Poll: Edmund and Alistair? Or Edmund and Ambrose?

• [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] and [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]
  • [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] and [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]

0 voters

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] Berries,

[name_m]Just[/name_m] a quick and straightforward poll today to try and get some clarity about which direction to go in.

After suggesting [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] to DH he surprisingly didn’t turn his nose up! Lol - I was sure this would be another name he would immediately dismiss as being too ‘fanciful’ for a boy.

I’m excited at the thought of having an [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] and an [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]. The name is VERY under the radar here in Australia and although I do love that about the name (I do love my hidden gems :wink:) it makes me concerned that maybe a little [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] might feel a little too out of place here in the playground :thinking:

Also, would you consider [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] to be ‘regal’ sounding to match [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]’s regal vibe? I know that in strict terms, [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] isn’t a royal name, like [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]. But do you think that it sounds a bit regal?

I’d love to get your thoughts about which name you prefer with [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]:
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m] and [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m] and [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]

[name_f]My[/name_f] main concerns with [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] are pronunciation and spelling issues (I feel one might need to constantly spell it out throughout their lifetime due to all the variations). Lastly, if we were to ever have a girl I’d love to call her [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] and I worry that perhaps [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] and [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] are too similar sounding as siblings?

Thank you again wonderful Berries :hugs:

I’m not going to lie I’m still Team [name_m]Alistair[/name_m].

I feel [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] is as close to [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] as [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]. I also feel how to spell [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] will be asked just as much as how to spell [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]- especially if it’s not a familiar name to others. So my preference is [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]…

However you seem to love [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] so even though it’s not my preference it seems like a likely winner for you! And I say go for it!

2 Likes

Thank you for the quick responses!

I forgot to mention (I can’t edit my original post!) that we’d most probably name a daughter a variation of [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], such as [name_f]Adelita[/name_f] or [name_f]Adelisa[/name_f]. Are these too similar sounding with [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]?

I think they both sound very nice, you can’t go wrong with either. [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] sounds stronger to me, [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] sounds softer and more delicate.

When you get around to a daughter one day, you can decide about her name then. [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t base a current child’s name on a future potential child, since there’s no way to know if it will actually happen.

1 Like

While I still love [name_m]Alistair[/name_m], [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] & [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] sound like they were meant to be siblings! They’re both so handsome, sweet, and cuddly, while also being strong and brave. I love them together!
I think that [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] definitely feels regal enough to stand next to [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], I also don’t think he’d feel too out of place. [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] feels familiar sounding, and I’m sure he’d get complimented on his more unique (in a good way!) name.

Perhaps you can keep both in mind, and choose which one suits him more?

Also, I don’t think [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] is too similar to your variations of [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]! Besides, they won’t be referred to as a sibset their whole lives anyway!
No matter which name you ending up loving and choosing, you cant go wrong!

2 Likes

I really like [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] with [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]! I agree, [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] is probably more straightforward than [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] when it comes to spelling. I also do think that [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] and [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] or her variants are a little similar (because of too many shared sounds and even a similar cadence with Adelaide), but [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] works very well. Loving it for you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

So it’s kind of looking like the sibset you’re trying to determine is:

Edmund, [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] and [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]/Adelita/Adelisa

Or

Edmund, [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] and [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]/ [name_f]Adelita[/name_f]/ [name_f]Adelisa[/name_f]

I will throw my girl name vote for [name_f]Adelita[/name_f] or [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]. I could maybe see a very very slight similarity with [name_f]Adelisa[/name_f]. But I kind of feel all the names have similarity in regards to letter usage and syllables… and that’s including [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]. I don’t think any combo ties it to the point of being overly similar but maybe just makes it a workable sibset.

One thing I did look into is I kind of like the meaning connection of [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] to [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m].

Edmund - fortunate protector
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]- noble and nobility
[name_m]Alistair[/name_m]- defending men
[name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]- immortal.

I agree with everyone you really can’t go wrong with either sibset you pick! And thank you for keeping us updated throughout this process. I’ve enjoyed watching your naming journey!

3 Likes

Ambrose is wonderful alone but positively glorious alongside [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] (something about them both having that vintage nobility vibe?) so I’m fully here for it

Aldo agree with the above that [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] and [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] are a little too similar for my liking

As much as I adore [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] I’m also still team [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]. I just don’t see [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] being well received in Australia.

Having said that, I’m not a kid and names are getting more creative all the time. Maybe it would be a blessing to have a few little Ambroses running around in Aus so that the name becomes more recognised?

So if you’re willing to be a trailbrazer!

Adelisa is definitely too close to [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] though unfortunately.

1 Like

I love [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] with [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]! To me it absolutely has a regal vibe to match [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] and it just has such a cool sound. I’m also from Australia and I’d love to meet a little [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]. There is such a wide variety of names used these days that I really don’t feel an Ambrose will have any issues. I say go for it! I also love [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] but as you have a few reservations about it I think [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] is the way to go.

1 Like

I voted for [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m], but I really love both [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] and [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] (and [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]). You really can’t go wrong imo.

1 Like

Both are great. I don’t think you’d have pronunciation issues with [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] in Australia, though it has a few spelling variations. I also love [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] and [name_u]Augustine[/name_u] - very saintly.

1 Like

Love both of them and you can’t go wrong with either! [name_m]Even[/name_m] tho I’m biased to [name_m]Alistair[/name_m], I’m gonna say [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] because how you write about it. [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] and [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] sound wonderful together!

2 Likes

Thank you for your support again!

Alistair is lovely, classic and timeless and I agree that it is a fantastic choice. [name_f]My[/name_f] main gripe with this name is that I really want to pronounce it ‘[name_u]Ali[/name_u]-stair’, but in reality I know that Australians pronounce it more like ‘[name_u]Ali[/name_u]-stuh’, which I cannot blame them for. It is the most authentic pronunciation after all

1 Like

Thank you for looking all this up for me. [name_m]How[/name_m] sweet of you! :kissing_heart:

I can’t decide which meaning I like best - immortal or defending men? It’s a tough choice as both are great :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

LOVE [name_u]Augustine[/name_u] but DH doesn’t :slightly_frowning_face:

Thank you so much :blush: The more I say [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] and [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] together today, the more I’m loving it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

That’s a tough one! But I ultimately picked [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] and [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]

1 Like

Very true about holding a name back because of something that hasn’t happened, and may never happen :woman_facepalming:t2:

Oooh, thank you! I’m feeling very excited about [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] today which is a nice feeling after such a long period of confusion and uncertainty around the other names DH and I have discussed :sweat_smile:

1 Like