Please weigh in!

I am due in the next 2-3 weeks and don’t know the gender. We have a 2 year old named [name_m]Truman[/name_m] (nn [name_m]Tru[/name_m] to satisfy my bohemian side, [name_m]Truman[/name_m] to be formal enough to satisfy my husband’s need for it to be a ‘strong’ name). I have thought for pretty much the whole pregnancy that if we have a girl she should be called [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] (Loo-sha). I still love it, but the constant correcting people with how to say it may be off-putting…
What do you think of the name [name_f]Meadow[/name_f] or the name [name_u]Vesper[/name_u]? [name_u]Love[/name_u] the meaning of both. Husband loves the spunkiness of [name_u]Vesper[/name_u].
We are pretty sure we will want to use the middle names [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] to honour our grandmothers. Last name is two syllables, starts with N. If we have a boy, pretty sure he will be called [name_u]August[/name_u], again to honour family.
Thank you for your thoughts!

In all honesty I don’t think [name_f]Meadow[/name_f], [name_u]Vesper[/name_u], or [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] really fit with the name [name_m]Truman[/name_m]. [name_m]Truman[/name_m] I think it quite preppy and then [name_f]Meadow[/name_f] and [name_u]Vesper[/name_u] are definitely spunky/boho. [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] is absolutely gorgeous and it’s romantic/feminine. I still think that picking a name you love is more important than a sibset that sounds cohesive though in the end.

Of all the names I think [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] would be perfect as a first. If that’s not an option I’d go with the beautiful [name_f]Lucia[/name_f].

[name_f]Meadow[/name_f] is too out there for me. It’s about as granola as you can get and you risk the fact that the name could really not suit the personality of your little one. I just can’t get on board with [name_u]Vesper[/name_u]. To me it sounds almost violent and very harsh. I can’t imagine putting the name [name_u]Vesper[/name_u] on my resume.

Honestly, I am not a fan of [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] pronounced this way. There’s something off-putting about the oosha sound. What about [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]? I think it fits nicely with [name_m]Truman[/name_m].
As for [name_f]Meadow[/name_f], I find it lovely but also a bit hippie. Like a type of girl who wears flowers in her hair, long linen dresses and plays [name_f]Janis[/name_f] [name_m]Joplin[/name_m] songs on the guitar.
[name_u]Vesper[/name_u], on the other hand, is somewhat posh and definitely bohemian. Seems like a name of beautiful European girl who drives a motorcycle and speaks Italian as easily as her mother tongue.
So all in all, I prefer [name_u]Vesper[/name_u] with [name_m]Truman[/name_m]. You may also like [name_f]Vera[/name_f], Hesper(a) and [name_f]Esther[/name_f].

I think [name_u]Vesper[/name_u] is perfect with [name_m]Truman[/name_m] and [name_u]Vesper[/name_u] [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is lovely. I Laos think [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] or [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] work very well with [name_m]Truman[/name_m].

As for the possibility of a brother, [name_m]Truman[/name_m] and [name_u]August[/name_u] are great together. [name_m]Tru[/name_m] and [name_u]Gus[/name_u].

I would choose [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] or [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]. Both are lovely. I think of [name_f]Meadow[/name_f] as being a bit hippyish or boho, and [name_u]Vesper[/name_u] sounds harsh to me. I prefer the more feminine names of [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] or [name_f]Linnea[/name_f]. [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_m]Truman[/name_m] and [name_u]August[/name_u]!

I prefer [name_u]Vesper[/name_u] [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_u]Vesper[/name_u] has a nice meaning and a strong sound. [name_m]Truman[/name_m] and [name_u]Vesper[/name_u] sound really nice together. [name_f]Meadow[/name_f] with [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] as one of the middles is too wordy for me.

Honestly, I made a face when I read the names [name_f]Meadow[/name_f] and [name_u]Vesper[/name_u]. [name_f]Meadow[/name_f], I’m sorry, I just find a little silly. I don’t think it ages well or transitions over into adulthood. It’s very, very boho/hippy in a bad way. As for [name_u]Vesper[/name_u]…I honestly don’t know what to think other than it’s certainly not my style. I don’t think it sounds very feminine.

