PLEASE help with top 4 for our only daughter!

We are having a girl after 2 boys and i am over the moon:) however we cannot decide on names. my boys names are [name]Owen[/name] and [name]Sullivan[/name] so we love our Irish/Gaelic heritage:) Can you PLEASE give input on our top four?

[name]Meara[/name] [name]Kate[/name] (prn MEE-[name]RA[/name])
[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Kate[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Paige[/name] (open to other mn options here, but wanted a 1 syllable… was also thinking [name]Maeve[/name] but didn’t know if that was TO irish as our last name is Irish also…)

I am loving them all. here are my drawbacks with each one that i can’t stop thinking about, wdyt?
[name]Meara[/name]- people say it wrong… Alot. also- i had no idea it is also a boys name? WHAT? would this bother you?
[name]Phoebe[/name]- of course people think of Friends… which i don’t care about though. sometimes the sound of this name is irritating… the double ee’s… anyone?
[name]Daphne[/name]- scooby. but again, it doesn’t bother me, i just hear it alot. i think the name is beautiful. i won’t like any daffy duck teasing or Daph nn’s though.
[name]Fiona[/name]- shrek. used to bother me ALOT. now, i’m kinda so-so on if it bothers me. i worry about ‘ogre’ teasing. but it is such a beautiful name that i would use it hands down if not for shrek.

our last pick for if NONE work is [name]Charlotte[/name]. this name is so popular now that i am trying to stay away from it. i love it, probably nn [name]Lottie[/name] because i am not a fan of [name]Charli[/name] really.

PLEASE HELP!!!

I like all the names, but I vote for [name]Meara[/name] [name]Kate[/name] and [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Claire[/name].

It’s true that some people will mispronounce [name]Meara[/name], but your family and friends and her teachers, schoolmates and friends will all know after they’ve been corrected once so it’s really only strangers you’d have to worry about - that’s my approach for any name that might be hard to pronounce. If the pronounciation bothers you, you could go with another spelling like [name]Mira[/name], which I also love but I guess is less Irish/Gaelic which might be a drawback for you.

As for [name]Phoebe[/name], yes some people will associate it with Friends, but that show’s been off the air for 6 years now and will seem even more of a distant memory when she’s a grown up. For example, I’m 26 so I grew up watching friends and it’s very familiar to me; when I was a little girl, Cheers and MASH were wildly popular shows that both had their series finale which was a big deal to people in my parents’ generation, but I couldn’t name more than one or two characters from either of those shows.

While I normally prefer [name]Daphne[/name] or [name]Phoebe[/name], I really think [name]Fiona[/name] goes best with [name]Owen[/name] and [name]Sullivan[/name]. I wouldn’t worry that much about Shrek. They’ve finished making the movies, and plus [name]Fiona[/name] is a positive character even if she is an ogre. As far as middles, I like [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Kate[/name] or [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Claire[/name] better than [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Paige[/name]. I think [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] works as well. Here’s some other suggestions:

[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Greer[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Eve[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Tess[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Belle[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Beth[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Blair[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Blanche[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Blue[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Anne[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Bryn[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Dove[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Fern[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Fleur[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Gail[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Hope[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Gwen[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Jade[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Jean[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Joy[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]

Honestly, I love all of them except [name]Meara[/name]. The problem with [name]Meara[/name] is the pronounciation…she’ll have to spell it out her whole life!

To go along with your sons’ names, I’d choose either [name]Daphne[/name] or [name]Fiona[/name]. I love both, they’re so cute!

Middle names for [name]Fiona[/name]… Honestly, I think [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] is beautiful, and it sounds great! But some other ones I came up with are:

[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Erin[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Saoirse[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Deirdre[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Tierney[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Shannon[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Caitlin[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Siobhan[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Molly[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Kelly[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Rachel[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Emily[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Niamh[/name]

Good luck!!

[name]Meara[/name] [name]Kate[/name] (prn MEE-[name]RA[/name]) – This is really beautiful! I think it’s my favorite. There will be some spelling/pronunciation issues, but I think most of them would be solved fairly quickly.
[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Claire[/name] – Very cute! Probably my least favorite of the four, but it is still a really awesome name. I like it a lot.
[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Kate[/name] – I love [name]Daphne[/name], and if anything would give [name]Meara[/name] a run it would be this. I see what you mean about Scooby and such, but I just think it’s pretty.
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Paige[/name] – Since I’ve not seen Shrek, I always forget about her. My first thought is usually [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Apple[/name]. I love this name and think it’s gorgeous. I don’t like it with [name]Paige[/name] though. Seems very abrupt. [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Claire[/name] is pretty and you may find other things that work too.

With these four names you really do have a tough choice!!

[name]Meara[/name] [name]Kate[/name]: Why not [name]Mira[/name]? I’ve never seen [name]Meara[/name] before except as a last name (which could be the boy’s name association you’re talking about). I think this is my least favorite; I feel like it doesn’t have very much substance or personality and the spelling will forever be a hassle. I like [name]Mira[/name], though, mostly as a nickname.

[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Claire[/name]: I really like [name]Phoebe[/name], and this combo is lovely. I get what you mean about the double Es, though… sometimes I feel like it’s kind of cutesy sounding, like [name]Fifi[/name]. It has tons of history, though, and I think that overcomes its somewhat juvenile sound. The Friends association doesn’t bother me personally.

[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Kate[/name]: I love [name]Daphne[/name]! I’m not really a fan of [name]Kate[/name], but [name]Daphne[/name] is great. What about [name]Daphne[/name] [name]Claire[/name]?

