’s likes, not sure if I do) - Doesn’t sound finished to me

[name]Lila[/name] - Maybe get mixed up with all the Lilys?

[name]Raquel[/name] - [name]Don[/name]'t like this one, perhaps [name]Rachel[/name]?

[name]Ruth[/name] (maybe more for a middle?) - Definately for a middle. Struggle seeing this as a whole name

[name]Nyla[/name] - i’ve not heard this one before, I’m not sure about it.

[name]Sarina[/name] - It’s ok.

[name]Aurelia[/name] (how do YOU pronounce this?) - I say Aur-ey-le-a. It’s so pretty and feminine. NN lia?

[name]Annalise[/name] (spelling?) - Beautiful, not sure of original spelling myself though

[name]Rhiannon[/name] (how would you pronounce?) - Re-ann-on. Very nice.

[name]Alina[/name] - Similar to [name]Elina[/name], may have problems pronouncing and spelling with other peopel

[name]Victoria[/name] (hubby likes, not sure if I do) - It’s nice to see, but I’d never use it myself.

My favourites have to be [name]Elina[/name] and [name]Coralie[/name]. Perhaps you could have:
[name]Elina[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Elina[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Elina[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Elina[/name] [name]Marie[/name]

[name]Coralie[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Coralia[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Coralie[/name] [name]Harper[/name]

You may also like
[name]Rachel[/name]
[name]Carys[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]

Dancersventure, thanks for sharing your thought and thanks for you suggestions!
My hubby does like [name]Lucy[/name], but I just can’t really picture using it. It’s one of those names that I would think is cute on someone else’s daughter, but can’t see myself useing personally. ([name]Don[/name]'t know if that makes any sence???)
I like both pronunciations of [name]Annalise[/name], but we’d most likly use [name]ANN[/name]-uh-leese.
I love your suggestion of [name]Caroline[/name], but we have friends who just used this name.
Thanks again for your helpfulness! :slight_smile:

Aurelia (how do YOU pronounce this?)

or-eel-ya. I wouldn’t say the E as an A unless it’s the French version.

Thanks everyone for your feedbck! You all are so helpful! To answer a couple pronunciation questions… We are pronouncing [name]Cara[/name]: care-uh, and [name]Nyla[/name] just like [name]Lila[/name], but with a ‘N’.
Someone suggested (sorry I don’t remember exactly who) [name]Carys[/name], [name]Elina[/name] and [name]Caroline[/name]. I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Carys[/name], but would only use it as a middle name because I think it’s too close to my own name, [name]Carrie[/name]. [name]Elina[/name], don’t think I’ve heard of this, but it’s nice - not sure which I prefer, [name]Alina[/name] or [name]Elina[/name]. I also love the suggestion of [name]Caroline[/name], but we have friends who just used this name for their daughter.
Sooo thankful for all your help here! It’s helpful just to hear what others think of the names we’re considering.

[name]Elena[/name]: it’s pretty but that’s about it
[name]Laney[/name]: this seems more like a nickname than a real name
[name]Emmeline[/name]: love this name and this spelling
[name]Cecily[/name]: never been a big fan; I much prefer [name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Coralie[/name]: cute, but I prefer just [name]Cora[/name]
[name]Carina[/name]: ok
[name]Cara[/name]: pretty, though I prefer the CAR-ah pronunciation over CARE-ah
[name]Lacy[/name]: not a fan at all, sounds very dated, but I’ve noticed that men seem to like this name, for whatever reason
[name]Lila[/name]: has a very pretty, musical sound to it
[name]Raquel[/name]: prefer as a MN
[name]Ruth[/name]: as a MN, I think it’s fine. It’s rather dowdy as a FN
[name]Nyla[/name]: like it – it’s unusual and has a pretty flow. In the same vein, I like [name]Nola[/name].
[name]Sarina[/name]: not a fan, seems made-up
[name]Aurelia[/name]: lovely. I pronounce it o-[name]RAY[/name]-lee-ah, because I don’t care for the o-[name]REE[/name]-lee-ah
[name]Annalise[/name]: also beautiful. I like this spelling and also [name]Anneliese[/name]
[name]Rhiannon[/name]: I pronounce it ree-[name]ANN[/name]-on. I can only think of the [name]Stevie[/name] Nicks song when I hear this name
[name]Alina[/name]: pretty
[name]Victoria[/name]: like as a MN

My favorites:
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Nyla[/name]
[name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Anneliese[/name]

Suggestions:
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Nola[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]

[name]Emmeline[/name] - my favorite spelling, or [name]Emmaline[/name]. But [name]Emaline[/name], [name]Emmalyn[/name], etc look trendy and made up to me.
[name]Annelise[/name] - my favorite spelling, or [name]Anneliese[/name]. I would avoid any spellings of this name with anna due to my eye seeing anal. And my pronunciation is more ann-elise than anna-leese.
[name]Rhiannon[/name] - ree-ann-un

These are my favorite three from your list, but I also really like [name]Cecily[/name] and [name]Alina[/name]

[name]Elena[/name] (uh-[name]LAY[/name]-na) - I like this one
[name]Laney[/name] - Cute!
[name]Emmeline[/name] - I think thats how it’s normally spelled. But it’s very pretty.
[name]Cecily[/name] - [name]Lovely[/name]
[name]Coralie[/name] - Not my fave, but [name]Coralie[/name] is alot better than [name]Cora[/name].
[name]Carina[/name] - I like this one, too.
[name]Cara[/name] - Simple and sweet.
[name]Lacy[/name] - A little dated, mabye [name]Macy[/name] or [name]Dacey[/name]?
[name]Lila[/name] - Cute, but a little popular right now.
[name]Raquel[/name] - Not my style.
[name]Ruth[/name] - Cute as a middle!
[name]Nyla[/name] - Very cute. I know someone who spells it Nayla.
[name]Sarina[/name] - Not my favorite.
[name]Aurelia[/name] - I pronounce it uh-REEL-lia. But it’s really pretty.
[name]Annalise[/name] - I like this name and the spelling.
[name]Rhiannon[/name] - [name]REE[/name]-ann-nun. This is my cousin’s name.
[name]Alina[/name] - This one’s just Ok.
[name]Victoria[/name] - I’ve never been a fan.
[name]Irena[/name] - Too dated.

[name]Hope[/name] this helps!