[name_f]Lucia[/name_f] is very pretty. Honestly, the way you are pronouncing it is the way I would automatically pronounce it unless someone told me it was pronounced “[name_u]Lou[/name_u]-see-ah”. [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is very pretty!

I think [name_u]Vesper[/name_u] is just darling with [name_m]Truman[/name_m]! [name_u]Vesper[/name_u] [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] has a light, elegant feel.

I will say, my instinct is to pronounce [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] as loo-SEE-uh, but it’s a name that I know has a couple of pronunciations and if you told me once that you/she pronounced it LOO-sha I think I’d keep it straight. [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] works really well, and of the three names you mention, I think [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] fits the best with [name_m]Truman[/name_m] and [name_u]August[/name_u].

I absolutely love [name_f]Meadow[/name_f]. I love it so much it’s my cat’s name - my husband and I had just finished watching The Sopranos when we got her and I was deeply in love with the name, and he said he couldn’t imagine ever using it on a child, so we used it for the cat. I mentioned to him recently that he hadn’t liked the idea of it as a person’s name and he’d forgotten all about that - we’ve used it so much that it’s fully a name to both of us now. I find it really sweet yet strong. [name_f]Meadow[/name_f] [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] would be beautiful.

[name_u]Vesper[/name_u] just reminds me of Vespas and the [name_m]Bond[/name_m] girl [name_u]Vesper[/name_u] Lynd and the word “whisper” - I don’t find it attractive at all. I think it would be a tough name to wear - it feels like a cartoon character name to me. Objectively, [name_u]Vesper[/name_u] [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] works well, I just personally don’t like [name_u]Vesper[/name_u]. I think that even with the pronunciation being a bit of a challenge, [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] would be an easier name to have overall than [name_u]Vesper[/name_u].

I like [name_u]Vesper[/name_u] (prefer [name_f]Vespera[/name_f]). Like [name_f]Meadow[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucia[/name_f], but [name_u]Vesper[/name_u] is nicer.

Thank you all! This is really valuable to hear the differing view points. I agree with @seazuno86 that [name_f]Meadow[/name_f] and [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] in one name is too wordy. It is really interesting to hear the differing takes on [name_u]Vesper[/name_u] as it was a contender in the last pregnancy as well and I remember it being really polarizing for people. I am actually quite surprised that so many think it goes well with [name_m]Truman[/name_m]! As far as it’s sound goes, I have had thoughts about it sounding pretty, as say, [name_f]Lucia[/name_f], but my husband thinks it sounds feminine and then I think about how my sister just had a little girl she named [name_f]Garnette[/name_f] and that doesn’t sound “pretty” per say when you think hard about it, but I still think it was a good name for them. Decisions, decisions! [name_m]Feel[/name_m] free to offer other options, although I feel like I must have looked up every name by now!

[name_f]Augusta[/name_f] [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is my vote!

I never really “got” the whole [name_u]Vesper[/name_u] thing until now. I am still not over-the-moon for it, but I’m warming to it. It feels somewhat Shakespearean to me so it’s got a level of sophistication yet definitely spunky. I think it works better than [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] with [name_m]Truman[/name_m]. I’m sorry, [name_f]Meadow[/name_f] is a BIG no for me. Not only does it sound completely left field next to [name_m]Truman[/name_m] (which sounds rather preppy), but I would feel so incredibly bad for an adult named [name_f]Meadow[/name_f].

Since [name_u]Vesper[/name_u] IS so harsh, I wanted to suggest some other names that kind of give me the same feel (the whole Shakespearean/spunky thing):

[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Cressida[/name_f]
[name_f]Esther[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Juno[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_u]Regan[/name_u]
[name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]
[name_f]Hermia[/name_f]
[name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Nerissa[/name_f]
[name_f]Octavia[/name_f]
[name_f]Odette[/name_f]
[name_f]Miranda[/name_f]

[name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_m]Truman[/name_m] go beautifully!

