PLEASE HELP!!!

So I’ve been COMPLETELY set on [name]Alfred[/name] [name]Frost[/name] for quite a while now. We even told the name to family and they’ve personalized a few things… which i told them not to do, but they did anyway! And now all of a sudden I’m obsessed with [name]Angus[/name] and [name]August[/name]. I can’t decide which i prefer, I love [name]August[/name] because it’s got [name]Augie[/name] and [name]Gus[/name] (plus i love the month of [name]August[/name], it’s my birthday and anniversary). [name]Angus[/name], on the other hand, i [name]LOVE[/name] in full. I mean, i just love it so much. My husband loves it too. We still love [name]Alfred[/name] though, I think [name]Alfie[/name] is just the cutest and I love [name]Freddy[/name], too. I also like [name]Fred[/name], but he hates it… we both hate [name]Al[/name], though, and I’m so afraid people will call him that. Plus, not that this really matters, but we haven’t had the greatest response to [name]Alfred[/name], I mean, no one has said anything bad about it, but I don’t get the sense that they love it. And I’m not so sure that I exactly [name]LOVE[/name] it, either… I’m worried that my reluctance to tell everyone the name might have something to do with me not being sure about. Ugh, I just don’t know what to do. I know if I use [name]Alfred[/name] I won’t be able to use [name]Angus[/name] or [name]August[/name], because I can’t stand matchy sibling names. Also, I absolutely know that my first daughter will be Lulette, so I want to make sure this baby’s name goes with that. I think [name]Alfred[/name] would, probably [name]August[/name], too… I’m not as sure about [name]Angus[/name], though… but maybe it could work…

Please give me some advice, I don’t know what to do! I’ve got less than a month left to decide!

Oh no! I know how you feel! I went through the same thing with my first son, I was set on [name]Gregory[/name] for the longest time until I found [name]Griffin[/name]… I went ahead with [name]Griffin[/name] and am so glad I did because it totally fits him. [name]Just[/name] go with what feels best, they are all wonderful names and go fine with Lulette. But if you want my opinion, I would go [name]August[/name]. It’s an important month to you, you don’t have to worry about unwanted nn ([name]Al[/name]), and, in my opinion, goes best with Lulette. But most importantly, don’t go with a name that you aren’t completely in love with!

Oh [name]Lyndsay[/name], I’m so afraid the same thing is going to happen to us once we finally decide!! You’re freaking me out!! :slight_smile:

I’m hesitant to add to your confusion - I want to say just use [name]Alfred[/name]. And I like [name]Alfred[/name] a lot. [name]Alfie[/name] especially. But…I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Angus[/name] and am quite smitten with [name]August[/name] too. [name]August[/name]'s nicknames are his big selling point to me - [name]Augie[/name] and [name]Gus[/name]? Perfection! But in full, I think [name]Angus[/name] is such a great name with a really warm image to me.

I’m sorry. I’m no help at all. I hope someone else can be more helpful! Good luck!

My favorite of the three is [name]August[/name] because I love the full name and the nicknames. But you really can’t go wrong with [name]Angus[/name] or [name]Alfred[/name] either. I am sure that you will pick a good name. At this point, it probably would be a good thing to stay focused on those three names and pick one of them rather than suddenly picking something random that you haven’t thought much about. I think when I was nine months pregnant I had different name taste than I normally have. I suddenly wanted to name my baby [name]Ann[/name] which is a really nice name but not really in style. My husband helped me choose [name]Laura[/name] (this was seventeen years ago and [name]Laura[/name] was in the top 100 then.) We had been considering [name]Laura[/name] for several months. Now I really love [name]Laura[/name]. When I think of any name for a girl, I always think, would I love it as much as I love [name]Laura[/name]? [name]Laura[/name] isn’t the most unusual or creative name-that’s for sure. But it’s fun to say many, many, times every day. The best thing is my daughter loves her name. She wouldn’t have liked [name]Ann[/name], but she would have loved [name]Anna[/name]. So it was great that my husband was there to help pick a name. He knows me really well. I’ll bet your husband can help you pick a name that you will both really love when the time comes.
Sorry, this is getting kind of long, but I had one more thought. Think back over your pregnancy. Which name have you liked best most of the time? From now on, every day pick your favorite name for that day Who’s the winner? Maybe over the long term, that’s your favorite name.

