PLEASE help!

I have just discovered this site and it came just in time - my husband I are struggling greatly to find a name for our second daughter, due in [name]June[/name].

Our first daughter is [name]Lila[/name] [name]Patricia[/name] ([name]Patricia[/name] is a family name). I love her name, but wished I had known that it would gain in popularity so much.

The two names we are considering right now (but are not sold on) are: [name]Adelina[/name] and [name]Aylin[/name]. The middle name will most likely be [name]Catherine[/name], after my grandmother who just passed.

My constrictions are the following:

• At least 2 syllables
  • Not an object or an adjective (would be terrible with our last name)
  • Not popular, but not overly obscure
  • Goes well with [name]Lila[/name], and hopefully with [name]Catherine[/name] (ideally, I’d love something that balances out the femininity of [name]Lila[/name], which is why I’m not sold on [name]Adelina[/name]).
  • I’d love a name with no nicknames (again, my problem with [name]Adelina[/name]), but depending on the nickname, I could be okay with it.

Any suggestions or opinions on the two names I have listed would be SO appreciated!!

Have you considered [name]Elin[/name]? Similar to [name]Aylin[/name], it’s the Scandinavian form of [name]Elen[/name]/[name]Helen[/name]
[name]Love[/name] [name]Elin[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] and [name]Lila[/name] [name]Patricia[/name] as sisters.

Otherwise, to balance out [name]Lila[/name] and with no obvious nick names

[name]Willow[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Juno[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Adele[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Aster[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Elsie[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Wren[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]

:slight_smile:

I like [name]Adelina[/name], but like you, I have a problem with the nicknames ([name]Addie[/name], in particular). [name]Aylin[/name] is built very trendily: ‘y’ in the middle, -lin on the end. It’s not really my thing.

Suggestions (I’m going for not-too-frilly, not-too-crazy here):

[name]Margo[/name] / [name]Margot[/name] / [name]Margaux[/name]
[name]Astrid[/name]
[name]Bridget[/name]
[name]Elspeth[/name]
[name]Tamsin[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Nina[/name], [name]Nona[/name], [name]Nola[/name], or [name]Nova[/name]
[name]Harriet[/name]
[name]Maren[/name] or [name]Maris[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name] (though this is getting kind of popular)
[name]Helen[/name]
[name]Sigrid[/name]
[name]Carys[/name] / [name]Charis[/name]
[name]Nadine[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Johanna[/name]
[name]Oona[/name]
[name]Alida[/name]
[name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Sonia[/name] / [name]Sonya[/name] / [name]Sonja[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Greta[/name]
[name]Petra[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Tanith[/name]
[name]Hera[/name]
[name]Juno[/name]

I also thought of [name]Iris[/name], [name]Opal[/name], & [name]Hazel[/name], but those probably break the ‘not an object/adjective’ rule.

Good luck!

[name]Mara[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Ingrid[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Vera[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]

I also like [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Catherine[/name], but it does have the nicknames [name]Mattie[/name] or [name]Tilly[/name].

[name]Love[/name] ppers suggestions of [name]Vera[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]. [name]Love[/name] [name]Adelina[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]. [name]Lila[/name] is so classic and beautiful but the y in [name]Aylin[/name] l looks so modern and trendy that it doesnt match very well in my book. [name]How[/name] about [name]Bronwen[/name]?

I like the idea of [name]Ada[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] w/ [name]Lila[/name] [name]Patricia[/name]

I like [name]Adelina[/name] but I think I prefer [name]Adelaide[/name] or [name]Adeline[/name] with [name]Lila[/name] since they don’t share the same ending. [name]Aylin[/name] is a little odd to me and I am unsure of how to pronounce it.

Some other ideas (I’m mostly looking in the 150-300 popularity range):
[name]Sarai[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name]
[name]Valerie[/name]
[name]Willow[/name] ([name]LOVE[/name] this with [name]Catherine[/name]!)
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Shelby[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Delaney[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Cadence[/name]

I love [name]Lila[/name]! I am not crazy about either of your other names. [name]Adeline[/name] would be so much better than [name]Adelina[/name]. And I agree with other posters that [name]Aylin[/name] just seems really trendy. I would suggest [name]Adelaide[/name]. I think it has a similar feel as [name]Lila[/name]. Definitely not popular.

Such great suggestions so far! Of the names that have been suggested, I like:
[name]Elin[/name]
[name]Nina[/name]
[name]Mara[/name]
[name]Ada[/name]** Really loving this one right now!
[name]Elsie[/name]
(I also like [name]Vera[/name] and [name]Willow[/name] but my husband does not)

I totally agree with [name]Aylin[/name]. Crossing it off the list. I couldn’t put my finger on what I didn’t like about, and you all gave me great reasons!