And I have to say, I love [name_f]Lucia[/name_f]. I don’t think you should toss it just yet. ( and I will tell you why) :wink:

And I looked at all the pronunciations, all are lovely, so it’s not as if she would be called something that different.
(Loo-see-a would be the mispronunciation you’d hear the most. Loo-sha would be how I would say it and many others .)

I have a name thats pronounced multiple ways and I answer to both…and I am regularly called both.

My parents even embraced it growing up, never correcting people and using one as a sort of pet name. Someone recently asked me which I preferred ([name_m]French[/name_m] or English pronunciation), I told them it depends on the day.

All that to say its still a great name with lots of meaning and depth.

Not to mention you can get [name_f]Lulu[/name_f] from it and [name_m]Louie[/name_m]; so many options.

And I mentioned the meaning, you might not find a name that has a better bohemian vibe.
“Graceful [name_m]Light[/name_m]”.

[name_f]Lucia[/name_f] [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]… So pretty!

I can see your concern, but I think it’s lovely still!

I like [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] the best out of your options.

[name_f]Meadow[/name_f] is just a wee bit too hippy like for me and [name_u]Vesper[/name_u] has just never grown on me, don’t know why.

I don’t quite get the “harsh” criticism of [name_u]Vesper[/name_u]. To me it’s soft and whispery - and a nice contrast to a lot of the frillier names that are popular now. [name_u]Vesper[/name_u] [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] would be my vote. I also agree that [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] would make a lovely first name, and that [name_f]Meadow[/name_f] may be a bit much, although I do like it. [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] may occasionally be mispronounced, depending partly on where you live. In the area of the US where I am there is a fair amount of Scandinavian influence, and this name would often be pronounced Loo SEE a.

@jacklynrose, thankyou for your insightful post! I like how your family just went with the different pronunciations instead of being annoyed or fighting it. It isn’t as though we hate the other ways to say [name_f]Lucia[/name_f], just not what we intend. My husband and I are in a field where we see people’s charts with names spelled out before we meet them and we often feel sorry for some of the kids as they are constantly correcting people and will be forever. I really like the theory of just going with the flow! I also love [name_f]LuLu[/name_f]. Husband has made reference to [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] as a nickname too, and while I think it is cute, but it is my good friend’s dog’s name so it does lose a bit of appeal! Hadn’t thought of [name_m]Louie[/name_m] before but you never know what ends up sticking! @Silah I love [name_f]Octavia[/name_f], and have brought up [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] and [name_f]Helena[/name_f] to husband too but the most I get is a lukewarm liking to [name_f]Helena[/name_f] from him.

I’m thinking the consensus on this thread is [name_u]Vesper[/name_u] or [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] then. That does help narrow it down. I don’t mind meeting her first before committing 100%. Sometimes you get so inside your head that it is hard to see from other’s perspectives. [name_m]Just[/name_m] a quick note about [name_m]Truman[/name_m], ([name_m]Tru[/name_m]) it is funny to me that a couple people have mentioned it being ‘preppy’ and I can kind of see that (last time people offered alternatives like [name_m]Preston[/name_m], which makes me wrinkle my nose) I view it as more of an authoritative virtue name like [name_m]Valor[/name_m] and [name_f]Honor[/name_f], but perhaps a bit old timey too. Maybe it is all the same, but just interesting. Anyhow the older he gets the more people comment on loving his name. Was perhaps a bit hard for them to grasp such a strong name on a tiny baby!

[name_m]Just[/name_m] to be awkward, I would pronounce “[name_f]Lucia[/name_f]” as “Loo-chee-a” unless told otherwise. I love [name_u]Vesper[/name_u], it’s a brilliant name!
But yes, don’t commit to anything until you see the baby as you may think whatever you’ve plumped for doesn’t suit them at all. We had decided on our daughter’s name the day before I went into labour and when she was born I just got really upset that it didn’t seem to suit her so it was back to the drawing board and three days and countless unhelpful texts from my family later, we found it.

One more thought…

[name_f]Portia[/name_f] [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]?