[name]Alfie[/name] is indeed a darling name, and I prefer [name]August[/name] over [name]Angus[/name]. Can you combine [name]Alfred[/name] and one of your new name loves? Perhaps [name]Alfred[/name] [name]August[/name]? It’s wonderful how [name]August[/name], a name you love (and one with so many great nicknames), also has wonderful meaning for you.

Oh [name]Lyndsay[/name]! I feel for you, I’ve been in exactly the same spot you are and it all worked out fine. He actually looked like a [name]Simon[/name], not a [name]Simeon[/name] (which is what he was going to be). So instead of [name]Leo[/name] & [name]Simeon[/name], I got [name]Leo[/name] & [name]Simon[/name]. I had to return two blankets and a picture frame to the senders. One personalised thing we managed to save by erasing the E and removing the space.

[name]Alfred[/name] [name]Frost[/name] is so completely wonderful, I’d hate to see you toss it. Between [name]Angus[/name] & [name]August[/name], I’d find an [name]August[/name] combo I liked as much as [name]Alfred[/name] [name]Frost[/name] and take them both to the hospital with me. [name]Angus[/name], while I like him very much indeed, really feels odd next to Lulette to me and I’d if it was me, I’d write him off (or give [name]Angus[/name] to the family dog!).

Next time, don’t tell family! make up something really weird and refer to the kid by that name until they’re born, and then release the name! For example, we called [name]Josephine[/name] " [name]Bereniece[/name]" the whole time she was in utero. My cousin and his wife referred to theirs as “[name]Thor[/name]”. It’s quite the game to find something outrageous. Then when you announce, they’re so happy to see something more normal, they don’t complain at all! :slight_smile:

[name]Alfie[/name] is precious, and I like [name]Jill[/name]'s idea of [name]Alfred[/name] [name]August[/name]. Though personally, I’m smitten by [name]Angus[/name] too! I don’t suppose you could persuade your family to stick to initials-only monogramming?? Perhaps you should think of name combos for all three and then decide when you meet him.

I love [name]Alfred[/name] [name]Frost[/name] and [name]August[/name] more than [name]Angus[/name], too. [name]Angus[/name] makes me think of the restaurant [name]Black[/name] [name]Angus[/name] and I think of a steer. Which isn’t bad, but I’ve got to say [name]Alfred[/name] [name]Frost[/name] is growing on me so much. It’s gorgeous! What could be amazing with [name]August[/name]?
I will look on my lists and get back to you later.
Oh, I just thought of [name]August[/name] [name]George[/name].
From some of my fave lists:
[name]August[/name] [name]Blue[/name]
[name]August[/name] [name]Oak[/name]
[name]August[/name] [name]Cloud[/name]
[name]August[/name] [name]Canyon[/name]
[name]August[/name] [name]Lionel[/name]-this would be so cute because of the Zodiac sign [name]Leo[/name] being in much of [name]August[/name].
[name]August[/name] [name]Leo[/name]
[name]August[/name] [name]Lionel[/name]
[name]August[/name] [name]Forrest[/name] too much est at the end but I love the concept.
[name]August[/name] [name]Heath[/name]

perhaps i am naive as i havent had any kids yet myself, but i wonder why you cant wait until you have the baby to be certain of the name. i like the idea of seeing the baby before the name is finalized because i have heard of so many times when people have said they didnt think the name matched the baby after months of having been sure. so you could have all three names matched with middle names and then see which of the three you think matches the baby best when the time comes.