[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Paige[/name]: [name]Fiona[/name] is one of my favorite names-- I’ve loved it since I was really little. I don’t think the Shrek association is a huge problem-- I know a few little Fionas and as far as I know, they don’t get teased at all. I really don’t like [name]Paige[/name], though; I find it dated and masculine sounding and it kind of brings [name]Fiona[/name] down. Since you love [name]Charlotte[/name] (which is lovely, and I don’t think it’s that popular yet) what about [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]? That’d be absolutely gorgeous. :slight_smile: Plus, I [name]ADORE[/name] [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Maeve[/name].

Oh, I adore [name]Fiona[/name]! It is my favorite of the four, and my favorite with your boys names. Honestly, I think the shrek association is fading as we see more [name]Fiona[/name]'s out there (and I have met a few!) I don’t think it is that bad of an association, anyway. And compare it to [name]Oscar[/name] – so many of my expectant friends think it is cute and are considering using it; it is getting much more popular despite the '[name]Oscar[/name] the grouch" association. Most names have some kind of association with them – if the Shrek association is as bad as it gets, it isn’t bad at all in my opinion. If that is the name you love, go for it! Wouldn’t you regret it if you didn’t? [name]Imagine[/name] you name her [name]Phoebe[/name]. She is two years old and you are playing on the playground and you overhear a mother say to her child – “[name]Fiona[/name], do you want to go down the slide with me?”…would you have pangs of jealousy? Would you look at [name]Phoebe[/name] and wish you had just gone with [name]Fiona[/name]? If you think you would, stick with [name]Fiona[/name]. [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] is gorgeous, and not “too Irish” at all! I also really like [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Kate[/name] (depending on your surname).

wow, thanks guys for all the opinions:)

i do love [name]Daphne[/name]. and my DH loves it SOOOOO much that i am not sure i can even get him to consider another name:) he would definitely want [name]Kate[/name] as a middle name though.

[name]Phoebe[/name]… what can i say… i love this name. i feel a connection to it because i wanted to name my first born this if he would have been a girl. but now for some reason i am not sure if it is THE name, kwim?

[name]Fiona[/name]… ahhhh… it just sounds so sweet. i think the negative comments i have gotten have really ticked me off enough to effect my love of this name. we are both tall people, what if she is tall and over weight at some point? will people not say she is an “ogre” because of that association? maybe i worry to much. but i [name]LOVE[/name] this name. [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] is my favorite, or [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Claire[/name]. i see what you are saying about [name]Paige[/name]. i wasn’t feeling it that much anyway.

[name]Meara[/name]… ok. well, i do love this name. Maybe [name]Mira[/name] would be better. my DH isn’t in [name]LOVE[/name] with this name though. if i changed from the Irish/Gaelic spelling to [name]Mira[/name] (which is Latin/[name]Indian[/name]/Slavic) then he most definitely would lose interest. i think i ‘had’ him with the Irish thing at least:) but i am not sure i love this spelling either and i see what you are all saying.

what about [name]Stella[/name] and [name]Eva[/name]? these are two names that i am loving recently. are they to popular? how do they compare to my list?

In my opinion, [name]Stella[/name] and [name]Eva[/name] are getting too popular. Everyone seems to be talking about [name]Stella[/name] these days (it is a fresh alternative to the super popular [name]Ella[/name], plus [name]Matt[/name] [name]Damon[/name] just named his daughter this). I also think some of your other choices go better with [name]Sullivan[/name]. As for [name]Eva[/name], it is a pretty name, but there are soooo many little girls named [name]Ava[/name]/[name]Eve[/name]/[name]Eva[/name]. There is something about [name]Eva[/name] that is kind of boring to me, too. It is simply beautiful, but has always lacked character for me. [name]Just[/name] my opinion, of course :wink:

I think the 4 on your list are sooo much better than [name]Stella[/name] or [name]Eva[/name]! I think [name]Daphne[/name] or [name]Phoebe[/name] would be your best bet (I did like [name]Fiona[/name] best, but it sounds like you aren’t loving it as much). [name]Both[/name] are gorgeous names with a lot of character. They are not very common, but not weird at all either. People will recognize the name and smile when they hear it :smiley:

Between the two, I would give [name]Daphne[/name] the slight edge. [name]Daphne[/name] [name]Kate[/name] is super cute, and sounds great with [name]Owen[/name] and [name]Sullivan[/name]. I grew up watching Scooby Doo, and honestly forgot the association until you brought it up. It really wouldn’t bother me, anyway – and I don’t think she would be teased about it. Kids will find teasing potential with ANY name, but [name]Daphne[/name] just doesn’t strike me as a name that would invite any teasing. [name]Phoebe[/name] is a fun and spunky name, I guess I just like the sounds and looks of [name]Daphne[/name] a little better. I also like [name]Daphne[/name] [name]Kate[/name] a little more than [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Kate[/name]. You can’t go wrong with either one, though…both will age well! I can picture a baby, a cute little girl, a teenager, and a respectable adult wearing either name. Good luck with your decision, I know it is hard!

I love [name]Meara[/name] [name]Kate[/name]! I think the unique spelling adds all the more charm. I know a family whose kids all have names with Gaelic spellings. [name]Trust[/name] me, Eireann ([name]Erin[/name]) has to correct pronunciation and spelling of her name all the time. Rather than see it as a problem, I think it is a way to tell people that your name is all that much more interesting. I grew up as a [name]Jennifer[/name], and I would have definitely preferred having to spell or pronounce my name over and over rather than always have to go by my last name too.

I also really like [name]Daphne[/name], and think of all the names, this one may be best with your other names. I’m honestly not a fan of [name]Phoebe[/name] or [name]Fiona[/name] because I can’t get the associations out of my head, though I do agree they are pretty sounding names.