Please suggest some girls' names for us

[name]Hi[/name] there. I’m a Nameberry lurker and thought I’d finally ask for some opinions on some names to add to our list (for the future - no impending arrivals!).

We both like [name]Rupert[/name] for a boy but are not as agreeable on the girls. I prefer names with no obvious nickname although he doesn’t mind. Last name Dawkins and we are in the UK.

I like:

[name]Lyra[/name] (we agree on this one)
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]

He likes:
[name]Dorothea[/name] (a big no!)
[name]Victoria[/name] (I like [name]Victoria[/name] but I don’t like any of her nicknames)
[name]Eleanor[/name] (quite like this but not into ‘[name]Ellie[/name]’ or any ‘[name]El[/name]-’ nicknames which are so popular)
[name]Emily[/name] (not my style & too popular)
[name]Alice[/name] (quite nice but doesn’t thrill me)
[name]Louisa[/name] (also nice but not thrilling)

If anyone has suggestions to add I would love to hear them! Thanks! H.x

I like pretty much everything on both of your lists, but the one that I really love is [name]Vera[/name].

Suggestions …

[name]Martha[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Calla[/name]
[name]Mira[/name]
[name]Theodora[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Saskia[/name]
[name]Lorna[/name]
[name]Zinnia[/name]
[name]Delia[/name]
[name]Iona[/name] / [name]Ione[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Anthea[/name]
[name]Lucille[/name]
[name]Carolina[/name]
[name]Petra[/name]
[name]Nola[/name]

Thanks for the ideas! I like quite a few of these but have had firms no’s on [name]Eloise[/name] and [name]Iris[/name] which are my two faves from your suggestions.

Other names I like but don’t think I would use are [name]Opal[/name] and [name]Hermione[/name].

what about:

[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Sylvie[/name]/[name]Sylvia[/name]
[name]Meredith[/name]
[name]Martha[/name] (like pp - I love this name as it is mine:-)
[name]Rachel[/name]
[name]Christine[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Anna[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]

do you like any of these or am I completely off-track:-)

[name]Hi[/name]-thanks! I think I’ll add [name]Sylvie[/name] to the list, as well as [name]Juliet[/name]. I also like [name]Clara[/name] and [name]Martha[/name] but wouldn’t use them for other reasons.

hey, I think we just answered each others messages at the same time…LOL. Thanks for your response to my long list of names, too… Sounds like we have a similar taste in girl’s names:-) I do like [name]Lyra[/name] and [name]Eliza[/name] also…

[name]Lyra[/name], [name]Eliza[/name],[name]Alice[/name], and Sylive are great names.

Others:
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Ada[/name]
[name]Ava[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Delilah[/name]
[name]Juniper[/name]
[name]Willow[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]

I thought I’d make some suggestion to tweak you existing list… just some subtle changes might make them work!

[name]Dorothea[/name] (a big no!)… Maybe [name]Theadora[/name]? same letters different order… nn [name]Thea[/name]!
[name]Victoria[/name] (I like [name]Victoria[/name] but I don’t like any of her nicknames)- I have heard of people using [name]Ria[/name] as a nn… would that work for you??
[name]Eleanor[/name] (quite like this but not into ‘[name]Ellie[/name]’ or any ‘[name]El[/name]-’ nicknames which are so popular) [name]Eleanor[/name] is also a favotire of mine… you could use [name]Eleanora[/name] and have the nn [name]Nora[/name]… or use [name]Eleanor[/name] A… (mn begining with a) and call her [name]Nora[/name]!
[name]Emily[/name] (not my style & too popular)- what about [name]Amelie[/name] or [name]Amelia[/name]?
[name]Alice[/name] (quite nice but doesn’t thrill me)- maybe [name]Alexa[/name], [name]Isla[/name], [name]Alise[/name] or [name]Elise[/name]?
[name]Louisa[/name] (also nice but not thrilling)[name]Louella[/name] maybe? or [name]Laurel[/name]?

Regarding [name]Eleanor[/name] and your desire not to use an “[name]El[/name]-” nickname, my friend’s [name]Eleanor[/name] goes by “[name]Noor[/name],” which means “light” in Arabic. I think it’s an adorable nickname.

[name]Elsa[/name]
[name]Nova[/name]
[name]Anais[/name]
[name]Clea[/name]
[name]Aster[/name]
[name]Annika[/name]
[name]Briar[/name]
[name]Briony[/name]
[name]Vita[/name]
[name]Sasha[/name]
[name]Mavis[/name]
[name]Viola[/name]
[name]Maxine[/name]

I think it’s [name]Lyra[/name] [name]Victoria[/name]. :slight_smile:
I like that combo, and it’s also a win-win solution.

[name]Hi[/name] all - thank you for all the great suggestions. I’ll comment on a few of them …

[name]Ada[/name] and [name]Ava[/name] are both lovely. I’m not sure if I’m as sold on [name]Ada[/name] as [name]Ava[/name], but I feel like [name]Ava[/name] is too popular. I also have a bit of a crush on [name]Juniper[/name] at the moment but I don’t think I would use it.

I do actually really like [name]Theadora[/name] and [name]Thea[/name] - but I don’t like the [name]TheaDORA[/name] DAWKins together. That’s also the main issue with [name]Dorothea[/name] - Dor-[name]Daw[/name] don’t sound good together!

The [name]Nora[/name] and [name]Noor[/name] nicknames for [name]Eleanor/name are both my style, but the husband doesn’t like them.

[name]Clea[/name] is pretty - I haven’t heard that before. [name]One[/name] to consider.

Lastly, I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Lyra[/name] [name]Victoria[/name]. [name]Lyra[/name] is definitely my favourite name of the moment.