I agree, maybe wait until you meet him? I think [name]Alfred[/name] and [name]August[/name] are both wonderful (but lean towards [name]August[/name]). [name]Angus[/name] is cute but for some reason I don’t find it as dignified as the other two. Maybe because of the cattle association? If you meet him and really don’t feel that he’s an [name]Alfred[/name] then definitely don’t use it! Whatever personalized stuff he’s gotten he will likely only use as a baby, but his name will be forever :slight_smile:

Oh thank you all so much for your sympathetic comments! I’m still no less lost, though. I made a big list of [name]August[/name] and [name]Angus[/name] with middles, and on that list for some reason I put [name]Dashiell[/name] [name]August[/name] and my husband saw it and is now certain that’s his name. [name]Dashiell[/name] has been his favorite name since long before we were pregnant. And he called him that and the baby started wiggling around like crazy, so, he thinks that’s a sign. Ugh. Anyway, I’m not sure I’ll be able to get him off of [name]Dashiell[/name], now. One of his points is that he’s loved it since the beginning, which is true. It’s actually one of the only names that’s been bounced around for the entire pregnancy. And it does seem to mean so much to him. Also, I always get what I want, so it might be nice of me to give him this, since I don’t dislike [name]Dashiell[/name], and he loves it so. Plus, if we go with [name]Dashiell[/name], he’ll let me have free reign on the middle name, and I think it can handle two.

Today, I’m leaning toward [name]Dashiell[/name] [name]August[/name] [name]Nick[/name]… [name]Nick[/name] is my grandmother’s mother’s maiden name, and the middle name of my favorite uncle. If I don’t use it, it will likely be lost for our family. It would mean a lot to my mom and grandma if I were to use it, and I’ve never been able to fit it into a combo, but I think it works here as a second middle. [name]August[/name] not only has the meaning of my birthday and our anniversary, but my husband’s great and great-great grandfathers were named [name]Gustav[/name], so it could also honor them, also, one of our ancestors that came here from Germany was named [name]August[/name], which is kind of cool.

I think I’d probably call him [name]August[/name], [name]Augie[/name], and [name]Gus[/name] fairly often, along with [name]Dash[/name] and [name]Dashiell[/name].

Thoughts?

That is a wonderful name! It sounds wonderful and all three names have important meanings for you. Plus it has a ton of great nickname options. I really like [name]Nick[/name] in his name too and that’s really sweet of you to do that for your side of the family. And it’s good your letting you hubby choose, especially if you are wanting to name a future daughter Lulette. I say go for it, it’s perfect!

I love your last idea!! I’m not as far along as you are in the naming process, but I can sympathize with having trouble choosing between two names that you love! I think [name]Alfred[/name] and [name]August[/name] are both wonderful names. [name]Dashiell[/name] is also a wonderful choice. I think [name]Dashiell[/name] [name]August[/name] is my favorite combinations out of all the ones you’ve listed. It really sounds beautiful together. I also like [name]Nick[/name] as a second middle. It goes will with your combination, and it would be a great way to honor your family. [name]Dashiell[/name] [name]August[/name] [name]Nick[/name] is a winner! :slight_smile: Please let us know what you officially decide after your little boy is born!

[name]Hi[/name] there! Yea! I was so hoping you’d incorporate [name]August[/name] into the baby’s name! I think [name]Dashiell[/name] [name]August[/name] [name]Nick[/name] is a brilliant choice, combining classic, unique names with sentimental value.

I love your idea of calling him [name]Augie[/name], as I not only adore the name, but associate it with the two [name]Augie[/name]'s I know, both of whom are handsome, kind, and strong people.

[name]Even[/name] though you’re not in love with [name]Dashiell[/name], it’s nice that it sounds like you may let your husband have it. [name]Cate[/name] Blanchett’s son, [name]Dashiell[/name], is darling, and should you choose to address him by his first name, you’ll get to call him “[name]Dash[/name],” which sounds great.

And you know what? If you change your mind again and again, that’s okay, too! You’ll come up with something great, and you’ll know it in your heart.