Poet?

What do you think of the name [name]Poet[/name] for my baby girl due in [name]April[/name]? I’m madly in love with it, but, I know my family would be shocked… it has such delicate, beautiful conotations for me, but I want to be fair to my daughter too - after all, she will go to school, be a teen, and get a job someday. What do you think? Quirky or crazy?

Beautiful, but probably better as a middle name. As a teacher, I have to say that I don’t think she’d have an easy time of it. It seems like you’re carving a life’s path for her with that name; I mean, can you imagine a financial analyst named [name]Poet[/name]? On the flip side, I know a nuclear physicist named [name]Bambi[/name], so I guess it could work.

I like the name [name]Story[/name] better. It flows really well.
Or you could name your daughter after a real poet like [name]Maya[/name] [name]Angelou[/name], [name]Sylvia[/name] Plath, [name]Eloise[/name] Wilkin, [name]Adrienne[/name] [name]Rich[/name], [name]Kate[/name] Greenaway, or [name]Emily[/name] [name]Dickinson[/name]. There are many more with beautiful names. I love [name]Edna[/name] [name]St[/name]. [name]Vincent[/name] [name]Millay[/name]'s middle name. She was named after a hospital where her (I believe) uncle’s life had just been saved before she was born.

Soliel [name]Moon[/name] Frye (Punky [name]Brewster[/name]) named her older daughter [name]Poet[/name] [name]Sienna[/name] [name]Rose[/name], and while I’m not a fan of [name]Poet[/name] as a first name (I can only imagine the endless teasing), I don’t mind it as a middle name. Have you thought of using [name]Poet[/name] as a middle name?

I have thought about it in the middle… I’m having a hard time letting it go though… does anyone know of names with a similar sound/feeling/ring to them?

[name]Petal[/name]
[name]Pansy[/name]
[name]Paisley[/name]
[name]Patia[/name] (Pay-sha)
[name]Padma[/name]
[name]Peyton[/name]
[name]Poppy[/name]
[name]Posy[/name]
[name]Paris[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Bodhi[/name]
[name]Jolie[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Eden[/name]
[name]Rainie[/name], [name]Rainey[/name]
[name]Zoe[/name]
[name]Tova[/name]
[name]Luna[/name]
[name]Haven[/name]
[name]Avalon[/name]
[name]Mauve[/name] (would be a great middle name for one of the above. Sounds poetic to me.)

I would probably use [name]Poet[/name] as a middle. I love some of [name]Susan[/name]'s suggestions. [name]Posy[/name] is adorable and [name]Patia[/name] (esp. with the Pay-sha pronunciation) is so exotic.

I love [name]Poet[/name] and I would totally use it if hubby was in agreement :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name] again. [name]Susan[/name] had a lot of great ideas, my favorites being [name]Eden[/name] and [name]Poppy[/name].

Personally, I would never name a child [name]Poet[/name], because I work with children, and am certain about the teasing. That said, if you’re still having a difficult time deciding whether to use the name as a first or a middle, why don’t you follow [name]Pam[/name]'s advice regarding unusual names (posted on another thread), and spend a day in real world introducing yourself as [name]Poet[/name], while paying attention to people’s reactions. After all, it’s one thing to love a name, but quite another to give it to a child who will have to live with it in the real world! :slight_smile:

[name]Poet[/name] is a beautiful word, and I think it does sound light and utterly feminine. Here are some more names you may like:

[name]Ever[/name]
[name]Aria[/name]
[name]Lyric[/name]
[name]Sonnet[/name] ([name]Sunny[/name] would be a cute nickname)
[name]Skye[/name]
[name]Meadow[/name]
[name]True[/name]
[name]Monet[/name]
[name]Auden[/name]
[name]Arden[/name]
[name]Allegra[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Coco[/name]
[name]Harlow[/name]
[name]Cambria[/name]
[name]Cambrie[/name]
[name]Astoria[/name]
[name]Holland[/name]
[name]Paisley[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Honor[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name] (has the et ending)
[name]Juliet[/name] (ditto)
[name]Winter[/name]
[name]Autumn[/name]
[name]Summer[/name]
[name]Eliot[/name]
[name]Emerson[/name]
[name]Sage[/name]

I have always been a huge fan of [name]Poet[/name]!
My mind wanders to the cutest and brightest little girl every time.
It is a name very unique, but not crazy at all. love it!